shape
carat
color
clarity

I want a bigger asscher. Uugh

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm apparently at the beginning of DSS. I love my asscher, but 1.52 looks so small. I can't stop thinking that I want above 2ct. Maybe 2.10-2.25, but will that be big enough??

I have to stop thinking this.

No need to comment. Talking to myself.....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
whitewave|1485138908|4118321 said:
I ... I want above 2ct. Maybe 2.10-2.25, but will that be big enough??

Yes ... at first.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It figures. Kenny, come meet me at crater of diamonds!!! I'm serious. :dance:

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DSS can be real. What you might want to do is cut out different sizes (in millimeters) in an asscher shape and put them flat on your ring finger to see what size you like best. Go as large a shape as you'd want then see how many carats those dimensions would convert to. If the cost of that size stone is in the "not in this lifetime" category, experiment with smaller sizes to see if there's one you can afford and has the impact you're looking for.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try to find a vendor that will allow an upgrade policy. Not all will on asschers, but it's worth a shot. You lose too much selling stones second hand or back to a vendor at wholesale prices if you think you'd ever want to upgrade again.

I have a 1 ct asscher in a halo setting that was made for that size, and I have the new antique asscher at 2.73 cts. You definitely can enjoy the cut of a well cut stone the larger it is, I'm sorry to say! I don't always enable, but in this case, I'd go for as large as you can manage and realize that DSS can still happen again as the others have mentioned! Of course, halos are a good solution to DSS, too!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for a halo because no matter what size asscher you get, it will always face up smaller than a round. Because of this, if you get a 2.5 carat, one day you will look at it and think, 'it doesn't really look like 2.5 carats'. Get a halo and increase the finger coverage instead.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are some things I would look into before a trade up (which would have to be 23k and above total... which is fine for the size I would want)...

img_1960.png

img_1961.png

img_1962.png

I wonder if I sent it back to Blue Nile if they would agree to change out the band? I'll have to call them. I do need to have my 3 stone necklace made before I get serious about this.

I would rather do sidestones over halo, I think.

Thanks for the input everyone.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love those second and third settings, but all are lovely. They'd really have an impact.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rainwood, thanks for the idea of cutting out the sizes. That's a very good idea.

Diamondseeker, I am very glad to hear you are enjoying your antique asscher! Its gorgeous. My problem is that i have to get 1) my 3 stone pendant made 2) upgrade my studs 3) get a whiteflash aca tennis bracelet and then I can think more about this ring. So I have a few years before I makde a move.

Love2sparkle, i love the look of halos, but I am petrified of stunting any performance by the diamond. A halo would probbaly be the easiest solution, but i think side stones would be better for my concerns (I guess?)

Rainwood, yes, the Leon Mege is the one I like the most.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So do I... :wink2: :bigsmile:

Alybetter

Shiny_Rock
Late to the thread, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I have an Asscher stone in my engagement ring. It's a carat, but a small one, about 5.4mm squared. I adore step cuts, and I've loved this stone for years. But damn, it is small. I picked it, no one to blame but myself. I thought I would step aside from the majority who were getting princess and RB stones by getting an Asscher. I'm still glad I did, I love step cuts. But I hate its size. I hate that if I dropped 12k on a 1.5er, it'd still seem small to me in comparison with other cuts of the same weight.
I understand what you're going through. That LM setting with the trilliants flanking the center, with claw prongs, that's nice. Pricey, but nice.
Did you decide what you're gonna do with it?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been wearing it with a plain 2mm plat band and It looks bigger. Sometimes I wear it alone: I mean who cares if someone thinks I'm engaged.

I'm about to have 3 in college soon so I can't really spend more money right now.

Alybetter

Shiny_Rock
whitewave|1487194321|4129324 said:
I've been wearing it with a plain 2mm plat band and It looks bigger. Sometimes I wear it alone: I mean who cares if someone thinks I'm engaged.

I'm about to have 3 in college soon so I can't really spend more money right now.

I hear you. I have 3 bands I rotate out, and also wear it alone sometimes. Good luck with getting the 3 off to college :)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a mind game. I was wearing it like this: img_4121_0.jpg

I think if pare down the size of the bands, the stone looks bigger. I'm telling myself that anyway.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
whitewave|1487204772|4129428 said:
It's a mind game. I was wearing it like this: img_4121_0.jpg

I think if pare down the size of the bands, the stone looks bigger. I'm telling myself that anyway.

No offense whitewave, but those channel set bands overwhelm your stone. I would totally go with a plain band that matches the depth and width of the ering. Should make a huge difference.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, you're awesome! I looove that I'm not the only one that plans far in advance.

I agree - a thin band would make that rock look bigger, but I also like the balance of your channel bands. I'd love to see a hand shot!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offense taken, LL !!! I just figured it out last week.

Here ya go, Pear Affair:

img_6570_0.jpg

I'm going to check etsy for some thin stacks

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo nice!! I like the finger coverage, you've got nice long fingers. Good luck with trying a thin band :)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the sunshine, its blinding, bedazzled, white- lights- to -the -heavens goodness. Lol. I have even caught men looking at it.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
What about a different kind of halo or even bezel? I agree the bands make your asscher look smaller so I'd get one thin band or wear the asscher alone. I'll look for some pics :)

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Just an idea but I love this halo with the baguettes?? That are as long as the stone on each side and smaller traps ?? in corners. I'm unsure exactly what the diamond shapes are in the halo

img_15067.jpg

img_15068.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer not to do a halo with the asscher.

Can anyone with vision tell me how two of these would look: img_2262.jpg

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
When I was forced to reset my ring, I knew I wanted a bezel. One of the reasons I like bezeled asschers is because it accentuates the unique shape of the stone. What I wasn't expecting when I got my ring back was that it made my diamond look a little more substantial.

For the record, I have a 1.55 carat asscher and size 8 fingers. I've never had DSS, so I can't relate there, but I do love how 2+ (and even more like 3+) carat asschers really showcase the mezmerizing step cut pattern.

Here's a before and after of my ring both prong set, then bezel set. Exact same diamonds, just different setting.

ring_before_and_after.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you find it affected the performance of the diamond itself in any way?

The problem is that I love nothing more than an asscher as a solitare.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm having two of these made to order. I'm hoping it gives the same effect but less competition to the diamond.
img_2266.png

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
whitewave|1487280768|4129880 said:
Did you find it affected the performance of the diamond itself in any way?

The problem is that I love nothing more than an asscher as a solitare.

No, not at all. I think bezels only negatively affect poorly-cut stones. In a well-cut stone, the light reflected back at you comes in from the top.

There are some gorgeous bezeled asscher solitaires here. But if you don't love a bezel, don't do it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why did I do this? Why???? Why, whitewave why? I'm so obsessed with my asscher in all points. It's getting unhealthy.

I shouldn't have found a 1.92 whiteflash round.

img_2300.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jonathan at goodoldgold just showed his first protype AGS ideal cut asscher, it's quite stunning. Maybe reach out to him for a custom cut?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A custom cut asscher is going to be lot higher than a regular one, though. Are you considering a WF round or just comparing sizes?

I think I am too late, but I would strongly recommend wearing just one band below the asscher ring. When you wear one above the e-ring, it just makes the asscher get lost. It will show up better just wearing one band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results