shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen is taking me for a ride

esttx

Rough_Rock
Good afternoon, PS community

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong sub-forum, but I need some advice, guidance, words from people who've been in a similar situation and/or have dealt with JamesAllen.com.

After much research and shopping, I decided to purchase an engagement ring from JamesAllen because of what seemed to be a very reputable jewelry site.

I had saved up quite vigorously to buy this ring, which was paid in full nearly a week ago. This is was in confidence that JamesAllen's site had said they'd have these rings bought by people before a certain date shipped to them by Valentine's day, which is tomorrow. I was planning to ask my girl to marry me tomorrow with the ring.

So, I purchased a ring on their site nearly a week ago, used a card for the purchase. Declined due to fraud protection. Understandable. It's bigger than an everyday single purchase.

I call them immediately as soon as I find out the card has been declined. I talk to a nice woman, and she tells me JamesAllen can send a payment request directly to me via email and through paypal so we can just bypass the card being used. I'm fine with this.

I get the email a few hours later (it was in the middle of the night), I log onto my paypal account through the email I receive from JamesAllen requesting the payment for the ring, and I pay for it in FULL. Confirmation email is received from Paypal that payment went through successfully and JamesAllen has the money.

Now, I wait and check the status of the order over the next few days. Getting dangerously close to Valentine's and when I need the ring for my proposal. There's zero progress with my order on their site. The same night, I get an email from JamesAllen that "if I don't pay for the ring soon, the diamond I chose will go back into circulation and they can't hold it".

?????

I rush home, get online, live chat with one of their agents on the site. She says they never got the payment and that I need to forward the confirmation email from paypal that the payment went through to them.

Okay........?

They give me Eileen's email who is the head of accounting over there. So I email her twice with the forwarded confirmation email from paypal with a description of what my situation is and how, at this point, I'm really not happy with my supposed proposal coming up VERY soon.

Next day (today), zero email responses from JamesAllen or Eileen.

I call them over the phone. Speak to a man. Give him my order #. Says he'll talk to management and accounting departments and give me a call back in 30-45 minutes. I wait an hour. Nothing.

I call them back, speak to a woman, she advises me to email Eileen the confirmation of the payment. (I've done this twice already with zero reply of Eileen). So I do so again.

I'm frustrated and getting very suspicious. (I have much experience with online retailing)

So, I call paypal to get to the root of the problem. Speak to a guy, friendly, looks into my account and the payment I made to JamesAllen nearly a week ago and tells me that there is NO QUESTION that they've received the payment and that they have the money. That's why there was a confirmation email from Paypal AND JamesAllen in my inbox immediately after I paid for my product.

He's says he's heard of the company and is not sure why they are taking me for a ride. Both him and I are both getting a bad taste in our mouths at this point and proceeds to tell me that I can file a dispute to get my money back in the next few days. Says this is a classic purchase claim and that he thinks JamesAllen is "buying time" and not being upfront and honest with me because they don't have the product I added to my shopping cart, checked out, and paid for. He apologizes that they're doing this and says that this is terrible business practice on their part.

This essentially ruins my proposal plans for Valentine's and, needless to say, I'm angry.

SO, now that I have the answer from Paypal themselves, I call JamesAllen back once again and tell them that there is NO QUESTION that the money was sent and that JamesAllen has been holding onto my money for the past week with zero product in my hands and zero email responses. She proceeds to tell me that they're "looking into it" and it'll take "1-2 business days". This makes ZERO SENSE as Paypal assured me that the money was sent successfully by them and JamesAllen has it. Then she proceeds to tell me that the first man I talked to who told me they'd call me back in 30-45 minutes isn't something they do and he SHOULDN'T have told me that and I SHOULDN'T have been stuck waiting by the phone for the call back.

????

I'm fuming. This is ridiculous.

Unless they fix this problem, respond to me, and tell me what's going on, I'm disputing the purchase and making this testimony known to my friends and through my online presence.

What was supposed to be an exciting and memorable time in my life has turned to anger and frustration. A week out, days before my proposal, I have no ring, no response from JamesAllen, and I'm out of the money I used until I can dispute it and get it back in ANOTHER 7-10 days.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have nothing useful to add in terms of specific advice. But I wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you're going through this! I am thrilled for you, however, that you have found someone you'd like to build a life with :)

Breathe. You will get to the other side of this, you will get a ring (from somewhere) and your efforts (and frustrations) will all be part of the epic saga of the love you sought to show your beloved.

