shape
carat
color
clarity

How long to CADs take?

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
I sent in my e-ring and w-band to a vendor on January 24th. I wanted the rings sized and wanted to see about getting an eternity band made to match my set. Since my set is very low, the eternity band would have to be custom made. It has been almost 4 weeks now and it's making me wonder how long custom CADs take. Can anybody explain?

I'm trying to be patient but I guess I'm surprised that it's taking so long. When I sent the rings in at the end of January I asked if I'd have everything back by March the 6th as I need my rings for two events. They sort of laughed and said "of course" and that production doesn't take that long (which was a relief at that time but now I'm wondering if I'll get them back by then). Every time I call in or email to get an update, they tell me to be patient and that becasue I'm asking for something very specific (ie a low setting for the eternity band so that it matches the profile of my other rings) that its taking long. I'm a bit frustrated with their customer service at this piont as they've made me feel like I'm a pest because I keep asking for information/updates :( I know it's a good vendor but I just wish they would have told me ahead of time that it was going to take so long.

Can anone explain the CAD process to me so that maybe I can gain a better understanding of why it is taking so long?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you spoken with them lately? If today is Feb 18 and you want the finished ring delivered to wear by March 6... isn't that cutting it a bit tight? They knew the deadline from the onset? I have no CAD experience but I can "work a calendar"! :lol:

Knowing how crazy long my own "non-CAD" custom ring took, I can assure you MY store would not get it done in time! :angryfire:

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
I'd settle for just getting my current rings back and having the eternity band come later. BUT since I'm going custom and want the rings to work together, I'm thinking they may have to hang onto my rings until production of the eternity band so ensure it is made to sit together with my current set. The vendor did mention that they were going to take photos of my rings with wax models of the new eternity band so that I could see how it would work together. But, I'm not sure that the final product turns out exaxtly liek the wax model. Is that the case? If so, they'd just need to make the wax model, see how it fits together with my rings and if I okay it, they can send my rings back and I can wait for the eternity band.

I'm going to be peeved if I don't at least get my own rings back though. I DID mention it from the beginning and my suggestion that I might not have them back by a certain date was sort of laughed at (in a good way) because they said that things don't take that long.
At this point I don't want to ask again for an update because when I spoke to them this week they seemed a bit frustrated that I kept asking for updates.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would think CADs would be sooner than 4 weeks? I would call the vendor.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47 said:

You would think right? I would have thought they would be done sooner as well. When I doubt contact hem and ask...

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
Re: How long do CADs take?

slg47|1329583129|3128746 said:

That's what I'd think too but I don't know much about CADs. Not sure if you read my other posts but I don't want to call the vendor again because the last time I spoke to them (Wednesday) I was made to feel like I was being a pest for continually asking for updates. Okay, not continually....maybe 1-2 times a week.

My latest communication went something like this:

Rings sent in on Jan 24th...

(a few emails exchanged about them working on the project and that they will provide updates)

Wed 8th...talked to jeweller who said he'd call me back that day or the next to let me know what my options are
Fri 10th....still no word from vendor so I called and was told that they were working on CADs (which I was not told on the 8th) which should be ready by Monday or Tuesday.
Tue 14th...received email saying that they are working on the design and hopefully they'd be able to send me images the next day. I confirmed receipt of the email and asked for confirmation that I'd get my own rings back by a certain date in March.
Wed 15th...no word yet so I called and spoke to jeweller who told me to be patient and that they're working on the design and would contact me when they have something. I'm still waiting.

That was my last communication with them. I get it that custom takes a while. But they keep telling me they will call or write on a certain date and then they just don't. I didn't think I was asking for such a complicated design but maybe they're having troubles making it work with my rings. I don't *think* I'm being unreasonable but then again I don't know how hard CADs and wax models are to create.

I really want my rings back for my birthday and a wedding I have to go to. But with this delay I don't even know if that will be possible because say I don't like the CADs they come up with initially, then they will still need my rings there to make changes and make sure the new change will work with my rings.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I would email with receipt confirmation and be very straight forward/firm. Tell them that you need a timeline in writing. You also need the date when the ring will be done COMPLETELY. Explain to them that you understand that it is a process but you have your own deadlines that they need to meet which you have communicated to them before. Explain to them that if they are unable to provide and stick with a timeline and deadline you would like to have your rings returned to you and your money refunded by XXX date.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
AllieLuv83|1329592318|3128820 said:
I would email with receipt confirmation and be very straight forward/firm. Tell them that you need a timeline in writing. You also need the date when the ring will be done COMPLETELY. Explain to them that you understand that it is a process but you have your own deadlines that they need to meet which you have communicated to them before. Explain to them that if they are unable to provide and stick with a timeline and deadline you would like to have your rings returned to you and your money refunded by XXX date.

