shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it unusual for GIA certified stones to not have its number laser inscribed?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I recently purchased a GIA certified stone that doesn''t have its number laser inscribed on the stone. Is this common? I trust my jeweler so didn''t really let that bother me at the time but now that I think about it, I''m wondering if it should. How else am I going to identify the stone after having it remounted or anytime I get it back after it''s been out of my possession.

Gosh, buying a diamond is turning out to be so stressful!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is fairly common, no need to worry. Does the stone have any inclusions you can verify by looking at the stone to see if they match the map on the cert?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most do not have an inscription. You should never leave your ring with a jeweler who does not have an excellent reputation. Those would never risk their reputation in order to switch a stone. In addition, if the stone has any inclusions, you can identify it with a loupe. But above all, have insurance, and then you don''t have to worry about any unusual circumstances!

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
diamondnut - im glad you asked that question as i just recently purchased one without an inscription and was wondering the same thing. glad to hear the answers though!

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
If the stone is certified it would say on the cert. whether it's inscribed. I don't know how common this is but I can tell you I am in the process of purchasing 4 separate stones that are all GIA certified and all of them happen to have inscriptions.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
If it is inscribed it will say so on the certificate. I just received my stone and can tell you that the inscription is very, very difficult to find / see with a 10X loupe; I need to get a 20 or 30X one. Is it possible that it is inscribed but you just can''t see it?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lasar inscription used to be an elective "extra" that could be ordered by the cutting house or diamond broker that sent it in to GIA for certification. These days it''s more common and I venture to say that eventually, GIA will lasar inscribe all of the stones they grade.

My engagement ring stone was graded 11 years ago. It has no inscription.

My two earrings stones were graded 8 years ago. One is inscribed, one is not.

The five loose stones that are going into my anniversary band purchased recently, say they''re all inscribed on the cert but I''ll be darned if I can see where! They''re only .30 pts. each which may have a lot to do with it!

I can read the one inscription on my earring but I have to concentrate on holding the loupe extremely steady to be able to see it. The best thing to do is to memorize your stones "fingerprint". It''s inclusion/s will always identify it for you. Most appraisers and large jewelry businesses have 30x computer magnification on hand, which makes it super easy to see (even with bad eyes like me).

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
The plot on the certificate will serve for verification purposes. And it sounds like you have found a trustworthy jeweler, which is always important. I wouldn''t worry
1.gif

While we are on the subject, I must add, I would not want laser inscribing done by anyone but the lab who issued the report. I have seen "after the fact" vendor inscriptions (added the GIA number themselves after the original lab report was issued) that were less than desirable and one that was downright scary. Some should not play with lasers...

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
if a GIA stone is laser inscribed, will it state that on the cert papers?? Just curious since the new stone I got a couple weeks ago is a GIA and I have no clue if its laser inscribed.

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 11:46:52 PM
Author: hairgirl95
if a GIA stone is laser inscribed, will it state that on the cert papers?? Just curious since the new stone I got a couple weeks ago is a GIA and I have no clue if its laser inscribed.
Yes, it will be noted on the certificate. For example, GIA diamond dossier reports (under 1ct) note it at the top of the certificate. It says Laser Inscription Registiry and then the number.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
thanks missrocks. I am assuming then that mine has no laser inscription. I didn''t see any notes about laser inscription on my GIA report. I appreciate your input.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results