shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it safe to boil a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
I read somewhere that for tough cleaning jobs you could boil rings in white vinegar. Is that safe?

My yellow diamond ring has step cut half moon side stones, and they are so dirty! I am paranoid about having lotion on my hands (because I don''t want to mess up my stones), so I''m not sure why they are so bad. Regular US and jewelry cleaners aren''t doing anything. What can I try that is safe?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t boil it. Pour water that''s just boiled into your US, temper your ring with warm to hot water, and then put it in and run it a few times. And I would use Amonia with the water.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Only use ammonia with platinum! It takes the palladium right off of white gold. Have you tried just very hot tap water in your US?

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
The ring is platinum. The way the sidestones are set makes it very difficult to get any brush bristles under them. Nothing I have tried so far has worked.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d take it to be steamed cleaned. I highly suggest getting a heated ultra sonic cleaner. I have one by Crest and love it!!!

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
I have a heated ultrasound, and it isn''t enough to clean this.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2007 5:54:01 PM
Author: MaryAlaina
How hot does it get the water? I have one too, but it doesn''t come close to just under boiling. Try that with the Ammonia. I believe it''s 1 part to 4, but you might use a smidge more since you have Platinum. Nothing cleans my stone better that Ammonia, and I''ve tried it all.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2007 6:00:46 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 8/8/2007 5:54:01 PM

Author: MaryAlaina

How hot does it get the water? I have one too, but it doesn''t come close to just under boiling. Try that with the Ammonia. I believe it''s 1 part to 4, but you might use a smidge more since you have Platinum. Nothing cleans my stone better that Ammonia, and I''ve tried it all.

Ellen,

Is that 1 part ammonia to 4 parts water? so one fifth ammonia and 4 fifths water? just making sure I got it right, I just got a heated US and am looking for recipes! (Sorry for the thread-jack MA!)

a

Date: 8/8/2007 5:44:48 PM
Author: mercoledi
Only use ammonia with platinum! It takes the palladium right off of white gold. Have you tried just very hot tap water in your US?

You mean rhodium right?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2007 12:19:22 AM
Author: angeline

Ellen,

Is that 1 part ammonia to 4 parts water? so one fifth ammonia and 4 fifths water? just making sure I got it right, I just got a heated US and am looking for recipes! (Sorry for the thread-jack MA!)

a
Yep!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results