shape
carat
color
clarity

Humor Me - 32 or 34 inch DBTY??

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Hi Guys!

Well, after much deliberation and soul searching I have *finally* decided what i am going to spend my gift voucher on!

I am going to go with a 32 or 34 inch DBTY with 11 x 20 pointers with ID Jewelry and I need your help with the finer details. :))

I am pushing the budget to the absolute max with the 20 pointers, so i can't go any more than 11 of them.

What i need to decide on is do I make the necklace 32 or 34 inches? (Big difference I know! :cheeky: ) and how far apart to make the stones.

I have attached some pictures of a costume chain I have that is 32.5 inches and how it sits long and doubled up.
I've also attached a comparison with a 34 inch bit of cord. :bigsmile: and one where i have worked out the gaps to be 3 inches on the chain.

I 'think' with a 32 inch chain the diamonds are stationed about 2.5 inches apart and with the 34 inch chain it is closer to 3 inches.
I personally think 2 inches apart (which is the norm) is too close together for me and I think I'd be happy with 2.5 - 3 inches.

My Questions are...

* 32 or 34 inch chain, or somewhere in the middle, or a 34 inch chain with a jump loop at 32?
* Do i evenly space the diamonds out around the chain or do I start them off 3 inches from the clasp so they are closer together at the front?
* What is the best way to work out the spacing?
* Any other general thoughts or opinions?

Thanks!

ETA you can't really tell from the last photo, but i attached some white ties at 3 inches apart, hopefully you get the idea.

32dbtyphoto.jpg

32doubledupphoto.jpg

compare3234photo.jpg

longnecklacephoto.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like your 32" option and how you've shown the white tabs where the stones would be. BUT.. if its is the same price and, overall in the big picture, the 2" difference is minimal, would it be better to go for the longer 34" then you may end up with just that little 'smidge' of extra room later on??

It seems like it will be an amazing necklace! and quite excited for you to SMTB in a little bit! Good luck - 34" would be my vote!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! :appl: So excited to see your DBTY with 20 pointers!! I know it will be spectacular!! :love:

I suggest spacing the diamonds evenly throughout independent of the length you decide is best for you. You can also easily buy a 2 inch or more gold necklace extender for whatever occasions you might want to wear the necklace longer. Unless you know you prefer longer and then I say go for the 34 inches. But if you think 32 will be best most of the time I would choose that and just use an extender as the mood strikes. I am finding that 32 inches is plenty long for me but it does depend on build/neck width etc.

Good luck HOT!! So excited for you!! :appl:

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I prefer longer than 34" (ideal is 36"). 32" looks uncomfortably tight when double up. 3-inch spacing looks fine.

One question - Are you worried about the unprotected cutlets? Not a problem with smaller size melees. Not sure when the diamond size is over 20-pt?

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1354670769|3322718 said:
I'd go ahead with 34". I think it will be better when you double it.

I agree with this. The 32 is just a little short when doubled. I think it will look great stacked with your solitaire necklace! I cant wait to see pictures!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh - I'm so excited to see this! 20 pointers - ooo la la!! It will be amazing!!!

I would base my decision on how it worked in the cleavage area. 32 inches would be better for me so it didn't get "lost" when worn long. And you could always do an extender (have Luann add one to the order) if that helps when doubling.

I would definitely space them evenly across the whole chain. I find my 17 incher spins a lot so at some point I'm going to add four more stones to the back to make mine evenly distributed.

Here's a random idea. If (when?) I get a longer DBTY I want to have one gemstone (in my case a ruby) added to the mix. Probably in the back by the clasp. I think it would be a fun little twist...

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1354669152|3322698 said:
I like your 32" option and how you've shown the white tabs where the stones would be. BUT.. if its is the same price and, overall in the big picture, the 2" difference is minimal, would it be better to go for the longer 34" then you may end up with just that little 'smidge' of extra room later on??

It seems like it will be an amazing necklace! and quite excited for you to SMTB in a little bit! Good luck - 34" would be my vote!

Thanks Enerchi!! I know its such a minimal difference between the two lengths, i just don't want to get it wrong and regret it. I think the smidge extra room for when i get older (and bigger :cheeky: ) will be good for when i double it.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
missy|1354669904|3322707 said:
Yay!!! :appl: So excited to see your DBTY with 20 pointers!! I know it will be spectacular!! :love:

I suggest spacing the diamonds evenly throughout independent of the length you decide is best for you. You can also easily buy a 2 inch or more gold necklace extender for whatever occasions you might want to wear the necklace longer. Unless you know you prefer longer and then I say go for the 34 inches. But if you think 32 will be best most of the time I would choose that and just use an extender as the mood strikes. I am finding that 32 inches is plenty long for me but it does depend on build/neck width etc.

