shape
carat
color
clarity

How far can you resize an 18k ring?

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I am looking at resizing this ring at least 2 sizes maybe even 2.5 if I want to wear it as a stacker (which I do) :-o My current set was resized 3.5 sizes by inserting a new bar of gold into the back, and was very well done as you cannot tell it was resized at all if it wasn't for it being smack dab in the middle of the hallmark. ::) I believe I paid $150 to have two rings resized that way, but this was a few years ago in another country.

Is it it feasible to have this ring resized up 2.5 sizes?

backview.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would move this to Rocky Talky since that is where most of the jewelers read and post.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe, I had a somewhat similar ring sized up 2.5 sizes and my jeweler didnt even balk when I mention how big I needed it, they will have to add gold, I think I paid right around $100 for it, but mine was 14K not 18K and that was earlier this year before the gold went up so much.

ETA: my ring does look a little more oblong vs round.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
diamondrnglover|1318199695|3036721 said:
Maybe, I had a somewhat similar ring sized up 2.5 sizes and my jeweler didnt even balk when I mention how big I needed it, they will have to add gold, I think I paid right around $100 for it, but mine was 14K not 18K and that was earlier this year before the gold went up so much.

How sturdy was your band to start with? The oblong-ness wouldn't bother me that much as it's a vintage piece anyway. The only sticking point is whether or not it could even be resized that much. Hopefully a tradesperson will be able to chime in. ::)

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Bumping in the hopes of a response from a tradesperson. :read:

I emailed the seller and he thinks it can be resized, but since he's not a jeweller, he may just be trying to sell off his pieces. Because he's in the UK, returning within the 3 day timeframe would be impossible.

Can any jewellers out there help me out? ::)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most sellers allow the return period to be from when the item arrived to you. Even within the UK items are received within 3 days of paying. 3 days would give you enough time probably, but the cost to send it back would be pain. International shipping from the UK is much less expensive than international shipping from the US.

I used to take my jeweller photos of item to get his opinion on sizing.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Galateia|1318210433|3036817 said:

How sturdy was your band to start with? The oblong-ness wouldn't bother me that much as it's a vintage piece anyway. The only sticking point is whether or not it could even be resized that much. Hopefully a tradesperson will be able to chime in. ::)

The band was pretty hefty to begin with and it had never been sized before...hopefully you will be able to size it.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
diamondrnglover|1318281856|3037252 said:
Galateia|1318210433|3036817 said:

The band was pretty hefty to begin with and it had never been sized before...hopefully you will be able to size it.

I am not sure if this ring has been sized before. Since I'm no expert, I have no idea if the band is sturdy enough to withstand resizing, but the seller did include a pic of the back of the shank so I was able to post that.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to work for a jeweller and we resized tons of rings similar to that lovely one you posted Galateia, even up as much as 5-6 sizes providing the structure of the ring allowed us to do so. The piece that is put in is the same thickess (usually) as the narrowest part of the underside of the band, so it shouldn't affect its sturdiness so long as it's done properly... the only difference may be as diamondrnglver mentioned, it may be slighty oval shaped, which you can't tell when the ring is being worn. Also the band looks pretty solid, ie no scooping out of the sides, so I reckon it will be fine. The other option I guess would be a whole new half shank, especially if you'd prefer a slightly thicker band, but that is far more $$$.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
DandiAndi|1318308114|3037539 said:
I used to work for a jeweller and we resized tons of rings similar to that lovely one you posted Galateia, even up as much as 5-6 sizes providing the structure of the ring allowed us to do so. The piece that is put in is the same thickess (usually) as the narrowest part of the underside of the band, so it shouldn't affect its sturdiness so long as it's done properly... the only difference may be as diamondrnglver mentioned, it may be slighty oval shaped, which you can't tell when the ring is being worn. Also the band looks pretty solid, ie no scooping out of the sides, so I reckon it will be fine. The other option I guess would be a whole new half shank, especially if you'd prefer a slightly thicker band, but that is far more $$$.

Yay! Thank you SO much, DandiAndi! :wavey: That makes things both easier and harder in terms of making a decision, because this ring is now back on the options list!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results