shape
carat
color
clarity

Is J too Yellow?

pcd

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I am starting my search for a Diamond. Can you tell me if J is too yellow? This will be set in Platinum or White Gold?

If, in your opinion J is too yellow, where should I start? H, I, ?

Any opinions?

Thanks...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color is so subjective...to some a J will be fine but to others it will be too tinted. Have you seen any well cut GIA/AGS J colored
stones? You need to go see some in person if you can.

And are you talking round stones?

This video by GOG is really good...and may help you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcmSj8dOLRI

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Here's a currently running thread with J/K/L stones. There are also links in the first post to some threads with J diamonds to look at.

Color isn't good or bad and doesn't make a stone good or bad.. It's just a fact and you have to decide at what point seeing tint bothers you (if it bothers you at all). For that, you need to go look at reliably graded stones (GIA or AGS lab) and decide where you are on the color spectrum.

In order to not be predisposed to disliking color, I'd go to a store that has some GIA stones loose, have them set them up for you without telling you which is which and let your eyes tell you what colors you prefer.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-all-j-k-l-diamonds-lets-gather-here.228732/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-all-j-k-l-diamonds-lets-gather-here.228732/[/URL]

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a modern round brilliant, for me, yes - a J is too yellow. But color tolerance varies with each person so it might not bother you at all. I would go to a place that sells GIA or AGS certified diamonds and ask to see diamonds in the H, I , J range to see if *you* could see the difference!

pcd

Rough_Rock
This will be a round cut. I will be going with the best cut, so Ideal cut diamonds.

Thanks for the information.

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
I think it is hard to tell in photos as people only post the most flattering pictures of their diamonds. You probably need to go and look in real life to see how you feel. Personally as a lay person I can start seeing the tint at H-I and that's from the side. I can spot a J in a jewelers case a mile away. For me I like diamonds white or fancy yellow. J and lower for me only works if it is an antique (then they look rather cool) :).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For some, yes.
For others, no.

People vary.

You need to get out, views Js and decide for yourself.

Just look ONLY at Js graded by GIA or AGS.
Many other labs lie about color (and clarity) grades.

Since they return more light to your eyes (instead of letting leak out the bottom and sides) better-cut diamonds appear to be whiter (in soft diffuse lighting) ... but only face-up.
From the side, the angle we usually see our diamonds at, they look the same.

pcd

Rough_Rock
Do you think it makes a difference if it is in a Halo setting? Will it be harder to tell color since you can't view from the side?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pcd|1487717340|4131891 said:
Do you think it makes a difference if it is in a Halo setting? Will it be harder to tell color since you can't view from the side?

Not quite true.
You can still view the crown from the side.

Also make sure the diamonds in the halo are not too white.
The contrast may be annoying.

Alybetter

Shiny_Rock
I think whether a stone is too yellow is purely subjective, provided it's well cut, certified and performs well.
Like others have said, it either matters to you or doesn't. One thing that's certain, you can save a hefty chunk and/or go up in carat size by going with a lower colored diamond, if you like them.
I love anything in the N, M, L ranges. I would rather have a lower colored stone. J and K are pretty white to me. Again, subjective. Like others have already said, go out and look at them in all sorts of lighting, and check the threads here that feature them.

ETA: I've read that medium blue fluorescence can help with lower colored stones by making them appear whiter in some lighting conditions. I'm no expert, but perhaps it's worth looking into further.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For some, yes, for most using only their eyes, no.

As a vendor I often have the opportunity to show several gems to a client. One of the things that constantly surprises me is how many people come in with preconceptions about what is acceptable and leave with larger diamonds for less money because their eyes told them a different story than their study of the four C's did.

For me, it is all about the cut. Your eyes will be unable to tell the difference between an IF and an SI1 in most cases, and in many cases, between an IF and an SI2. You may be unable to easily tell between two to three color grades using only your eyes, especially from the top. However, you can easily tell the differences in sparkle and life even within the same cutting grades. Minor differences in cutting can make HUGE differences in the sparkle and beauty in a diamond.

Some of us diamond nuts have even become enamored with the rich buttery warmth of diamond that is properly cut in the "lower" color ranges. I am anxiously awaiting a Crafted to Order diamond that is expected to finish in the 1.50 ct range with a Q color. Obviously for me then the question of whether a J is too low is a strong, "NO! It is not yellow enough!"

