shape
carat
color
clarity

Is yellow gold out of style?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mishy

Rough_Rock
When I got married 23 years ago it seemed as though almost everyone chose yellow gold engagement/wedding rings. Now it seems almost everyone gets either white gold or platinum settings. I wonder if this style/trend will eventually reverse itself once again. What do you think?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think yellow gold ever went out of style - it''s just a matter of what you prefer. I see a lot women of all ages wearing diamonds set in yellow gold at theaters and high-end stores.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
I think it lost its popularity with the young crowd for awhile but is RUSHING back in!!! I see it everywhere..... Last night I went to dinner with some friends and one of them had on yellow gold and it look BEAUTIFUL!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I think it is personal preference. I prefer yellow gold and know quite a few people who love it. My grandmother wears all yellow. My mom wears both. My sister wears white gold and platinum, so it''s all a matter of what you like. Don''t go by style and fads...

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I do think white gold/platinum are more popular right now - it''s hard to find anything yellow in stores these days.

On the other hand, it really is a matter of personal taste. I only wear yellow gold. White metals look "cold" to me, especially when combined with diamonds. My sister, on the other hand, pretty much only wears white gold.

The popularity of one over the other will wax/wane in the stores, but I''d say buy what you like.
1.gif

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
I like platinum/white gold heads with 18K yellow gold bands. I've always liked that combo.

It does appear that white gold/platinum is the most popular right now, but whenever I see a yellow gold setting on PS I always think "Wow, I forget how beautiful yellow gold settings look".

Bottom line, I think people should get what they like and what is most pleasing to them. Fads will come and go and if you want to keep up with the latest styles, then you can reset your diamonds from time to time.
2.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the look of YG on me because I'm quite pale and pink.
2.gif
However, I just got an upgrade diamond, and all sources are *urging* me to go white metal with the remounting. It came in a YG setting, which I think is throwing off the colour of the diamond solitaire a bit. I think the white metals are going to be "in" for a while. I say go with what you like best, and what suits you.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure about this...but it might have something to do what is offered and how it is marketed. The majority of people get their rings in B&M stores, including those in the mall. The majority of the rings that are featured in yellow gold are usually a little bit chunkier, and/or feature marquise or pear diamonds, both aesthetics which usually speak to the older generations. The rings in WG are usually a bit more modern, and more often feature princess cuts, which is definitely a younger generation thing.

To be 100% honest, as a young twentysomething, I prefer WG and associate YG with people of my parents age... and i can''t personally decide if i prefer WG because of that, or for other reasons (I don''t remember ever liking anything in yellow gold!).either way, i would hope that nobody would opt for one or the other because it is trendy. just my 2 cents!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yellow gold will be back. I''ve lived through the popularity of yellow gold, white gold and platinum.

It seems like everything goes through a "cycle." What was once "out of style" will be back in style.

Like grandma''s filigree platinum and diamond ring. Today alot of folks are buying vintage reproductions.

Jeff Averbook, G.G. (Graduate Gemologist since 1986)
Medford, MA

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Lots of folks look better in yellow gold and i think it is making a come back in fashion jewelry, two tone watches, etc. It seems like most high end jewelers have not caught on yet-- still doing Yg and platinum. I think the platinum thing is really because of some GREAT MARKETING campaign.

I just got my first pair of diamond studs and even thought a tiny bit inside of me wanted yellow- I went with white because supposedly will "never" go out of style because can hardly see in small settings. HOWEVER- I sort of regret it because WG looks cold on me- like steel.

We should all wear what we know looks best on us!

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/31/2007 3:47:06 PM
Author: mimzy
I''m not sure about this...but it might have something to do what is offered and how it is marketed. The majority of people get their rings in B&M stores, including those in the mall. The majority of the rings that are featured in yellow gold are usually a little bit chunkier, and/or feature marquise or pear diamonds, both aesthetics which usually speak to the older generations. The rings in WG are usually a bit more modern, and more often feature princess cuts, which is definitely a younger generation thing.

To be 100% honest, as a young twentysomething, I prefer WG and associate YG with people of my parents age... and i can''t personally decide if i prefer WG because of that, or for other reasons (I don''t remember ever liking anything in yellow gold!).either way, i would hope that nobody would opt for one or the other because it is trendy. just my 2 cents!
I completely agree. Most of my friends have WG and platinum, but both my mother and FI''s mother''s wedding sets are YG. I just see a lot of YG on more mature-looking styles. I have jewelry in both colors, but I went with platinum for my e-ring because I think it was the only option (although to be fair, I didn''t ask.)