Congrats on braving the journey, and keep your focus on the part that really matters: everything the ring symbolizes, not the ring itself. <3

esttx

Rough_Rock
pearaffair|1487024235|4128232 said:
I have nothing useful to add in terms of specific advice. But I wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you're going through this! I am thrilled for you, however, that you have found someone you'd like to build a life with :)

Breathe. You will get to the other side of this, you will get a ring (from somewhere) and your efforts (and frustrations) will all be part of the epic saga of the love you sought to show your beloved.

Congrats on braving the journey, and keep your focus on the part that really matters: everything the ring symbolizes, not the ring itself. <3

Thank you for the kind words.

*deep breath*

She's worth the anger and frustration a million times over.

However, I won't be dealing with JamesAllen ever again once this nightmare is over. And neither will anybody I know.

For their sake, I hope they figure something out very quickly.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Esttx, so sorry your Valentine's proposal has been ruined. That's awful. I've bought a few things from JA and never had any problems. I can't imagine what has happened. I do know when I'm making a large purchase my credit card company will text me and ask if it is me making the purchase and will not relase payment to the vendor until I've responded. Have you talked to your credit card company? Might be helpful? As PayPal has agreed you should be refunded why haven't they issued a refund?

Hope you can get something sorted before tomorrow. All the best, Elizabeth

esttx

Rough_Rock
ElizabethR|1487024722|4128235 said:
Esttx, so sorry your Valentine's proposal has been ruined. That's awful. I've bought a few things from JA and never had any problems. I can't imagine what has happened. I do know when I'm making a large purchase my credit card company will text me and ask if it is me making the purchase and will not relase payment to the vendor until I've responded. Have you talked to your credit card company? Might be helpful? As PayPal has agreed you should be refunded why haven't they issued a refund?

Hope you can get something sorted before tomorrow. All the best, Elizabeth

Thank you, ElizabethR

Yes, I'm under paypal's purchase protection. But I can't dispute the transaction until 7 days have passed since the purchase, which is coming up very soon.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe we can get James Allen Schultz to look into this...I dont know how to get a hold of him though so I'm hoping someone might
make him aware of this thread.

I'm sorry this has happened. Its ruined your Valentine Day proposal...that stinks. No excuse but I'm sure JA is super busy right now
due to Valentines Day (not your problem...).

As far as what paypal says...I would take all this with a grain of salt. The paypal guy doesnt know whats going on at JA.
JamesAllen is "buying time" and not being upfront and honest with me because they don't have the product I added to my shopping cart, checked out, and paid for. He apologizes that they're doing this and says that this is terrible business practice on their part.

If they dont have the stone then they need to get a hold of you and help you pick another one... Did you pick a stone that they had
locally? Because normally if the stone is not local to NY I think it would be hard to get a ring made up in a week (but if thats what
they said then thats what should have happened.)

The missing money thing has happened to me before...my bank subtracted a large amount from my checking account and said it
had been sent successfully to my credit union. Credit union claims they dont have it and it was not successful. Took about a week
before Credit Union said "Oh, here it is setting in this account..wonder how it got there?"

For your sake...I hope they resolve the issue as soon as possible so you can start over. I'd go with a different vendor so you can
get the dirty taste out of your mouth...

Keep us posted...

esttx

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1487024922|4128237 said:
Maybe we can get James Allen Schultz to look into this...I dont know how to get a hold of him though so I'm hoping someone might
make him aware of this thread.

I'm sorry this has happened. Its ruined your Valentine Day proposal...that stinks. No excuse but I'm sure JA is super busy right now
due to Valentines Day (not your problem...).

As far as what paypal says...I would take all this with a grain of salt. The paypal guy doesnt know whats going on at JA.
JamesAllen is "buying time" and not being upfront and honest with me because they don't have the product I added to my shopping cart, checked out, and paid for. He apologizes that they're doing this and says that this is terrible business practice on their part.

If they dont have the stone then they need to get a hold of you and help you pick another one... Did you pick a stone that they had
locally? Because normally if the stone is not local to NY I think it would be hard to get a ring made up in a week (but if thats what
they said then thats what should have happened.)

The missing money thing has happened to me before...my bank subtracted a large amount from my checking account and said it
had been sent successfully to my credit union. Credit union claims they dont have it and it was not successful. Took about a week
before Credit Union said "Oh, here it is setting in this account..wonder how it got there?"

For your sake...I hope they resolve the issue as soon as possible so you can start over. I'd go with a different vendor so you can
get the dirty taste out of your mouth...

Keep us posted...

