shape
carat
color
clarity

How are BGD's claw prongs?

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I am currently having my Brian Gavin recut set into the Barbara Martini pendant. I am wondering if I should see if they could make the three prongs be claw instead of rounded? Has anyone had them do claw prongs before? Are they nice and are you happy with them?

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can certainly request little claw prongs. You just can hardly see them on smaller stones. Has anyone here had that pendant before? I am just wondering how it hangs.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1357319998|3347259 said:
You can certainly request little claw prongs. You just can hardly see them on smaller stones. Has anyone here had that pendant before? I am just wondering how it hangs.

I have never seen the Barbara martini here, only the bezel. Perhaps I am the guinea pig for this style? I guess I'll have to wait and see how it hangs....hopefully good! I think I might email Jamie and see what she says. I could be too late in this request.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They do small prongs, so I doubt it will matter much anyway. My Barbara had a rounded back and it rolls back and forth. That is why I was asking. They need to do a flat back to make the pendants stay flat on the skin. I didn't do a good job explaining that when I had mine done because I had asked for a round disc in back but they made it so little that it was still like a ball on the back. I am having mine reset anyway because I felt like it looked smaller than I wanted. But that is why I was asking because this one looks kind of rounded on the back, too. Can't really tell, though.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I've been sort of wondering about that myself. Is it possible for you to post a picture of the back of your pendant?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I have studs from BGD and they changed the head on my e-ring and they did claw prongs on them and I think they're perfect. I always vote for claw prongs over round prongs.

A couple of the BGD glamour pics, although the prongs might be hard to see:

4617_briangavin_6sidestones4b_0.jpg

7973_briangavin_6sidestones3b_0.jpg

1961_briangavin_jackets3b_050112.jpg

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful pieces Stargurl! :love:

Thanks for the pictures...it helps! How big are your studs?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
orbaya|1357321340|3347281 said:
Beautiful pieces Stargurl! :love:

Thanks for the pictures...it helps! How big are your studs?

Thanks Orbaya! The studs are 0.44ct each.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a pic of my BGD martini set studs on .44 / .43 J's - those are on the earrings. I'll see if I've got ollo clip shots for the 3 stone...

img_0487.jpg

img_0489.jpg

img_0495.jpg

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
Hi Orbaya,
I have some beautiful BGD studs set into their three prong martini settings. The diamonds are .7ct each and the claw prongs they have done on them are incredibly delicate and beautiful. I was thrilled with them.

Like a twit I accidentally deleted the glamour photos of them that they sent me, but I'll try to post a photo of how they look.
I also have a 1ct three prong martini pendant that I had set here in Sydney and my 2ct RB set into Victor Canera's gorgeous Emylia halo (due to customs issues Victor didn't set my diamond into the setting, I had I done here in Sydney) and the BGD prongs I think are the most refined.

I think you'd be very happy. :wavey:

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! For the pictures!

LOL at being a twit....I've always found that to be a funny word. Thanks for your experience with prongs!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you DS!! Yes, I can see how that it is too small! I'm starting to get a bit nervous now. Should I request a large flat back now, or keep it as is?

You and I are "recut buddies"..... ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
orbaya|1357342463|3347594 said:
Thank you DS!! Yes, I can see how that it is too small! I'm starting to get a bit nervous now. Should I request a large flat back now, or keep it as is?

You and I are "recut buddies"..... ;))

Yep, very, very similar diamonds! Well, I don't know!!! I can't make out the back of yours very well in the pictures. My pendant is beautiful and it really doesn't cause a problem. It is just funny because when I turn my head, the pendant turns, too! I am not getting it reset because I don't like it, I just want a larger pendant. I just have seen pendants that have a flatter area in the back that makes it sit better. I'll see if I still have any pictures that show it.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I can see how that would make it sit well. I wonder how something like that would work with a martini style.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure how the martini back is designed. When I think of a 4 prong setting, there is a base. I had WF special order low 4 prong baskets (like the ones Tiffany uses) for my studs. When they are low, the base is a little larger which really prevents them from drooping on the ear. Martini studs either come to a point are are rounded on the base, but obviously on a pendant, the prongs cannot come to a point at the base! So that may mean it is rounded. I am not saying it will be a problem, but if it is, you can send it back, hopefully!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results