I wish you well in your search, YOUR eyes will tell YOU what YOU like. I think you may be surprised at just how stunning a well cut J, K or even L can look. If the diamonds you are looking at are properly cut, you may be pleasantly surprised to see just how stunning any color looks, from D-Z.

Wink

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My wife has an AGS graded K and it faces up as white/almost as white as a GIA graded G. Really depends on your tolerance firtint. Some aremorese dirige than others.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

If you want to do a J color stone, I think a setting that covers the side does help mask body color, but stones in a halo will cause contrast and so the purpose will be defeated. I think halos and lower colored stones can be lovely, but for a better "match" in terms of the diamonds in the halo and the center stone, I would probably stick with G-H color stones, and maybe go to an I color center stone if the recipient/wearer is okay with that. Personally, I love lower color stones (I own an I color radiant and an L/M Old European Cut plus some likely J color earrings--uncertified), and I think contrast between the center stone and halo can be nice, but if the recipient isn't part of the decision (surprise proposal), then I'd stick with safer colors like G/H for value and more colorlessness.

Also keep in mind that halo stones are smaller and reflect light differently than a large main stone--sometimes even that contrast in how the diamonds sparkle bothers some people (might be kind of an OCD thing, who knows, but I have read comments on Pricescope from some who felt that way).

Strawberry129

Rough_Rock
rubybeth|1487772551|4132081 said:

If you want to do a J color stone, I think a setting that covers the side does help mask body color, but stones in a halo will cause contrast and so the purpose will be defeated. I think halos and lower colored stones can be lovely, but for a better "match" in terms of the diamonds in the halo and the center stone, I would probably stick with G-H color stones, and maybe go to an I color center stone if the recipient/wearer is okay with that. Personally, I love lower color stones (I own an I color radiant and an L/M Old European Cut plus some likely J color earrings--uncertified), and I think contrast between the center stone and halo can be nice, but if the recipient isn't part of the decision (surprise proposal), then I'd stick with safer colors like G/H for value and more colorlessness.

Also keep in mind that halo stones are smaller and reflect light differently than a large main stone--sometimes even that contrast in how the diamonds sparkle bothers some people (might be kind of an OCD thing, who knows, but I have read comments on Pricescope from some who felt that way).

BINGO! I have a 1.7carat H ideal cut and a memoire with 9 pointers wedding band (G/H diamonds)..it drives me absolutely bonkers when my diamond behaves differently in different lighting. Soooo frustrating!

The solitaire e.r goes dark and has these gorgeous sparkle and scintillation with recessed lighting at restaurants while my wedding band sparkles but the diamonds still looks white. :knockout: Also, the e.r looks a bit more yellow tinted under certain lights in comparison to my wedding band's whiteness with smaller diamonds. This is normal right???

If only I could tell my diamonds to follow each other and behave like one another! :lol:

-------------------------
To answer OP's question, we see these threads a lot and you have to go to a jewelry who specializes in ideal cut to know your tolerance when it comes to colors. Lots of posts here indicate that an I is okay, it was a bit too creamyish buttery color for me. Photos on a computer screen are very different than real life. I still see a yellowish tint in my H in certain lighting and that's fine with me, it doesn't bother me enough to spend thousands more as of yet. You have to find that level of "comfort" for your tolerance in color while thinking about the 5th C..which is cost.

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
After doing extensive research & watching countless videos, I took a leap of faith (with a 30 day return policy) & my boyfriend & I bought a loose J color diamond with an excellent cut, great idealscope image, GIA cert, etc...and very strong fluorescence yet no haze (which I also LOVE so this is personal taste). I LOVE it!! It's going to be solitaire set. I only dislike color when it's set in a halo or otherwise with noticeably whiter color diamonds. I have my mom's orginal erring diamond which is K color, no flour and I can notice the difference. My J faces up much whiter. My boyfriend however did not notice a difference so again, it's all in the eye of the beholder. He tried to find yellow in our J too and only could see it when in a tiffany lamp lighting that passed through yellow glass. I don't think it looks yellow or too yellow at all... On it's own it is beautiful with tons of sparkle. In the real world it's not going to be sitting next to better color diamonds. I previously owned a G color diamond but the cut was just very good and it was meh... what a difference cut makes, this is much better! See as much as you can in person. Good luck!!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Strawberry129|1487778279|4132112 said:
rubybeth|1487772551|4132081 said:

BINGO! I have a 1.7carat H ideal cut and a memoire with 9 pointers wedding band (G/H diamonds)..it drives me absolutely bonkers when my diamond behaves differently in different lighting. Soooo frustrating!