Good idea.

I'm just afraid to get on their bad side, KWIM? I bought my e-ring and w-band set from them so they're the best options for making me an eternity band. Also, they have a lifetime upgrade policy so I'd rather not take my business elsewhere. I have not paid anything yet. Another reason I am eager to see my design options is that I want to know what this project will cost which they have not told me yet. Sigh. I think what I'll do is give myself a deadline for hearing back from them and I will try not to be too eager until then and pester them for information. If I don't hear back back that deadline, I'll send a firm eamil like you suggested. I last heard from them on Wednesday so maybe I'll wait one week, until Wednesday and then take action.

Thanks for the advice.

But in the meantime, is there no one that can she dmore light on teh CAD/wax model process?

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think that asking for these things is being ridiculous. I wouldn't worry about the life time upgrade policy they should honor that no matter what as long as this is stated somewhere in writing. I understand you wanting to stay with the same vendor but if they are not providing you with the service that you want you need to let them know that. Many of the PS vendors will bend over backwards to make their customers happy. Some may not. I think giving yourself a personal timeline is a good idea.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sirbenson|1329599012|3128875 said:

Good idea.

I'm just afraid to get on their bad side, KWIM? I bought my e-ring and w-band set from them so they're the best options for making me an eternity band. Also, they have a lifetime upgrade policy so I'd rather not take my business elsewhere. I have not paid anything yet. Another reason I am eager to see my design options is that I want to know what this project will cost which they have not told me yet. Sigh. I think what I'll do is give myself a deadline for hearing back from them and I will try not to be too eager until then and pester them for information. If I don't hear back back that deadline, I'll send a firm eamil like you suggested. I last heard from them on Wednesday so maybe I'll wait one week, until Wednesday and then take action.

Thanks for the advice.

But in the meantime, is there no one that can she dmore light on teh CAD/wax model process?

Hi sirbenson. Okay, the above seems a little odd to me. I have been through the custom/CAD process. Generally, it went like this:

1) contact vendor about what I'm looking for
2) they reply with a quote so I know what the cost will be
3) I accept quote and put a $500 CAD deposit down
4) they tell me when the CADS will be ready and then e-mail them to me on that date
5) I approve or make slight changes/tweaks
6) once CADs are approved, it takes 2-3 additional weeks to finish ring, and the remainder of the ring is paid off

At this point, I don't think the eternity band will be done by March 6th, but obviously I can't say for sure since I'm not the vendor. They know your deadline so maybe they will expedite everything. I am just surprised you don't have a quote or anything, and you didn't have to put a CAD deposit down. I would call them again just to clarify everything. Good luck!! I'm sure your eternity will be BEAUTIFUL!

lagori

Rough_Rock
The CAD design itself should take them no more than a day or two. The only thing that should keep them from working on your CADs and sending them to you at a later date is a potential backlog of orders. If they have 50 customers waiting on their CADs before you then it makes sense that you have been waiting for your CADs for so long. However, in either case, they should have provided you with a reasonable time estimate before you paid them deposit. Especially, given your time constraint.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
Laila619|1329601006|3128889 said:
sirbenson|1329599012|3128875 said:

Good idea.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi sirbenson. Okay, the above seems a little odd to me. I have been through the custom/CAD process. Generally, it went like this:

1) contact vendor about what I'm looking for
2) they reply with a quote so I know what the cost will be
3) I accept quote and put a $500 CAD deposit down
4) they tell me when the CADS will be ready and then e-mail them to me on that date
5) I approve or make slight changes/tweaks
6) once CADs are approved, it takes 2-3 additional weeks to finish ring, and the remainder of the ring is paid off

At this point, I don't think the eternity band will be done by March 6th, but obviously I can't say for sure since I'm not the vendor. They know your deadline so maybe they will expedite everything. I am just surprised you don't have a quote or anything, and you didn't have to put a CAD deposit down. I would call them again just to clarify everything. Good luck!! I'm sure your eternity will be BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks, that helps me understand the CAD procedure. In this case I was never asked for a deposit for them to create the CADs. Actually when I sent in my rings, ALL I was asking for at that point was to know IF something would be possible in a shared or single prong style that woudl go with my current rings. I didn't even tell them to go ahead with the CADs and had no idea they were doing so. At first, all I asked for was confirmation that what my vision was would actually be possible. And at first they said they'd take some measurements and then let me know the possiblities. So I was surprised when I called in one day and was told that they were working on CADs. My reaction was basically....."Oh...well no one ever called me to let me know IF the eternity ring was even possbile and now you are poceeding with CADs? I'd rather discuss what is possible ahead of time before anyone wastes their time on CADs" But they continued with the CADs. I will be furious if Iget charged for these CADs as I NEVER asked them to get to that step. At first I was only asking to discuss what my possiblities were based on the width and height of my current rings.