Good luck HOT!! So excited for you!! :appl:

Hi Missy! I noticed between your pictures and mine that the 32 inch doesn't see to sit as long on me. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with build. I find it interesting that it looks longer on you! I do like the idea of the extender that i can use with a 32 inch. I haven't asked Luann about that option, but i will look into it.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
FancyDiamond|1354671513|3322730 said:
I prefer longer than 34" (ideal is 36"). 32" looks uncomfortably tight when double up. 3-inch spacing looks fine.

One question - Are you worried about the unprotected cutlets? Not a problem with smaller size melees. Not sure when the diamond size is over 20-pt?

Thanks FancyDiamond. Originally, back in the days of dreaming I wanted a 40 inch DBTY! I did consider 36 inch however i am worried about the chain catching between me and my desk at work and then it breaking from the tension. I think 34 is as long as i can go without running the risk of it catching. (I've broken a few longer chains this way).

I hadn't actually considered being worried about the unprotected culets, I didn't think they would show very much at all, but i will add it to my list of questions for Luann.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Mrs. W 514|1354671723|3322735 said:
diamondseeker2006|1354670769|3322718 said:
I'd go ahead with 34". I think it will be better when you double it.

I agree with this. The 32 is just a little short when doubled. I think it will look great stacked with your solitaire necklace! I cant wait to see pictures!

Thank you Mrs. W! I wore that necklace stacked with my pendant for a couple of days just to try it out and i have to say i feel a little giddy when i think about it with the DBTY! :bigsmile:

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1354671937|3322742 said:
Oh my gosh - I'm so excited to see this! 20 pointers - ooo la la!! It will be amazing!!!

I would base my decision on how it worked in the cleavage area. 32 inches would be better for me so it didn't get "lost" when worn long. And you could always do an extender (have Luann add one to the order) if that helps when doubling.

I would definitely space them evenly across the whole chain. I find my 17 incher spins a lot so at some point I'm going to add four more stones to the back to make mine evenly distributed.

Here's a random idea. If (when?) I get a longer DBTY I want to have one gemstone (in my case a ruby) added to the mix. Probably in the back by the clasp. I think it would be a fun little twist...

Rosebloom! Thanks for the first hand tips on the necklace spinning. That is good to know! Part of me is tempted to have them weighted to the front to decrease the size gap by that little bit, but if it spins a lot, then it's not such a good idea.

I love the idea of having a coloured stone added! I could do a Garnet for me and a ruby for my daughter. ::)

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Well for now, I think i am liking the idea of a 32 inch necklace with a 2 inch extender that i can add to double it.

That way i get 2 lengths and the diamonds will be spaced just that little bit closer on the 32 inches.

Can anyone see iny major problems with this idea?

Efriede

Shiny_Rock
Oh, HOT, I am so excited for you! You will be doing long fabulous DBTY with 0.20!! :love: :appl: That will be absolutely DREAM necklace.
I also think that 34 inch can be better for you if you plan to double your necklace. Extender idea is fantastic. However, I think 2 inches between the stones is absolute maximum I would go. I know some ponted that the necklace could spin, however, I have absolutely no problem with spinning of my 16 inch chain, and the stones are spaced in front. I found it is very uncomfortable feeling to have the stones on the back of your neck, especially large one at 0.20. The necklace will be long and heavy, it could add the pressure to the stones that are on the back...i hope I can express well what I mean..(sorry for my bad English). I would definately start with stones further from the clasp and have them starting 3 inches from the clasp and then every 2 inches. This idea, however would not work with extender..

Anyway, I am so much looking forward to see your necklace and a lot of neckshots..your necklace and missy's will be definately an inspiration for my own long one. I just love love that style!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
hawaiianorangetree|1354678195|3322868 said:
Well for now, I think i am liking the idea of a 32 inch necklace with a 2 inch extender that i can add to double it.

That way i get 2 lengths and the diamonds will be spaced just that little bit closer on the 32 inches.

