shape
carat
color
clarity

If you could only have one necklace....

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Would you want a solitaire pendant or a DBTY necklace?

Last year I purchased a 0.47ct diamond to set in a solitaire pendant but now I'm wondering if I should sell it (or set it in a ring) and go for a DBTY necklace instead. I don't want both (at least not right now) since I don't wear necklaces a whole lot but I do want staple piece for days where I feel like wearing one. I want something that is classic and versatile.

So if you could only have one diamond necklace in your collection, which would you choose?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can't go wrong with either. For me it would be a single pendant.

Efriede

Shiny_Rock
Good question, Stargurl. I would choose DBtY, as it seems to be more versatile, understated than a solitaire. I Iike especially combination of studs + DBTY, looks not so matchy as with a solitaire to me.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
My vote is for the DBTY. I just had one custom made through Whiteflash last month (10 stones that are .15ct each) and I LOVE it! :love: I have worn it everyday and I like how I have diamonds all the way around my neck. :naughty: I can dress it up or down. Of course you cannot go wrong with either style...it depends on the look you want. However, I personally love the DBTY look better.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can you put your hands together and reset the solitaire with a bale so that you can wear it ON the DBTY when the spirit moves you? Otherwise, I'd go for the solitaire - the flipping on DBTYs drives me nuts.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Circe - can't ever seem to find someone IRL with an unflipped DBTY. I think a single pendant is classic and timeless. :))

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Circe & Justginger, I'm wondering if the flipping of the DBTY would bother me too and I like the amount of sparkle from one larger stone. But I think I like the overall look of the DBTY better on the neck and I agree with Efriede that the non-matchy look of studs with a DBTY looks better. That's why I'm torn!

orbaya - Do your stones flip a lot and does it bother you? Do the diamonds smudge up a lot since they are right on your skin?

Oh, and I haven't actually set the 0.47ct stone yet, so I could have it set with a bale if I decided to got that route. Not sure if I would like the solitaire on the DBTY though...

Thanks for your thoughts so far!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would do a solitaire, but I would put in it a more fancy mount, like a halo or other style, like Gypsy's pendant. Something with more oomph on the neck. A statement piece.

Hm. Can you tell I have been thinking about this? :halo:

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
stargurl78|1336571553|3190981 said:
Circe & Justginger, I'm wondering if the flipping of the DBTY would bother me too and I like the amount of sparkle from one larger stone. But I think I like the overall look of the DBTY better on the neck and I agree with Efriede that the non-matchy look of studs with a DBTY looks better. That's why I'm torn!

orbaya - Do your stones flip a lot and does it bother you? Do the diamonds smudge up a lot since they are right on your skin?

Oh, and I haven't actually set the 0.47ct stone yet, so I could have it set with a bale if I decided to got that route. Not sure if I would like the solitaire on the DBTY though...

Thanks for your thoughts so far!

Yes, my stones flip but it doesn't bother me at all. Because I have ACAs, the diamonds are well cut. When I look in the mirror, I can't tell which stones are face up and which ones are flipped unless I lean in very closely because they all sparkle the same. They do smudge up faster than a pendant would, but because the diamonds are so open, the necklace is a breeze to clean.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Circe|1336570866|3190973 said:
Can you put your hands together and reset the solitaire with a bale so that you can wear it ON the DBTY when the spirit moves you? .

this is what i'd do too.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Can you put your hands together and reset the solitaire with a bale so that you can wear it ON the DBTY when the spirit moves you? Otherwise, I'd go for the solitaire - the flipping on DBTYs drives me nuts.

This

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stci|1336573519|3191009 said:

This

i was at a jeweler recently who had an awesome DBTY that addressed this - they had diamonds on BOTH SIDES of the bezel!! so if one flipped, it looked the same!! she said it was really tricky to set the diamonds so that the culets weren't touching, and took a lot of skill. i can't find a pic of it on their site though. :(sad

it was a jeweler i first learned about from someone here - Von Bargen's.

they also have an interesting approach to the flipping issue with a single pendant:
http://www.vonbargensjewelry.com/product.php?mfrid=3&pid=6573&catid=1093
http://www.vonbargensjewelry.com/product.php?mfrid=3&pid=3356&catid=1093

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, is Gypsy's necklace that you are referring to this one?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-odds-and-ends-necklace-by-bgd.158058/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-odds-and-ends-necklace-by-bgd.158058/[/URL]

That is GORGEOUS but I don't think I want something so "dangly" at the bottom for my staple necklace. Hmm. Now you've got me wondering about doing a DBTY with my .47ct stone built right in at the bottom of the necklace. Kind of like Circe's idea but without the bale... And you must share what you are thinking about for yourself :naughty:

rainydaze - That's a cool idea but I'm wondering if it would be a tad bulky?