The solitaire e.r goes dark and has these gorgeous sparkle and scintillation with recessed lighting at restaurants while my wedding band sparkles but the diamonds still looks white. :knockout: Also, the e.r looks a bit more yellow tinted under certain lights in comparison to my wedding band's whiteness with smaller diamonds. This is normal right???

If only I could tell my diamonds to follow each other and behave like one another! :lol:

-------------------------
To answer OP's question, we see these threads a lot and you have to go to a jewelry who specializes in ideal cut to know your tolerance when it comes to colors. Lots of posts here indicate that an I is okay, it was a bit too creamyish buttery color for me. Photos on a computer screen are very different than real life. I still see a yellowish tint in my H in certain lighting and that's fine with me, it doesn't bother me enough to spend thousands more as of yet. You have to find that level of "comfort" for your tolerance in color while thinking about the 5th C..which is cost.

Diamonds seem to appear dark under bright light because your eyes can't process everything that is going on. I think melee tends to always look about the same (ie- not dark) because it is so small and your eyes are able to process it.

I still find myself surprised at the number of threads I read on different boards where people think that their diamond is going to be exactly the same looking in every light situation and that light would have no effect on it (and to attempt to "fix" the problem they go higher and higher in color thinking it would remain white at all times). Even colored stones do different things in different light.

You might find this helpful. Diamonds are D-G and all of them go dark in the spotlighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVfzIUXt8gA

And Brian Gavin explaination:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/news/why-do-diamonds-look-dark-in-sunlight/

Strawberry129

Rough_Rock
bunnycat|1487780794|4132156 said:
Diamonds seem to appear dark under bright light because your eyes can't process everything that is going on. I think melee tends to always look about the same (ie- not dark) because it is so small and your eyes are able to process it.

I still find myself surprised at the number of threads I read on different boards where people think that their diamond is going to be exactly the same looking in every light situation and that light would have no effect on it (and to attempt to "fix" the problem they go higher and higher in color thinking it would remain white at all times). Even colored stones do different things in different light.

You might find this helpful. Diamonds are D-G and all of them go dark in the spotlighting.

Hi bunnycat,

Thanks for the links! The youtube video is particularly helpful! I think it's all in our head that we know the reason why, but secretly still hope that the diamond 'behave itself.'

Funny thing is back when I did my diamond searching, I searched up all of these threads on how diamonds behave differently and I thought, "okay, I get it. Be realistic Strawberry129. A diamond has many different personalities just like people. It's okay."

It wasn't until I got my engagement ring and wedding band combo that I finally understand people's frustration with diamonds and how it behaves so differently (that's what makes it fun too I guess). When I find good lighting, I get so excited and giddy (my fiance ignores me and just shakes his head). :razz: When it's crappy lighting (inside my car for example), I just try my best to not look at it.. :wink2:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Strawberry129|1487785926|4132212 said:
bunnycat|1487780794|4132156 said:

Hi bunnycat,

Thanks for the links! The youtube video is particularly helpful! I think it's all in our head that we know the reason why, but secretly still hope that the diamond 'behave itself.'

Funny thing is back when I did my diamond searching, I searched up all of these threads on how diamonds behave differently and I thought, "okay, I get it. Be realistic Strawberry129. A diamond has many different personalities just like people. It's okay."

It wasn't until I got my engagement ring and wedding band combo that I finally understand people's frustration with diamonds and how it behaves so differently (that's what makes it fun too I guess). When I find good lighting, I get so excited and giddy (my fiance ignores me and just shakes his head). :razz: When it's crappy lighting (inside my car for example), I just try my best to not look at it.. :wink2:

I understand about in car lighting. It's the pits. Diamonds are basically mirrors, sometimes mirrors with some tint to them. But put a mirror in your car and it probably doesn't look all that great either.... :lol:

Maybe the vids will help with the overall color topic too.