I love this idea!!! That sounds like it ticks all the boxes!!! I hope you get it soon. If it is not here in time for the Perth GTG, perhaps it will make us set up another date, JUST so we can play with it.....I mean admire it! :tongue:

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Efriede|1354692855|3322990 said:
Oh, HOT, I am so excited for you! You will be doing long fabulous DBTY with 0.20!! :love: :appl: That will be absolutely DREAM necklace.
I also think that 34 inch can be better for you if you plan to double your necklace. Extender idea is fantastic. However, I think 2 inches between the stones is absolute maximum I would go. I know some ponted that the necklace could spin, however, I have absolutely no problem with spinning of my 16 inch chain, and the stones are spaced in front. I found it is very uncomfortable feeling to have the stones on the back of your neck, especially large one at 0.20. The necklace will be long and heavy, it could add the pressure to the stones that are on the back...i hope I can express well what I mean..(sorry for my bad English). I would definately start with stones further from the clasp and have them starting 3 inches from the clasp and then every 2 inches. This idea, however would not work with extender..

Anyway, I am so much looking forward to see your necklace and a lot of neckshots..your necklace and missy's will be definately an inspiration for my own long one. I just love love that style!

Thanks Efriede! I think you bring up a very valid point with the stones being uncomfortable on my neck if they are too close to the clasp. I'll ask Luann about that as well. :))

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
susimoo|1354701378|3323019 said:
hawaiianorangetree|1354678195|3322868 said:

I love this idea!!! That sounds like it ticks all the boxes!!! I hope you get it soon. If it is not here in time for the Perth GTG, perhaps it will make us set up another date, JUST so we can play with it.....I mean admire it! :tongue:

Thanks Susie! Yeah unfortunately it won't be ready in time but I'm sure we will have another opportunity to catch up. :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would make it 34 with a jump ring at 32, maybe. But since you are only really looking at 1 inch longer in hanging length, I don't really see the point in not making it 34. It's not going to actually hang 2 inches longer. Even though I like the idea of an extender, it will slide around some, and I just think you'll be happier having the necklace made 34 to begin with. I am pretty sure my sister made hers 32" because she never planned to wear it doubled.

Do the diamond choices go from 15 to 20 pointers or is there anything between there? I might personally consider slightly under 20 (like 18?) just to get the stones at 2.5 inches apart if that was an option.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Would you double it at all? I know a 32 inch is more comfortable for me even doubled so I would go with that option. I also like them evenly spaced incase the necklace turns a little everything still looks even. Congrats again!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you worry about long chain getting caught, then get 34". I think 32' is too short for you.

Another question - Will you be using your own 32.5" chain? The reason I ask is that your necklace looks substantial enough, yet proportional to large dbty melees of 20-pts. If you are getting the chain from IDJ, you may need to determine if the chain is "thick" enough for 20-pt melees. I always think that the dbty chain, especially in gold, is too delicate. It is OK for small melees, but I am not sure about 20-pt size.

As for the spacing, I also debate about even spacing versus shorter spacing in front. My dbty necklace never slides up and down, because the weight of the dangling pendant keeps it from doing so. If you place all diamonds in front with 2.5"-2.75" spacing, I wonder if the extra weight in the front will be enough to keep the chain from sliding up and down? If so, then you can get the best of both worlds - being able to achieve smaller spacing without having to pay for extra diamonds that are hidden most of the time and not having to worry about your neck being poked by the diamond cutlets. I am curious about what you decide and please share you experience after you wear the necklace.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oops changed my vote. I would get the 32 " with 2" extender, (basically have a jump ring both at 32 and 34" with no diamonds on that section, but otherwise space evenly. I love how the dbty necklaces look when they are doubled!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
I would make it 34 with a jump ring at 32, maybe. But since you are only really looking at 1 inch longer in hanging length, I don't really see the point in not making it 34. It's not going to actually hang 2 inches longer. Even though I like the idea of an extender, it will slide around some, and I just think you'll be happier having the necklace made 34 to begin with. I am pretty sure my sister made hers 32" because she never planned to wear it doubled.

Do the diamond choices go from 15 to 20 pointers or is there anything between there? I might personally consider slightly under 20 (like 18?) just to get the stones at 2.5 inches apart if that was an option.

This is a clever option - I like DS's suggestion! Is that a possibility? Go for the slightly smaller ct wt stones and spread them at 2.5"? Seems like a perfect compromise!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
How about this - do 20 pointers, leave 3 inches by clasp plus have area by jump ring (or extender) chain only. Then live with it for a while and if it spins and bothers you then send it back to have a few extra diamonds added (once your bling fund has replenished a bit). My 17 incher spins but the added weight of the longer chain may take care of this problem. And it's a good point about the diamonds poking your neck - they do.

