shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Platinum really stronger/more durable than WG?

james88

Rough_Rock
All-
My girlfriend is convinced that Platinum is the only way to make sure her ring won't get dinged up, scratched or fade. From my perspective, WG is significantly cheaper and, you can always get WG buffed out or polished at a good jeweler. So my question is...is it really better to spring for Platinum? It's only a few hundred bucks in the long run, but it still seems like a waste (to me).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
james88|1326142259|3098679 said:
All-
My girlfriend is convinced that Platinum is the only way to make sure her ring won't get dinged up, scratched or fade. From my perspective, WG is significantly cheaper and, you can always get WG buffed out or polished at a good jeweler. So my question is...is it really better to spring for Platinum? It's only a few hundred bucks in the long run, but it still seems like a waste (to me).

Platinum of any alloy will get patina'd with enough use. Cast white gold will get scratched too, patina-esque - but it will take longer and the "patina" will be softer, and less "thoroughly matte". So will palladium. Die-struck/hand-forged gold is the most patina/patina-esque resistant white metal, in my experience of owning a variety of all four of the above.

Platinum and alloyed gold have different properties. Platinum is non-elastic and so logically is safer for prongs - if you bang it against the door the prongs will bend and continue to cradle the stone, alloyed gold is elastic and more brittle and more likely to snap. That said I personally much prefer 18k white gold - either cast or handworked - to platinum, and haven't had any problems b/c of those characteristics of alloyed gold and doubt I ever will, but I am also very careful with my pieces.

You will lose metal polishing either platinum or gold, but you will lose more metal in polishing gold - not something to be done every month.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Research this topic here. It's been talked about a LOT. I was a WG only person for a long time. With the price points being so close I researched the metals before we bought my wedding set. I chose Platinum and I am in LOVE! I love the weight of it. It does scratch. All metals do. It does patina. But it does NOT turn yellow. And I cannot stand the yellowing of WG. So for me that was a big benefit of Platinum. You lose way less metal over time with Platinum than WG. I think it's well worth the investment.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Yes.
However only you can decide if the price difference is important to you anyway.
The trade offs will be basically be patina vs. constantly re-rhodiuming the white gold.
Amount of patina seems to depend on the person wearing it (I haven't gotten any patina on my rings yet) and the frequency of re-rhodiuming seems to depend on personal body chemistry also. Platinum patina can be polished out however and its possible to get white gold that isn't rhodiumed. But then its not shiny bright white.
But as stated before this has been argued to death here.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1326164267|3099050 said:
http://www.victorcanera.com/platinum-vs-gold/

To VC, density does not equate to strength so that statement is wrong.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Platinum itself isn't one animal.

The platinum alloy used also makes a difference as to how quickly it develops a patina. I have a platinum-cobalt e-ring which has started to patina quite quickly. Other platinum alloys patina more slowly. Mark Morrell has an interesting discription of platinum alloys: http://www.mwmjewelry.com/platinum_purity.htm.

I chose platinum because my skin is acidic and tends to dissolve off metalic plating very quickly. I also like the option of cleaning my ring with ammonia (safe for platinum, but bad for gold alloys), and I like the weight of platinum.

People have owned settings of either material for 50-100 years+, so a properly constructed (not too thin) setting should last a lifetime in platinum or gold.

Keep in mind that rings next to each other of different materials will wear at different rates, so often pairing and engagement ring with wedding bands/anniversary bands of the same metal is a good idea. (Platinum engagement ring and 10k wedding band = wear hazard).

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
There is ample professional advice above about the gold. So I'll chime in with my own perspective.

I assume that your purchase is either for a significant gift, or for an ering. Hence the 'debate'. Unfortunately when it comes to items that are bought for her, to be worn by her, there isn't a point in winning an argument. Much less, winning one that has no definitive answer, but is a point of personal preference.

Would you prefer to give her something that she wants? Or something that is going to be a compromise, or perhaps, something that she doesn't truly want. Even if you could prove her wrong (which you can't really. Plat/WG/YG is preference as they all have varying qualities) I think the few hundred might not be worth saving.

Of course, the finances are something that only you could figure. It isn't a major thing. But if you Could afford it, and she Wants it... I don't think dissuading her is the right course of action. I think accommodating her is the right path to happiness :wink2:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
TristanC|1326171484|3099140 said:
There is ample professional advice above about the gold. So I'll chime in with my own perspective.

I assume that your purchase is either for a significant gift, or for an ering. Hence the 'debate'. Unfortunately when it comes to items that are bought for her, to be worn by her, there isn't a point in winning an argument. Much less, winning one that has no definitive answer, but is a point of personal preference.

Would you prefer to give her something that she wants? Or something that is going to be a compromise, or perhaps, something that she doesn't truly want. Even if you could prove her wrong (which you can't really. Plat/WG/YG is preference as they all have varying qualities) I think the few hundred might not be worth saving.

Of course, the finances are something that only you could figure. It isn't a major thing. But if you Could afford it, and she Wants it... I don't think dissuading her is the right course of action. I think accommodating her is the right path to happiness :wink2:

Amen brother!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And that just about sums it up 8)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1326207779|3099305 said:

And that just about sums it up 8)

ditto. You can argue back and forth which is the ideal metal, but there is no single correct answer. Some people prefer the "heft" of platinum, the way it wears, and that you don't have to redip to get the white color. All things considered 300 is not that much to get her exactly what she wants.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A sensible approach is buy the ring the way the recipent wants it. It is a present and ought to be welcomed as best as possible.

As far as metal durability and hardness go, it is all in the alloys used and the process of how the item was manufactured. Both gold and platinum in their 100% pure state would not be good for jewelry use as both are too soft. However, once mixed with alloys their character can be vastly different and far more durable. However, both platinum and gold can be alloyed to remain less hard and durable or very hard and durable. You just won't know most times in advance. One exception which comes to mind are tension set rings where hardness and reduced flexibility are required. Likely, such items resist wear a lot better than some other types, but rarely are such alloy methods employed in non-tension set items because the metal is so difficult to shape and work with.

I think the common sense approach works better with your problem than the scientific approach.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oldminer - you have such wisdom and I really enjoy reading your posts! Thank you for the information you have shared.

I agree with going with what the wearer prefers. Cost is a factor on most purchases, but considering the length of time we (HOPE!) to be wearing an ering and WB, the cost is not a factor. Go with what she wants - that's the biggest consideration!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results