shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal-Scope photography advice

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
When attempting to take an Ideal-Scope photo on the Ideal-Light, my digital camera is over-focusing. It passes the point of optimal focus and results in blurry images. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have a manual focus option. Also, what is the best white balance option out of the following: 1) Incandescent; 2) Fluorescent 1; 3) Fluorescent 2; 4) Daylight; and 5) Cloudy

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Ideal_Polish

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi there, you CAN do this, promise! Suppress the urge to zoom. With most point and shoot cameras, the best way to capture macro images is using the widest angle possible on your camera while placing the object as close as possible. You will probably find the minimum focus distance is around 1 inch or less. I would place everything else on automatic, including white balance. What is your light source? You could get a similar result to Gary's by using a flashlight app on your smart phone.

If you're still having trouble, tell us what camera you have. You can also find more specs about your camera, like minimum focusing distance here: http://www.dpreview.com/

Good luck!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are you using the upside-down method shown on the IS website? If so your AF may be passing by the diamond to focus on something behind it. You can try putting a piece of white paper just behind the diamond, but using the upside-down method probably prevents you from seeing the impending result before you snap the photo.

With point-and-shoots I've typically used the table-up view, which allows me to depress the shutter halfway and see where the focus-point is. And while Garry's advice is good for his camera (I've owned the same model) I find different cameras get better results with different settings. You might experiment, which is far easier to do table-up where you can view the impending result... Something I do with any point-and-shoot camera is to use the 2-second delay. This allows me to either get my hands completely off the camera (if it sits on top of the IS/ASET) or time to become completely still before the shutter releases.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ideal_Polish|1340203180|3220151 said:
You could get a similar result to Gary's by using a flashlight app on your smart phone.

Nice tip. And welcome to Pricescope, Tim.

Ideal_Polish

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks John! How many skee ball tickets do I need to upgrade to Super Ideal Rock? I am a measly "Rough Rock." I thought it was time to try and dole out some friendly advice after reading sooooo many posts over the years.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results