shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there any wiggle room for stone size in a setting?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I change my setting on my e-ring, I want to put a gemstone in it. Do I have to have the exact size of the stone that was removed? My stone is roughly 8.9 X 8.9, would I be able to fit a 9 mm stone in it? If I am looking for a gemstone what would be the smallest size and the largest I could fit in my setting?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm guessing that there is some wiggle room but can in no way say how much. If your prongs have stones on them you
will need to find a good bench to do the work. I think only a good bench can tell you how much or maybe someone
on the forum who as had a similar setting can tell you.

Good luck...it would be really pretty with a colored gem in it.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Luv2sparkle, my uneducated guess is that you would probably be ok, but I am obviously not an expert and it would be best to get a professional opinion to know for sure. One thing to keep in mind - I've learned from lurking in CS that some gemstones are cut a lot deeper than diamonds, so you have to pay attention to the depth measurement of the gemstone as well and choose a stone that will fit the depth of the setting in addition to diameter.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Only a jeweler could tell you for sure by looking at your stone and the mounting, but it will likely fit as long as the shape is the same. Where you run into problems sometimes is putting a cushion into a setting originally made for a round, and not checking the cushion's corner to corner measurement (versus side measurements). But same shape? .1mm shouldn't be prohibitive. It also depends on your setting style, what kind of prongs it has, etc. So the answer is "probably". :)

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ericad|1426090878|3845578 said:
Only a jeweler could tell you for sure by looking at your stone and the mounting, but it will likely fit as long as the shape is the same. Where you run into problems sometimes is putting a cushion into a setting originally made for a round, and not checking the cushion's corner to corner measurement (versus side measurements). But same shape? .1mm shouldn't be prohibitive. It also depends on your setting style, what kind of prongs it has, etc. So the answer is "probably". :)

I had a similar question; I have narrowed it down to 2 diamonds, and 1 setting. One is 8.05mm, the other 8.45mm. I was hoping to order the setting and one diamond (8.05mm) together from one vendor, and the other diamond from a 2nd vendor. If I like the 2nd better, then just have it re-set, send the original back, as I don't want to hassle with sending it back, having it re-set, then getting it again. Just easier to pay someone locally to do it.

Can I go from 8.05 to 8.45 comfortably in an RB? we are talking 2 vs 2.35ct.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dumbo...I personally think 8.0 to 8.45 needs a different head. Absolutely do not order a setting until you settle on which diamond you want.

Luv...I can't remember who made your e-ring, but I would call them. It is a different story when you have diamonds on your prongs. Even unsetting the current stone could loosen the the pave on the prongs.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I read someone Over in CC say usually a setting is flexible within .1 mm....however I do believe that depends on factors such as how the basket is constructed

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone. Leon made my setting. I love it but it has become a little misshapen. I am going to send it to him at some point to see if it can be repaired. I don't want to keep damaging it. I saw a tourmaline on Precision cut gems that was 9.09 mm and thought that would be pretty in it but had no idea if that was even feasible. I thought I could probably go a little smaller. I don't have any stones on the prongs, they are just double claw prongs. I guess there are a couple on the stems leading up to the prongs though.

If I put a gemstone in it I could wear it alone on my right hand. Three sided pave, as narrow as my ring, just lacks the strength of other rings I think. I am guessing that wearing it with a spacer and an eternity is what caused the damage, but I can't be sure.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other thing to consider is that often gemstones are deeper than diamonds. You'd have to consider the depth as well.

RockOnReen

Shiny_Rock
I had Steven Kirsch put a 3.83 ct radiant tanzanite in my old setting which previously held a 2.57 ct MRB. When we were working on the project, he gave me a range of sizes and shapes he thought would work and when I found a stone I loved, I had him confirm he could use it before I went ahead with the purchase. He did swap out the head, but I'm sure Leon could do the same if that's what you want.

_27831.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The head is really the thing I love the best about it, so I wouldn't want to change that! I am sure Leon could source the perfect stone but I would have a pretty strict budget. I will probably wait to see what Leon says about it being repaired.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results