I had an H in a halo with G VS melee, and then an I with med fluor in the same halo...it looked super!

rubyset2.jpg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This hits home as I have a J, so no, I would not call J "yellow"! :angel: Js can be warm in some lightning conditions, and can have a buttery kinda color, but most of the time Js are white! Here is a picture of a friend's round ex/ex/ex D (GIA) and my J AGS000 cushion. This picture was also taken in an office environment with "wonderful" halogen lights. I really think that people have different color tolerance. My first engagement ring (which unfortunately was stolen) was an H and I definitely saw more warmth in the J that followed, but I wouldn't say that I was ever bothered by it. If funds were unlimited, sure, I would go for a G stone, but I wouldn't trade my 1.5ct J for a smaller stone of higher color. Again, people have different perceptions about color and I really think that you should be the judge of what is acceptable to you. Set your priorities (cut is always first!) and then decide what may be a good match color-wise for you ;-)

img_3275_3.jpg

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have J color Ideal cut diamond studs, set in 18K white gold. Diamonds shows white when seeing from the top, and creamy white when are tilted. However, I still wonder if it wasn't better to set them in yellow gold instead of white gold, because with white metal the yellowish hue of the diamond is more noticeable. If you want to set it in white gold or platinum, may be it's wiser to go for H color diamond.

teslagirl1234

Shiny_Rock
Premium
For some, yes, for most using only their eyes, no.

As a vendor I often have the opportunity to show several gems to a client. One of the things that constantly surprises me is how many people come in with preconceptions about what is acceptable and leave with larger diamonds for less money because their eyes told them a different story than their study of the four C's did.

For me, it is all about the cut. Your eyes will be unable to tell the difference between an IF and an SI1 in most cases, and in many cases, between an IF and an SI2. You may be unable to easily tell between two to three color grades using only your eyes, especially from the top. However, you can easily tell the differences in sparkle and life even within the same cutting grades. Minor differences in cutting can make HUGE differences in the sparkle and beauty in a diamond.

Some of us diamond nuts have even become enamored with the rich buttery warmth of diamond that is properly cut in the "lower" color ranges. I am anxiously awaiting a Crafted to Order diamond that is expected to finish in the 1.50 ct range with a Q color. Obviously for me then the question of whether a J is too low is a strong, "NO! It is not yellow enough!"

I wish you well in your search, YOUR eyes will tell YOU what YOU like. I think you may be surprised at just how stunning a well cut J, K or even L can look. If the diamonds you are looking at are properly cut, you may be pleasantly surprised to see just how stunning any color looks, from D-Z.

Wink

Wink just made this eternity band for me with J color stones. In most lighting to me it looks super white but in others a little yellow. Also what I am wearing seems to reflect off the diamonds. I was wearing a yellow shirt the other day and the ring seemed more yellow. Also I had an Apple Watch next to it (same hand) with a white band (I usually wear Rolex), and super white next to it made it look a little yellow. All my stones as J color (5.08 with blue medium fluorescence), 3 ct eternity band Wink also made I-J color, ~15 ct tennis bracelet, 1.1 ct round necklace stone, 4.22 J color round earrings. This new eternity is almost 8 ct. I am very happy with J color as I could afford more diamonds at this color range. If I was to redesign my whole jewelry collection and had unlimited funds I would probably choose H color though just because if you have the $ you can afford it. :) I like big diamonds though so have to balance color with price. Most of my stones as VS clarity especially all other stones like earrings, engagement, eternity band. I highly agree with Wink, cut is the most important factor. Spend $ on the cut with less priority over color and clarity. Makes all the difference.

959A380A-ED56-4923-9B9F-A359FF9506E0.jpeg87A7474F-E523-4A84-8F21-DE9280C37004.jpegF1AD749E-6668-4037-A939-628753C90FC1.png2BF08E55-9431-4EB7-9A3F-F50A936A7CE6.pngC9F38DDF-239A-44C4-A15F-CE56DC17E393.png8B9937A8-3525-40E8-937C-1A068096B18E.png8A738D23-A1ED-405D-A0F1-DE6D1F4B34E8.jpeg71369659-C003-4F42-9A56-3C07DE5FFC77.jpeg3D919493-DD84-4DD5-ABA1-23A65E636224.jpeg3EBAC87F-6579-408F-9298-DFDBAB3FE80E.jpeg46F4C966-2D58-4674-BC5A-EE5688835652.jpeg9DD12E4C-A614-476B-A147-3BD37C20EE2A.jpeg826F3F3B-55AF-4144-862F-0A0D244847B1.jpeg5B9342D5-4DFD-4C2C-807A-1785B3F9EB41.jpeg7DB9C372-AC39-4233-B112-2D0DCEAAAF6A.jpeg

Last edited:

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
I think color is very subjective. And it depends on what is most important for you and your budget and how effected you are by color.