Its okay with me if the eternity band project is not finished by March 6th. I figured that would take some time. But I will be VERY disappointed if my own rings are not back by that time, especially since they found it funny that I asked if it would take that long even before I sen the rings in (pre Jan 24th).

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
lagori|1329604817|3128930 said:
The CAD design itself should take them no more than a day or two. The only thing that should keep them from working on your CADs and sending them to you at a later date is a potential backlog of orders. If they have 50 customers waiting on their CADs before you then it makes sense that you have been waiting for your CADs for so long. However, in either case, they should have provided you with a reasonable time estimate before you paid them deposit. Especially, given your time constraint.

A day or two? Well I've certainly been waiting longer than that. And maybe if they told me upfront that it would take so long I wouldn't have worried so much. But I asked twice if it would take until the first week of March and both times was told that their production department doesn't take that long. I even suggested that maybe they get busy around Valentine's Day and it might cause a delay and they basically told me nope, production keeps going. For the record, I did not pay them a deposit. So I hope they will not be asking me for one after the fact if I do not like the CADs.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
when I had CADs done it took around 2 weeks. However...I am sure time varies with how busy vendor is/how complicated design is/how similar the design is to other designs they have done/other factors

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
slg47|1329609319|3128977 said:
when I had CADs done it took around 2 weeks. However...I am sure time varies with how busy vendor is/how complicated design is/how similar the design is to other designs they have done/other factors

Okay, this is good to know. Thanks.

The rings have been there for almost 4 weeks but I believe they didn't start working on the CADs until about one week ago.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
Amys Bling|1329661560|3129248 said:
Have you reached out to them?

Not since Wednesday. Based on their reaction to me calling and asking for an update on Wednesday, I'm hesitant to ask again. But this has been bothering me so much. I'm trying to practice some patience but I'm starting to get furious. I talked to the jeweller on Wednesday. Today is Sunday. I'll give it until Wednesday (so one full week) and then I will write them an email. I figure an email is my best bet so that I have it documented in writing. I don't know how I will find it in me to wait until Wednesday :errrr:

I'm so surprised that this company that people so often rave about on Pricescope has provided (in my opinion) such bad customer service on this matter. I mean, I emailed them last Tuesday and they STILL have not replied to it. In that email I asked for an update on the eternity band and asked for confirmation that my rings would be back by a certain date. I did call in on Wednesday and was told to have some more patience and at the time they did not confirm that I'd get my rings back on time. So in my opinion, that email I sent is still hanging, unanswered.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not wait until Wednesday, I would try again sooner.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1329699669|3129644 said:

ditto this...call them ASAP. They may be closed Mon so I would call them Tues for sure. After you call you can e-mail with a summary so you have it in writing.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
slg47|1329700770|3129663 said:

ditto this...call them ASAP. They may be closed Mon so I would call them Tues for sure. After you call you can e-mail with a summary so you have it in writing.

See, I'm usually very good with things like this and being assertive. But it was just the tone of voice and slight exasperation that I sensed the last time I called in that makes me not want to call yet otherwise I might get very frustrated over the phone if I'm told one more time "nope, not ready yet, be more patient". I was almost thinking that some more experiences PSers might tell me that I AM being impatient and that I AM overreacting too soon but that doesn't seem to be the case so I suppose I'm being quite fair.

Not sure where the list of PS vendors is....its a popular vendor on PS. Likely not fair for me to mention names until I get this sorted out. Though you are free to search for my other posts ;))

Any suggestions on what to say if I call in again and am met with frustration that I'm asking yet again for an update? Or even if they happyily tell me that there is no update yet? I'm afraid my impaitence may cause me to lose my diplomacy over the phone :(

Admittedly maybe I'm worrying more than I need to about this. But my rings have been there almost a month and I want some answers by now. Sigh.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
sirbenson|1329701238|3129669 said:
slg47|1329700770|3129663 said:

See, I'm usually very good with things like this and being assertive. But it was just the tone of voice and slight exasperation that I sensed the last time I called in that makes me not want to call yet otherwise I might get very frustrated over the phone if I'm told one more time "nope, not ready yet, be more patient". I was almost thinking that some more experiences PSers might tell me that I AM being impatient and that I AM overreacting too soon but that doesn't seem to be the case so I suppose I'm being quite fair.

