shape
carat
color
clarity

How to Judge A Diamond using An Ideal Scope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ldkhanh151

Rough_Rock
How could you compare 2 diamonds using the ideal scope? The brighter the red, the better OR the darker the red, the better?

I only know that if there is too much of the white you can see, then that is not a good one, but I am not sure about the redness of the diamond. Could someone help me out w/ this??

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I do not like people to try to compare red darkness or intensity - there are too many different and inconsistent lighting and photoshop habits.

As well our ability to assess shades of paleness in the red image is about 3-4 times better than the effect that we see from light return.

Look for great symmetry and no obvious very pale or white inside the table. Bits of white around the edge are ok or great depending on your religious views
1.gif

Diamond Angel

Rough_Rock
would be fun to use shopping...if i had one to look at diamonds with...do jewelers in most stores allow you to do that as a rule?

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 10/5/2004 8:52:21 PM Garry H (Cut Nut) wrote:

I do not like people to try to compare red darkness or intensity - there are too many different and inconsistent lighting and photoshop habits.

As well our ability to assess shades of paleness in the red image is about 3-4 times better than the effect that we see from light return.

Look for great symmetry and no obvious very pale or white inside the table. Bits of white around the edge are ok or great depending on your religious views
1.gif
----------------

But if someone has your IdealScope, Garry, with a consistent light source, they can compare the stones in a consistent environment.

Pictures are different. I agree that it is not fair to compare one image to another and say that picture A is darker red compared to picture B, unless they are taken with the same device, under the same light source, with the same camera and not doctored with photoshop. But one can compare the darkness of the outer ring vs the inner ring within the same photo. If the outer ring is dark red, and the inner ring appears pale, we can guess that something is amiss (probably pavilion angles). Am I right to say that?

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 10/5/2004 11:21:08 PM Diamond Angel wrote:

would be fun to use shopping...if i had one to look at diamonds with...do jewelers in most stores allow you to do that as a rule?----------------

If the jeweller does not allow you to do that, then don't buy from that jeweller.

In Singapore, most jewellers don't know what the hell you're doing with that pink thing. They are more curious than anything else. But they are learning. The will know, once the second customer walks in with the pink thing... It's getting more popular.
twirl.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I secret shop all over the place (but not at home where i am known) with my IS
1.gif

most people do not even care - and in up market stores they do not even ask because they already know so much
read.gif

Kevin at what you would call 50% paleness = 25% leakage in the table - and this is down from around 10% leakage in say an 8* in that region - so that is why i say do not try to be too clever with the hair splitting. Just avoid real white patches. the buying example on www.ideal-scope.com is the best example.

re photo's - that is why we have released a standardised photo system - but we will probably need you guys to apply some pressure to have vendors agree to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results