I do wonder if the platinum/pave combo will eventually date my ring, but I figure that''ll just be a great excuse to upgrade!
3.gif

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure about this...but it might have something to do what is offered and how it is marketed. The majority of people get their rings in B&M stores, including those in the mall. The majority of the rings that are featured in yellow gold are usually a little bit chunkier, and/or feature marquise or pear diamonds, both aesthetics which usually speak to the older generations. The rings in WG are usually a bit more modern, and more often feature princess cuts, which is definitely a younger generation thing.

To be 100% honest, as a young twentysomething, I prefer WG and associate YG with people of my parents age... and i can't personally decide if i prefer WG because of that, or for other reasons (I don't remember ever liking anything in yellow gold!).either way, i would hope that nobody would opt for one or the other because it is trendy. just my 2 cents!

"... aesthetics which usually speak to the older generations..." OMG, we've got participants young enough that they think they see more than one older generation out there. > Nope, they're still not talkin' about me... Note to self: Sell that marquise & pear. ROTFL.

We already slugged this topic out in this thread: yellow gold There are still YG settings out there, but not many vintage-pave' YG options. Seems if you want antique, you almost have to pick a white metal or pay top dollar for something specially made in YG.

Based on my highly sophisticated market research, i.e. what's getting dumped cheap on fleabay and in my fave pawn shops, I'd say there's been an uptick in interest in YG recently. I picked up several used high end YG semimounts on ebay 3-4 years ago and they were all $250 or less (avg. $100 - $125) with .5ct or so of nice diamonds in them. Now I don't even see many YG mountings listed and there is more bidding competition.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And I even snagged this vintage style 2-tone that's considered YG, even though there's a lot of WG in there. I am so ready for the comeback, LOL.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2007 8:32:47 PM
Author: AdaBeta27

''... aesthetics which usually speak to the older generations...'' OMG, we''ve got participants young enough that they think they see more than one older generation out there. <<Ada leaves room to go look in a mirror.>> Nope, they''re still not talkin'' about me... Note to self: Sell that marquise & pear. ROTFL.
LOL. My vintage 2003 marquise is set in a very sleek platinum cathedral setting. At 35, I''m not sure what generation I am in.

Thinking back, my fine jewelry from the 80s and 90s was almost all yellow gold. About 5 years ago, I starting purchasing almost all white gold and platinum, which I think generally looks better on my ivory skin than yellow. I do still enjoy wearing my yellow gold occasionally for variety.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that it is all about preference and what looks better with your skin tone. My original wedding set is YG, and my 10th anniversary three stone is WG...I love them both, don''t have a favorite metal!

Everything goes in cycles. In fashion long skirts will get shorter and shorter until all you see are micro-minis, then they will come out with the other extreme of way long skirts and it looks fresh and exciting. I think the same thing happens with jewelry. When platinum and white gold has been exhausted in the market place, they introduce Y.G. again and it looks fresh and new. Unfortunately, I am always two steps behind what is current. I just got my setting changed from yellow to white gold. I do think the white gold metal adds a lot to diamond settings though.

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
In my opinion there are two answers to your question.

#1 Fashion Jewelry - Yellow gold is extremely fashionable right now. Rose gold too. It''s 80''s glam all the way with big gold hoops, stack bangles, long "linky" chains, you name it! High karatage gold like 22 or 24kt is especially hot with soft textured finishes. 60%-70% of what we our going to show in our fashion book this year will be rose or yellow!

#2 Bridal Jewelry - White metals still dominate and I don''t see this changing. The reasons are many but the main one is white diamonds look so darn nice in Platinum. In my opinion engagement rings, wedding bands and studs will always be white.

People will mix and match more as the gold trend continues. I personally love the way a rose gold and yellow gold bangle looks when stacked together if your happen to be wearing more yellow. If you wearing more white jewelry how about a pink and a white gold bangle combination. This breaks up the routine of always wearing one or the other.

In closing, I think whatever your most comfortable with you should wear but every now and then don''t be afraid to mix it up. Try one of these combinations on next time you go to your jeweler. You might be surprised how it looks!

19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results