Thank you for the advice, tyty333

If they didn't have the diamond I chose and paid for, they made zero effort to contact me and help me choose another for nearly a whole week. I'm assuming it was local, because the diamond I chose came with free fedex priority overnight shipping on/by Valentines day (tomorrow). But when contacted about why the payment hasn't showed up (via email forwarding of the paypal/JamesAllen confirmation email) three times, still no responses. Customers don't like to be kept in the dark and at a distance. Especially for this much money.

On top of the zero communication from them, the only email from them that I received was that "you haven't paid. pay soon or you forfeit the diamond you chose". I have no control over any of this, and I'm not about to lose the diamond I chose over it. Talk about the cherry on top of added time pressure.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hurry, order same ring from blue nile by 7pm est tonight for overnight delivery for tomorrow!

Then keep the one you like more.

What was the ring? If we all look, we can find it for you in time!!!

Make it happen!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pinging Jim for you.

esttx

Rough_Rock
whitewave|1487025841|4128243 said:
Hurry, order same ring from blue nile by 7pm est tonight for overnight delivery tomorrow!

Then keep the one you like more.

It may have to come to that.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can help you look to make it go faster if you want.

Alybetter

Shiny_Rock
That really sucks. I'm sorry your proposal was ruined.
I've made 5 purchases from JA and luckily never had a problem. Ordering a ring a week in advance before wanting it in hand, at least in my experience with them, isn't feasible in terms of the time it takes for them to pull the stone and set it, inspect, and ship. Heck, even ordering a loose stone, it still needs to be pulled and inspected. They don't really hold much inventory, it's all virtual.

The financial aspect and the back and forth associated with that is unreasonable. I really hope you and your partner have a great Valentine's Day.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is where blue nile comes in handy. They have a credit plan of 12 months no interest with immediate notification of approval and credit limit. They set and overnighted my make your own earrings the same day I bought them, and I received them the next day. He can likely have a valentine's day proposal still if he can make it work with Blue Nile.

Otherwise, maybe a proposal this weekend?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plus side of not proposing on Valentine's Day - shell never see it coming!!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey OP

I feel for you. Sounds like a Valentine's Day proposal is history. Maybe she is expecting a proposal tomorrow and she will be surprised, probably not in a good way, so if you do not propose tomorrow, she will never expect it coming over the weekend. Just might be a bigger surprise.

The only suggestion I can make for the future is to take the complaint to the top, you have been dealing with a bunch of grunts and dinks, the owner of JA, Mr. Schultz will be very unhappy about this post ever occurring. The PS vendors live and die by feedback on this forum and any negative feedback hurts future sales, at least for sometime.

Interesting to see what Mr. Schultz has to say.........

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It just goes to show you that even the most reputable companies can drop the ball. This does seem unusual for JA - but we've seen it on PS before with other respected vendors. People get busy and things get missed and it's bad bad bad but often they will go out of their way to make amends. I hope this is the case for you, OP.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest if you aren't going to propose tomorrow, tell her that as soon as possible in some way. She probably senses it and it's such a drag to expect it and then something like Valentine's Day happens and there is no proposal.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take the steering wheel back.
Just propose with a ring you make from string, yard, wire, whatev.

Tomorrow's still Valentine's Day.
Do you love this woman or not?

Marriage and life doesn't always go our way.
Take the lemons life hands you and make lemonade ... together.

Q

Queenie60

kenny|1487050195|4128421 said:

Great idea!! Tell her the ring will come soon! Agree with Kenny. Go for the proposal. :love: :love:

esttx

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the encouraging words, advice, and otherwise very helpful alternative ways to go about my proposal. There's obviously much experience here to be shared by this community.

I think I'm going to postpone my proposal plans. It took a doing to reschedule everything, but it'll be worth it. She's the type of girl to not care about whether it's a ring or a piece of string, which drives me even further to treat her in the best way that I am able.

As an update, I finally got a call back to my cell not too long ago, stating that the diamond is now on it's way to production, that the payment came through and that there was a mix up with names on the payment/shipping. Not sure what to make of this as I paid directly through the email they sent as a paypal payment request to me. I've done this with many many other purchases over the 15+ years I've used paypal and have never had this issue. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they didn't just "miraculously" find my money and decided to get my product going if someone from JA caught wind of these posts I was making.

Anyways, the voicemail from them (I was absent and missed the call) was very polite, but nonchalant and doesn't seem like anything is being compensated for me for these past events.

We'll wait and see if production actually goes through and I receive what I paid for, even if it is past the date they said they'd get it to me.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium

If I were the hypothetical recipient, this would be my preferred option :) Propose anyway, with a printed picture of the ring, a drawing of the ring, a ring pop, whatever. Explain there was a holdup, due to something out of your hands, but you didn't want to wait one more day to ask her to be your wife. I'd rather be engaged without a ring now (and you can still do whatever proposal plans you had) vs. wait for some unspecified time later!

