shape
carat
color
clarity

I color diamonds

ked123

Rough_Rock
I had posted before that my husband and I were in the process of upgrading my diamond solitaire. The ring was initially purchased at Tiffany and was a G VS2.

After looking at many of their more elaborate settings (Embrace, etc.), I decided to stick with the traditional solitaire and increase the size of the stone. We ended up purchasing a 1.9 carat I color VS1 solitaire. In the store, it looked magnificent.

I was talking to a friend today who mentioned she'd never go less than "G" in color, for fear of having a noticeably yellow cast to the diamond.

At the store, I specifically asked to compare the diamond we purchased to a G and even an F, and could not see any difference. My concern is maybe this is just me and my husband who are color insensitive? I don't really want to be walking around with a diamond everyone else thinks is yellow.

In looking on the net, it is mentioned that if the stone is well cut, this shouldn't be that much of an issue. Am I being silly about this? I know that absolutely the same quality diamonds can be found outside of Tiffany for a much, much lower price, but was assuming that any diamond sold from them would at least be of very good quality (i.e.- no discernable yellow, unless it was one of their beautiful truly yellow diamonds).

I probably can still make a change at this point; please let me know your thoughts.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I own a large J color solitaire and have never had anyone in real life comment on its color, and even my most color sensitive friend loves my diamond better than my previous smaller G color diamond ;)) Now I suppose there is a possibility that some people are gossiping behind my back about the color of my stone, but I doubt it. First, no one I know cares about diamonds OR knows enough about them to tell a G from a J, and second, other people do not care about YOUR jewelery as much as you think they will.

Tiffany is a luxury brand that prides itself on its reputation for quality and class. I think if I color is good enough for them, then it is probably good enough for you too 8) If your friend or anyone else said anything, then you can just ask them how much their ring cost and if it is from Tiffany and just one-up them in the diamond-snoot-athon :halo:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ked123|1290406502|2775256 said:
I was talking to a friend today who mentioned she'd never go less than "G" in color, for fear of having a noticeably yellow cast to the diamond.

Oh, and when I was considering my upgrade from my G to my J diamond, I asked my friend who owns an E color diamond what she thought about J color and she said "Ewwww :knockout: Yellow yuck!" Well, I got it anyways, and she was blown away when she say it and said she liked it even better than my previous stone, and I think this was genuine. Much of the attitudes people hold about color are in their heads. The reality is very different.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have an I and nobody has ever said anything (except my uber jealous mom and that was only after I told her it was an I). I'm sure all anyone would think when they look at your ring is "damn!"

And on that note, I hope you plan to show us some pics so we can say "damn!" too. :naughty:

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Oh my, don't let her comment ruin your ring for you!

IRL, on another person's hand and set, a well cut I color is extremely white. Sure, you could probably detect a bit of off-whiteness if it was upside-down, unset and right next to a D color on a white background. But in real-life conditions, an I just looks plain ol' white.

FWIW, I wear an M colored antique cut diamond and even that looks white most of the time.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
athenaworth|1290407533|2775262 said:
I have an I and nobody has ever said anything (except my uber jealous mom and that was only after I told her it was an I). I'm sure all anyone would think when they look at your ring is "damn!"

And on that note, I hope you plan to show us some pics so we can say "damn!" too. :naughty:

If someone is saying anything negative (or gossiping behind your back), then that person is jealous. My mom also said bad stuff about my diamond and it is a G, so people, no matter what, IF they have their own issues, they'll find some way to put down your jewelry!

Enjoy your ring :)

MarkBroumand

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If someone is saying anything negative (or gossiping behind your back), then that person is jealous. My mom also said bad stuff about my diamond and it is a G, so people, no matter what, IF they have their own issues, they'll find some way to put down your jewelry!

Enjoy your ring :)

So trueee. Be happy and pay others no mind!

ked123

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone. I feel better now. The ring is off being sized and I can't wait to get it back and wear it!

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
My wife has an I color, stone is just beautiful, no yellow tint.

agapitor

Shiny_Rock
I was also of the impression that I would never go lower than an H when I first began my diamond search. Lo and behold, I ended up with a beautiful J. I put it beside my friend's D cushion and another girl who got her ring from Birks and don't see a significant difference. There is definitely no yellow tint on my J. Enjoy your ring! I'm sure it's gorgeous.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
I was recently at Tiffany's looking at H vs. F around the 3 carat range. Very very hard to tell the color difference. I'm super sensitive to color and it was only in certain specific lighting where I could detect a difference, and I had to have the F to compare and tell.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Agreed...face-up, I can't tell that my I diamond (engagement ring) is anything less than completely white. My J diamond (pendant) is a little warmer in comparison, but it's certainly not ugly. There is, however, a part of me that wants to trade in my I diamond and upgrade the color, but a lot of that is driven by my friends and family having whiter diamonds. Totally psychological and not reflective of what the diamond actually looks like.

EtA: FWIW, I think I color is one of the biggest values to be had in the diamond world, like the eye-clean SI1-SI2 clarity. When I was looking for engagement ring diamonds, the price jump from I to H for the same color/clarity/size was tremendous, but the visual difference was not.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results