My chain is delicate but feels very sturdy for my 15 pointers. My baby regularly yanks it hard enough to really sting but I'm never worried at all about the necklace - just my neck!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Oh there are just too many options! :wacko:

I woke up this morning and decided simple is best. Just go with the 34 inch, don't worry about a jump ring or extender as DS said it isn't going to make a whole lot of difference anyway and then it would look less messy at the back (I'm assuming with an extender you would have 2 clasps?) and with a jump loop at 32 inches the diamonds would always be a little uneven. If I thought the 34 was a tad too long I could have it shortened a little locally.

So that's what i had decided and emailed Luann with first thing and now I've come back to this thread and thought... "but that limits my choices!" urgh. I wish i could just make up my mind already!

As far as the spacing goes, I think i'll have the first diamonds on either end spaced between the 3.75 and 4 inch mark. That way they sit level with my neck but are not sitting on my neck, then space out the others evenly around the rest of the chain. (Can anyone tell me what the spacing would be then? I'm not sure my calculations are correct.)

Luann basically said i can have it made to any specifications that i wanted... but didn't really give her personal opinion on any of the options i suggested. Good to know they can all be done but...

I have emailed Luann already but she wont see it until tomorrow morning NY time, so it's not too late to change my mind.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1354713855|3323075 said:

Do you mean have more than 11 x 18 pointers?

I had an 18 pointer priced (will 11) as well and there wasn't much in it between the 20's and 18's. There was a big jump from 15 to 18, so that's why i went with the 20's.

I've taken to heart your advice about the extender / loop ideas. I think you are right, brobably best off just to stick with one length, esp when it isn't going to make much difference visually.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1354717947|3323112 said:
Would you double it at all? I know a 32 inch is more comfortable for me even doubled so I would go with that option. I also like them evenly spaced incase the necklace turns a little everything still looks even. Congrats again!

Thanks Sarah! Yeah I think i will double it, I quite liked the look of the chain stacked with my pendant. :Up_to_something:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would leave it up to the IDJ experts to sort out the best spacing for the size diamond you are getting. Yekutiel has an amazing eye for what is in perfect proportion!

I like the 34" decision - it will be balanced at the back, it will be just that little teeny bit extra that may be more comfortable when doubled, the diamonds are starting at your clavicle so you aren't "wasting" diamonds where you and others can't appreciate them... and... its just gonna be beautiful, so don't worry!! :lol:

Don't second guess your decision - you thought about it, had input, felt confident with it --- don't stress about it, HOT. IMO, I think you made the right decision. :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second Enerchi. I did the same thing. I kept second guessing my decision, back and forth. It's a lot of money and ofc you want it to be as perfect as possible. It is going to be friggin gorgeous!!!!!!!! Good luck and do not worry! And don't forget we are going to want pages and pages of pics! :cheeky:

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
FancyDiamond|1354723086|3323154 said:
If you worry about long chain getting caught, then get 34". I think 32' is too short for you.

Another question - Will you be using your own 32.5" chain? The reason I ask is that your necklace looks substantial enough, yet proportional to large dbty melees of 20-pts. If you are getting the chain from IDJ, you may need to determine if the chain is "thick" enough for 20-pt melees. I always think that the dbty chain, especially in gold, is too delicate. It is OK for small melees, but I am not sure about 20-pt size.

As for the spacing, I also debate about even spacing versus shorter spacing in front. My dbty necklace never slides up and down, because the weight of the dangling pendant keeps it from doing so. If you place all diamonds in front with 2.5"-2.75" spacing, I wonder if the extra weight in the front will be enough to keep the chain from sliding up and down? If so, then you can get the best of both worlds - being able to achieve smaller spacing without having to pay for extra diamonds that are hidden most of the time and not having to worry about your neck being poked by the diamond cutlets. I am curious about what you decide and please share you experience after you wear the necklace.

Luann said that there would be no danger to the culets and that no one had ever complained so that is a good thing. :))

No, i am using their chains. When I first enquired I asked about using a stronger chain for the longer length but she assured me that it would be sturdy enough, so i left it. Now that i have seen your question I have asked Luann again becasue I'm not only worried about the sturdiness of the chain but also the overall look as i am going 'substantial' where the DBTY chains normally fade away, and look very delicate. So i'll just have to see if they can do it in a thicker chain.

I think i am going to go with the diamonds placed closer to the front. I'm not as worried about the spacing (I think i would be completely happy with 3 inches apart) but 2.5 - 2.75 would be ideal. I am more worried about where the first two stones will sit in relation to my neck. I don't want them too far back (at 3 inches they are still pretty much at the back on me) at 4 inches it's just a smidge to long, so i thing I will be happy with 3.75 inch start point.

I will be sure to share my experiences. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results