Whatever you choose, good luck :)

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
Glad it is getting resolved. I have a hunch that when someone pinged Mr. Schultz, he got it done for you.
Did they say when it will be ready?
I would also request a refund/compensation for your hassle and their royal screwup.....hey, you don't have the ring today. They caused you a big problem, not your fault. I would not be shy to ask for it. And take it right to the top.

ps. Happy Valentine's Day to you and your GF (soon to be fiance).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely just propose, use a Ring Pop or something. Then include her in the process of selecting the setting and stone.

Not how you wanted it, obviously, but they ruined your plans.

And since the company hasn't rectified the issue in your favor--I'd want a significant discount for this disaster--in over a week, I would flag the purchase through PayPal, have them refund your money, and go elsewhere. It should not have taken our involvement to get this fixed. They have GOT to fix this CS breakdown.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post pictures when you get it...I think they do owe you some form of compensation for what they put you through (lack of
communication/knowledge). Dont know if it will happen or not. ::)

Hope everything goes smoothly from here on out...

E B

Ideal_Rock
I too think it'd be sweet if you still proposed today (you've been given good placeholder ideas so far, another may be with a silver ring from tiffany she can wear on her right hand when she gets THE ring) but if you want to reschedule, after all of this, I'd tell James Allen thanks but no thanks. Get that $$$ back -- we can help you find a good match from a different vendor.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to point out that the OP said he has already rescheduled things. So I'm pretty certain he's not doing it today. He just wants everything to be perfect! I get it.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with James Allen.
maybe they have dropped their balls during the busy valentine season; of course, it should not be an excuse.

Still, JA is a well established company and you paid securely with your CC thru paypal. It was going to resolve sooner or later.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
esttx|1487054551|4128453 said:
Thank you all for the encouraging words, advice, and otherwise very helpful alternative ways to go about my proposal. There's obviously much experience here to be shared by this community.

I think I'm going to postpone my proposal plans. It took a doing to reschedule everything, but it'll be worth it. She's the type of girl to not care about whether it's a ring or a piece of string, which drives me even further to treat her in the best way that I am able.

As an update, I finally got a call back to my cell not too long ago, stating that the diamond is now on it's way to production, that the payment came through and that there was a mix up with names on the payment/shipping. Not sure what to make of this as I paid directly through the email they sent as a paypal payment request to me. I've done this with many many other purchases over the 15+ years I've used paypal and have never had this issue. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they didn't just "miraculously" find my money and decided to get my product going if someone from JA caught wind of these posts I was making.

Anyways, the voicemail from them (I was absent and missed the call) was very polite, but nonchalant and doesn't seem like anything is being compensated for me for these past events.

We'll wait and see if production actually goes through and I receive what I paid for, even if it is past the date they said they'd get it to me.

I'm an accountant. Trust me, this happens all the time. Current technology available to most of us does not include an automatic, no mistakes made, way to feed your paypal receipt and the e-mail you sent directly into your bill. It's hard to interpret what they mean by names and shipping, but it's possible you share the same name as someone else, or their link to the post office claimed that you were addressee unknown because you left off an apartment number or spelled out East West Street (the eastern part of the street named for Mr. West), or any of many other minor pitfalls.

I do think it's unfortunate that they don't have a staff member able to correct this on a single phone call.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
elizabethess|1487084128|4128552 said:

If I were the hypothetical recipient, this would be my preferred option :) Propose anyway, with a printed picture of the ring, a drawing of the ring, a ring pop, whatever. Explain there was a holdup, due to something out of your hands, but you didn't want to wait one more day to ask her to be your wife. I'd rather be engaged without a ring now (and you can still do whatever proposal plans you had) vs. wait for some unspecified time later!

Whatever you choose, good luck :)

I agree- use a ring pop, or a picture or something but keep your plans...Or get a simple cute ring that she can wear sentimentally on her other hand once you are married. That's what my hubs did. I got basically a "promise" ring that I wear on my RH and we picked the engagement ring together.....

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you that you said you will rescuedule.

I do get excited at the idea though that you propose with a ring pop, get a refund from James Allen (There are some issues with businesses where I don't give a second chance, and this is one of them), and then sit down with her tonight and let her choose from Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, Blue Nile, etc. You can explain to her all of the things you learned about cut and crown angles and I'm telling you: you would be the super mac daddy of fiancees. .... 8-) :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results