shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you photograph your diamonds so well?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Agave

Rough_Rock
I profusely appologize if this question was already asked, but how do you photograph your diamonds?
I''ve been trying SO many times but it always comes out blurry, or it looks all glittery because the fire just ends up blurring

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I have not photographed diamonds simply cause I have not received mine yet :) But when I have photographed other jewelery the best results for me are with the camera on macro mode and usually have the light to the back of me :).

Also practice makes perfect it does take a bit GL :)

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
I'm far from a photo pro but I have gotten some good shots by practicing.
The basics are to use the macro ( Flower) feature and turn the flash off.
You also need good lighting such as natural sunlight or a desk lamp to shine over your jewelery. Steady pulse and a handful of trying.
I took some good fire shots using my camcorder still photo feature. You can try that also.
Hopefully the expert photographers such as Ellen and Coati ( to name a few... cause we have plenty here) will chime in with more tips.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have had success by doing the following:

1. Macro (flower) setting on camera
2. Set the object on something where there is great light - diffused sunlight works great. My favorite is a windowsill.
3. Prop the camera against something too, so that it''s perfectly still.
4. Take lots of pics! I usually have to take 20 if I want 3 or 4 really great ones.

Good luck!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2008 9:24:46 PM
Author:Agave
I profusely appologize if this question was already asked, but how do you photograph your diamonds?
I''ve been trying SO many times but it always comes out blurry, or it looks all glittery because the fire just ends up blurring
The gals have given great advice, and I''ll just ditto something Erica said. Hold the camera STILL. I can''t stress that enough. You can do all the other things right, but if you move the camera when clicking, it will still come out blurry. It helps if you can prop your arms/elbows/hands on something to steady them.

Just experiment, and have fun. You''ll get there!

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
A great way to avoid a shot blurred by motion (especially caused when you''re pressing the button) is to rest the camera on something (or use a tripod) then use the timer function to take the shot.

I have to say that the best way to get photos of jewellery is to have the piece custom made by Whiteflash. They''ll send you amazing photos of the completed work!
31.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2008 7:52:15 AM
Author: Splinter
A great way to avoid a shot blurred by motion (especially caused when you''re pressing the button) is to rest the camera on something (or use a tripod) then use the timer function to take the shot.

I have to say that the best way to get photos of jewellery is to have the piece custom made by Whiteflash. They''ll send you amazing photos of the completed work!
31.gif
Stop holding out and make a thread you!!
9.gif

edy

Rough_Rock
As others have said, keeping the camera still is key! If you have a camera with image stabilization, make sure it''s on, as it can help a lot!

Another thing to use is the camera''s timer. This will help reduce any shake that you might probably produce by hitting/pushing the shutter button. Ideally, you want to roll your finger to take the picture and not make a quick jab/stab at it.

Alternatively, you can go out and buy a $10 - $20 tripod, which will keep your camera still!

Agave

Rough_Rock
that makes sense, i was shooting without the tri-pod :)
so how about lighting? how would i get the best sparkle?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2008 7:26:20 PM
Author: Agave
that makes sense, i was shooting without the tri-pod :)
so how about lighting? how would i get the best sparkle?
I dont have a tri-pod, but I manage ok. You don''t HAVE to have one, but I guess they''d make things easier at times.
9.gif
They would also be somewhat limiting, at least to me, but I like to take pics at weird angles.

I would suggest experimenting in/under the different lights in your house. Most indoor lighting does not produce the best pics, but you never know until you try! (just don''t take a ton, a few in each one to see first). I find brightly diffused sunlight is most complimentary, and then full sun for great fire shots/sparkle.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer to use natural lighting. In addition, either backlighting or indirect lighting seem to really make diamonds look nice. I use the macro button, no flash, and a steady hand.

Agave

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the wonderful info, I will try the suggestions :)

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tried many of these suggestions and it just dosent work, lol, I have figured out that you need a really good camera and it needs to be fairly new, I purchased a decent camera in 2005 and it dosent take the kind of pictures that are on here.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2008 8:18:57 PM
Author: diamondrnglover
I have tried many of these suggestions and it just dosent work, lol, I have figured out that you need a really good camera and it needs to be fairly new, I purchased a decent camera in 2005 and it dosent take the kind of pictures that are on here.
Nah, my camera is just a Cannon point and shoot (under 300), bought in 04 or 05. Keep trying!!

Agave, can''t wait to see what you get!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have two cameras - a Canon A640 and a Nikon D60 - and I found that my cheaper canon actually works better for this because I can get it far closer to whatever I am taking pictures of. I have two ways of doing it.

1. On a flat surface (like your kitchen table) prop up three white sheets of paper or mat board, and lay a white sheet down with the three surrounding it so no table surface shows. You can leave out the bottom sheet if you want it to look more natural. Lay your ring in the middle, and set a lamp or even your regular kitchen light above the setup so that the light is "bounced" off all the white surfaces onto your ring. Set your camera onto macro mode (the little flower), and snap away. Make sure your camera doesn''t move - it''s less likely to blur. If you are comfortable with the manual settings on your camera, let me know and I can tell you the best ones for a basic digicam in macro.

2. If you want to take a shot of the ring on your hand, lay your hand on something steady like your knee, table, etc. Sit outside in nice direct sunlight, or next to a window with lots of natural light. (Since it''s kind of hard to focus light and snap a camera with one hand, this is the easiest way.) Again, macro mode, and snap away.

I usually use a tripod or prop my camera against something unless your camera has VR - Vibration Resistance.

Practice, practice, practice!

Agave

Rough_Rock
what would be the best way to pose the hand for a hand pic?
i have pretty long and fairly thin fingers (5 1/4 ring finger) but when i try to take a pic it just ends up looking ugh
7.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
If you don''t like the look of your hands much, I like holding something - like a rose - loosely, with all the focus on the ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results