Thanks to everyone so far for chiming in!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd pick a solitaire as a staple. I love the classic simplicity of it. The DBTY's are beautiful and I love them as well - it is quite the dilemma but I'd still go solitaire first. THen... when you have a milestone event in your life, perhaps you add the DBTY as a special gift at that time!

Because BOTH are really the best staples of all!!! :bigsmile: Ta Da! the perfect solution - BOTH! (oh, right, this was supposed to be one or the other....)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl78|1336585075|3191215 said:
Dreamer, is Gypsy's necklace that you are referring to this one?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-odds-and-ends-necklace-by-bgd.158058/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-odds-and-ends-necklace-by-bgd.158058/[/URL]

That is GORGEOUS but I don't think I want something so "dangly" at the bottom for my staple necklace. Hmm. Now you've got me wondering about doing a DBTY with my .47ct stone built right in at the bottom of the necklace. Kind of like Circe's idea but without the bale... And you must share what you are thinking about for yourself :naughty:

rainydaze - That's a cool idea but I'm wondering if it would be a tad bulky?

Thanks to everyone so far for chiming in!!

oh good point - with a .47 stone yes, i imagine it might be. what i was shown wasn't at all but it had small stones - 15 pointers maybe? i forget. it did have some (nice, IMO) weight to it, however it was also in platinum and could be doubled up b/c it was long.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
I love the idea of a DBTY, but can't deal with the flipping.

I set a 1/2 ct stone into a bezel halo pendant from BGD, and think it gives me sufficient "presence" without being gaudy, and it's nearly an every day item for me. I like angling the visor mirror down to stare at it while I'm in traffic :)

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-pendants/halo-bezel-pendant-18k-white-gold-5677w18

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-halo-bezel-pendant.170776/#post-3107150']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-halo-bezel-pendant.170776/#post-3107150[/URL] My post. I didn't get good neck shots.

It's available much cheaper in titanium, fwiw: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-pendants/halo-bezel-pendant-titanium-5677t

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I love DBTY but if I had to chose I would go with a pendant. I have a .55 carat diamond in a tension setting that I absolutely love because I can wear it everyday or for evening wear. I also have a .80 stone with two .40 side stones that I adore but it is too dressy for every day. You could set your .47 with two smaller side stones. Also, setting your stone in a halo setting as previously suggested would look awesome.

2012-03-12_18-38-25_161_2.jpg

Excuse the poor photo!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh!!! that's really purrrrrdy, JLW05! I love your 3 stone pendant and those sizes must look amazing --- perhaps a neck shot might be in order?? :Up_to_something: :naughty: :Up_to_something:

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I'd go with a pendant. I like to be able to switch out the chain so I can wear different lengths to go with different necklines.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I had to give up all my pendants and only keep one. I'd keep my BGD pendant. Marguerite. BUT If I had to have ONLY one and could buy whatever I wanted-- 1.5 carat Pear in a super delicate bezel solitaire. And my plans for my Odds and Ends necklace is to eventually replace the bottom drop with a honking pear as soon as I can afford one.

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
I had a .5 ct dbty pendant and I really didn't wear it much. I find that I was only wearing it with my diamond studs (.75 ct each year) and the rest of the time the necklace didn't go with my other earrings. So I decided to convert it to a three stone dbty style necklace with a gemstone in the center. I think it really depends on what the rest of your jewelry wardrobe is like. I personally don't like to wear both earrings and a necklace unless both are dainty.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi - Of course you would say to get both :bigsmile: Maybe I will eventually but that won't happen for a while...

Milton and JLW05 - Very pretty necklaces!! Thank you for the suggestions, I've really got a lot of good options besides just a plain solitaire if I don't do the DBTY, I hadn't even thought of going with a halo or 3 stone.

Gypsy - Can you lead me to any pics of Marguerite? And a pear in a delicate bezel sounds AMAZING! Hmm...

sapphirering - I rarely wear necklaces and I always wear earrings, I think I'm with ya that usually both is just too much.

It seems like the majority vote for the solitaire pendant. Kind of leaning towards that but still undecided... I don't have the funds just yet to do either at this point but maybe in the next few months I'll make up my mind.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pffft, I would want a diamond riviera necklace. I'd wear it every day forever.

However if the choice was between solitaire and DBTY, I would choose DBTY. Diamond solitaires are just so little.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I like a solitaire much better.
When I want a look of a little more, I layer several solitaire necklaces, all very delicate, to me this looks better than diamonds by the yard. You can buy solitaires in different sizes one at a time and get this look, and its a little more substantial than the DBTY, in my view.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh, the Marguerite pendant! Yes, that is STUNNING! I'm not sure I want something that large though...

distracts - Yes, a riveria necklace would be nice, wouldn't it!!! Definitely don't have those kind of funds though.

Right now I'm leaning towards setting my stone in a solitaire pendant and maybe I'll save up for a DBTY in the future, maybe something preloved on eBay or DB.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results