shape
carat
color
clarity

I feel that this band is too thin... what do you think?

LoveSparkle1

Rough_Rock
th_img_0189.jpg

th_th_img_0199.jpg

The width of the band tapers from 1.3mm at the top down to 1.9mm at the bottom.

I really wanted to love this setting, but when I try it on, it just feels and looks too thin and fragile on my finger. It almost feels like wearing a platinum wire.
It's a bit disappointing as it looked perfect on the website :((

Now I'm thinking about returning it and getting either Classic Tiffany Half Round or Tapered Tiffany Half Round from BGD instead (I've always loved the Tiffany style settings).

Does it look too thin to you? What do you think??

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Anything under 2mm is too thin, 1.8mm if it's a die-struck platinum setting. If pave (aka swiss cheese) 2.5mm and up is safer.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think it's a bit too thin - it just doesn't show up very well on your hand and it might not hold up too well - I'm sorry you were disappointed (hate that feeling!) but I think you'll be happier with the other choices you mentioned.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks too thin to me... trust your gut on this one!

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I agree it is really thin and does look a bit wiry. What are you looking for in a setting? Maybe we can help find something a little more substantial but still with the other elements you love about this setting.

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, it looks too thin to me too, if it is of flat shape it would be better. :) A Tiffany setting is great, I love that too.

LoveSparkle1

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your opinion! I'm a little relieved I'm not the only one who thinks it's too thin. I've decided to return this setting and get something else.

By the way, this setting is Felicity Solitaire by Vatche.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/felicity-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1614.htm

I think it's a beautiful setting if it works out. I also imagine it will look better with a larger diamond (mine is 0.6 ct).

It's tough to choose a setting online sometimes!

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
I agree that anything under 2mm is too thin...especially for a ring meant to secure a diamond.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
This setting looks really like just a thin version of their Royal Crown. So if you like this style - look into that setting instead.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jax172|1361964461|3391644 said:
This setting looks really like just a thin version of their Royal Crown. So if you like this style - look into that setting instead.
it looks like the h levi.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, too thin IMO. Sorry.

I dislike dainty solitaire settings, they just look horrible on me. I think a thicker band adds more hand presence.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1361993997|3391957 said:
ame|1361993624|3391954 said:
Jax172|1361964461|3391644 said:
it looks like the h levi.

Yes, good call, Ame! I once had that setting!

http://www.hlevi.com/s710.html
As soon as I saw it I was like "wait a minute..."

What did you think of the H. Levi?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something that thin would be SO out of place on my hands, lol! But more importantly, even made out of platinum, I would imagine it wouldn't take much to do significant damage... :(sad

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked it a lot. But I think they gave me a standard 1.5 ct head and my stone was 1.6 and it fit so tight in the head that I couldn't get to the sides of the stone to clean it, and that drove me crazy. It was a great height and design, though. It was a little wider than my currrent ring.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know, I have a 1.3mm wide band on a hand-forged 14k gold ring holding a colored gemstone, and I love it. It's still perfectly round after a year of wear, and really makes the stone look huge. I don't know, I really like a thin band to make a stone pop.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1362018968|3392324 said:
I liked it a lot. But I think they gave me a standard 1.5 ct head and my stone was 1.6 and it fit so tight in the head that I couldn't get to the sides of the stone to clean it, and that drove me crazy. It was a great height and design, though. It was a little wider than my currrent ring.
Good to know. I love the head of it, it's very neat looking. I don't know how Ill reset that but I dug how kind of "geometric" the head looked while still being really open. It's just really more than I want to pay, esp since I paid so much for this one and it went so horribly wrong.

LoveSparkle1

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for all of your advice! So I returned the setting today, and I've finally decided to go with a 2.5mm knife edge Tiffany style solitaire for my e-ring. Something simple and classic... :))
Thanks again everyone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1362059512|3392526 said:
diamondseeker2006|1362018968|3392324 said:
Good to know. I love the head of it, it's very neat looking. I don't know how Ill reset that but I dug how kind of "geometric" the head looked while still being really open. It's just really more than I want to pay, esp since I paid so much for this one and it went so horribly wrong.

I feel your pain as one who has spent a lot on settings and still am not at my final diamond (as far as I know).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveSparkle1|1362213279|3394422 said:
Thank you so much for all of your advice! So I returned the setting today, and I've finally decided to go with a 2.5mm knife edge Tiffany style solitaire for my e-ring. Something simple and classic... :))
Thanks again everyone!

Well, I certainly like that idea! Which one did you choose? I am thinking it isn't the Vatche unless you asked for a wider shank.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
can i threadjack and ask what specifically is wrong with a thin platinum band? i always assumed the risk was for example if it was off the finger and someone sat on it the metal might bend out of shape. but comments on here make it sound like something could happen to make the the band snap while he ring was being worn and the ring goes flying off? has anyone actually had problems resulting from the band being too thin? has it resulted in losing the diamond/ring completely?
TIA

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results