I ended up going with an H because I had a budget if 11.5K for a 1.5 carat. That was my perfect size. After being on this forum I have become more open to lower color near colourless, I wouldn't call J yellow. There are some beautiful stones in J that look very white.

I also feel after being on here I have an aversion to super icy white diamonds, that's what I wanted in the start but I really feel the H/I/J gives the diamond more character.

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
Wink just made this eternity band for me with J color stones. In most lighting to me it looks super white but in others a little yellow. Also what I am wearing seems to reflect off the diamonds. I was wearing a yellow shirt the other day and the ring seemed more yellow. Also I had an Apple Watch next to it (same hand) with a white band (I usually wear Rolex), and super white next to it made it look a little yellow. All my stones as J color (5.08 with blue medium fluorescence), 3 ct eternity band Wink also made I-J color, ~15 ct tennis bracelet, 1.1 ct round necklace stone, 4.22 J color round earrings. This new eternity is almost 8 ct. I am very happy with J color as I could afford more diamonds at this color range. If I was to redesign my whole jewelry collection and had unlimited funds I would probably choose H color though just because if you have the $ you can afford it. :) I like big diamonds though so have to balance color with price. Most of my stones as VS clarity especially all other stones like earrings, engagement, eternity band. I highly agree with Wink, cut is the most important factor. Spend $ on the cut with less priority over color and clarity. Makes all the difference.

959A380A-ED56-4923-9B9F-A359FF9506E0.jpeg87A7474F-E523-4A84-8F21-DE9280C37004.jpegF1AD749E-6668-4037-A939-628753C90FC1.png2BF08E55-9431-4EB7-9A3F-F50A936A7CE6.pngC9F38DDF-239A-44C4-A15F-CE56DC17E393.png8B9937A8-3525-40E8-937C-1A068096B18E.png8A738D23-A1ED-405D-A0F1-DE6D1F4B34E8.jpeg71369659-C003-4F42-9A56-3C07DE5FFC77.jpeg3D919493-DD84-4DD5-ABA1-23A65E636224.jpeg3EBAC87F-6579-408F-9298-DFDBAB3FE80E.jpeg46F4C966-2D58-4674-BC5A-EE5688835652.jpeg9DD12E4C-A614-476B-A147-3BD37C20EE2A.jpeg826F3F3B-55AF-4144-862F-0A0D244847B1.jpeg5B9342D5-4DFD-4C2C-807A-1785B3F9EB41.jpeg7DB9C372-AC39-4233-B112-2D0DCEAAAF6A.jpeg

WOW! Your collection is AMAZING. Love the engagement ring!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock

Stunning collection! :kiss2:

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
This hits home as I have a J, so no, I would not call J "yellow"! :angel: Js can be warm in some lightning conditions, and can have a buttery kinda color, but most of the time Js are white! Here is a picture of a friend's round ex/ex/ex D (GIA) and my J AGS000 cushion. This picture was also taken in an office environment with "wonderful" halogen lights. I really think that people have different color tolerance. My first engagement ring (which unfortunately was stolen) was an H and I definitely saw more warmth in the J that followed, but I wouldn't say that I was ever bothered by it. If funds were unlimited, sure, I would go for a G stone, but I wouldn't trade my 1.5ct J for a smaller stone of higher color. Again, people have different perceptions about color and I really think that you should be the judge of what is acceptable to you. Set your priorities (cut is always first!) and then decide what may be a good match color-wise for you ;-)

img_3275_3.jpg

I love your cushion so much!!! Do you have a thread on it?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People vary.
J is too yellow for some, but not too yellow for others.
Then some folks love the warmest diamonds at the end of the alphabet.

I'm not sure why so many people ask such questions.
I hope your goal is not to collect the preferences of many people, then average them out to come up with the color grade that's "best" or the grade that you should like, want, buy.

What if you buy that "best" or "average" grade, but have one of the following reactions to it?
1. That color grade bothers you.
2. The color does not bother you, or you find you prefer a diamond with even more warmth to it and wish you went with a larger, better-cut, or less-included stone for the same budget.

IOW, really how useful is sampling the preferences of others?

I recommend you get out and see with your own eyes diamonds of a range of color grades (ALL GRADED BY GIA OR AGS).
Discover your preference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results