Not sure where the list of PS vendors is....its a popular vendor on PS. Likely not fair for me to mention names until I get this sorted out. Though you are free to search for my other posts ;))

Any suggestions on what to say if I call in again and am met with frustration that I'm asking yet again for an update? Or even if they happyily tell me that there is no update yet? I'm afraid my impaitence may cause me to lose my diplomacy over the phone :(

just be assertive...tell them that you had given them the March 6th date previously, and you need to know when the CADs will be ready.

Admittedly maybe I'm worrying more than I need to about this. But my rings have been there almost a month and I want some answers by now. Sigh.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
Well to clarify...when I originally sent the rings in (in January) I never gave them the date deadline. I DID ask over the phone if having the rings back by March 6th would be a problem and was only verbally told that "yes" they'd be ready since production doesn't take 6+ weeks. Based on the way they sorta chuckled when I asked if getting them back for March 6th woudl be a problem and them verbally telling me no problemo!, I never (at that time) felt the need to get it in writing. I asked about having the rings back by a certain date on Tuesday (this past Tuesday). That email was never responded to. In fairness to them it was the first time I asked in writing to have the rings back by a certain date. But in fairness to me, I never put it in writing earlier since they told me over the phone on the third week of Janurary that 6+ weeks was very far out and it woudln't even take that long. Having the eternity band ready for March 6th isn't an issue for me. My concerns are having my original rings back by that date, and getting feedback about when they've been working on for the past (almost) 4 weks.

Does that make sense? Now I feel like I'm just whining and rambling :oops:

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Ok I read your past threads I find it very hard to believe that this vendor would no require a deposit for a project like this. Seems to me that there might be some miscommunication going on. This is no mom and pop operation. This vendor has done many projects. You need to draft and email if just to clarify the information you already have. Say "I am sorry to be a pest but I need some clarification...are the CADS in the works? Do you need a deposit for this project? Will it be completed by march 6th like previously discussed? When will I be able to see and approve the cads? Etc." i do have to say that I found this particular vendor a bit difficult to communicate with as well.

chele162

Rough_Rock
Oh dear. Well, I hope that you get your rings back in time! I just wanted to say that I just recently dealt with this vendor (assuming that I'm guessing correctly) and I had some email communication problems at one time. I was asking for a price quote on an additional item, I waited about a week and never heard back. I thought that it was very strange because the person that I was dealing with was generally very prompt but I just let it go. Right after that, I received an email asking me if I had gotten the email with the price quote in it because they hadn't heard back from me. I replied that I didn't and they told me that they were having issues with a new email system. They told me if I was waiting for a reply and didn't hear for a little bit, to try sending another email because of the problem. I'm not trying to stick up for anyone but just wanted to throw that out there.

If I were in your shoes though, I know that I would be worrying about it also. I'm just a natural worrywart! :wacko:

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
AllieLuv83|1329702709|3129688 said:
Ok I read your past threads I find it very hard to believe that this vendor would no require a deposit for a project like this. Seems to me that there might be some miscommunication going on. This is no mom and pop operation. This vendor has done many projects. You need to draft and email if just to clarify the information you already have. Say "I am sorry to be a pest but I need some clarification...are the CADS in the works? Do you need a deposit for this project? Will it be completed by march 6th like previously discussed? When will I be able to see and approve the cads? Etc." i do have to say that I found this particular vendor a bit difficult to communicate with as well.

Thanks. This is good advice. I can use the reason of needing clarification on the CAD process as an "excuse" to contact them again.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Also I am not quite understanding why they need to have your rings in the first place? Can't they take measurement and send them back? If nothing else I would ask for them to be returned to you ASAP!

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
chele162|1329702761|3129689 said:
Oh dear. Well, I hope that you get your rings back in time! I just wanted to say that I just recently dealt with this vendor (assuming that I'm guessing correctly) and I had some email communication problems at one time. I was asking for a price quote on an additional item, I waited about a week and never heard back. I thought that it was very strange because the person that I was dealing with was generally very prompt but I just let it go. Right after that, I received an email asking me if I had gotten the email with the price quote in it because they hadn't heard back from me. I replied that I didn't and they told me that they were having issues with a new email system. They told me if I was waiting for a reply and didn't hear for a little bit, to try sending another email because of the problem. I'm not trying to stick up for anyone but just wanted to throw that out there.

If I were in your shoes though, I know that I would be worrying about it also. I'm just a natural worrywart! :wacko:

Let's just say that when I was dealing with them when I was buying my e-ring/w-band or when I was sending inquiries about my rings, I had to send follow up emails along the lines of "when can I expect a response to my e-mail from X-days ago?" Not every time, but often enough that I remember having to do so.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Honey I know you feel since you have no money involved that you need to have an excuse to contact them but honestly they should be answering your questions no matter what you are the customer you shouldn't be made to feel like a neusance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results