shape
carat
color
clarity

Here I go again- need help with size difference

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
I've been lurking more than posting in the last few months but not a day goes by that I'm not contemplating an upgrade to my AVC. I need someone to help me visualize the size difference between a stone that is 6.17x6.50 (my stone) and a stone that is 6.68x6.66 (an AVR). If anyone who has a computer software that can draw out these measurements out for me I'd really appreciate it! And I'd like to hear your thoughts on if you think there would be a decent enough visual between these 2 differently shaped stones. Thank you!!

Cachette :)

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Cachette said:
I've been lurking more than posting in the last few months but not a day goes by that I'm not contemplating an upgrade to my AVC. I need someone to help me visualize the size difference between a stone that is 6.17x6.50 (my stone) and a stone that is 6.68x6.66 (an AVR). If anyone who has a computer software that can draw out these measurements out for me I'd really appreciate it! And I'd like to hear your thoughts on if you think there would be a decent enough visual between these 2 differently shaped stones. Thank you!!

Quick and dirty in PowerPoint.
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1397360184929.jpg[/attachment]

uploadfromtaptalk1397360184929.jpg

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Crud. I don't think that uploaded.

ETA: just kidding. I see it now.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Faceup size is just surface area. A circle is a square with a lot of the corners rounded off. Area of circle is pi x diameter^ / 4.

Cushion is rectangle or square with little of the corners rounded off. Faceup is close to area of square or rectangle: Length x width

Get a see-thorough ruler that has a millimeter / centimeter scale. That might help you visualize, say, difference between 6mm / 6.5mm / 7mm.

Tennismom

Rough_Rock
Sorry I do not know how to add a link. Try **edited by moderator, no affiliate linked websites please**.com. It is diamond data base and they let you compare different diamond shapes. They will give you a percentage difference in the stones. Hope this helps.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Clairitek|1397360267|3652589 said:
Cachette said:

Quick and dirty in PowerPoint.
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1397360184929.jpg[/attachment]

Thank you very much Clairitek! That's great!

I'm surprised (and disappointed) that the round looks smaller (or close in size) to my cushion. Go figure.

Thanks again for taking the time to do the diagram for me!!

Cachette :))

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
TC1987|1397385361|3652664 said:
Faceup size is just surface area. A circle is a square with a lot of the corners rounded off. Area of circle is pi x diameter^ / 4.

Cushion is rectangle or square with little of the corners rounded off. Faceup is close to area of square or rectangle: Length x width

Get a see-thorough ruler that has a millimeter / centimeter scale. That might help you visualize, say, difference between 6mm / 6.5mm / 7mm.

Thank you TC1987! That makes sense. :)

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Tennismom|1397398631|3652711 said:
Sorry I do not know how to add a link. Try diamdb.com. It is diamond data base and they let you compare different diamond shapes and sizes to each other and show it on a finger also. They will give you a percentage difference in the stones. Hope this helps.

OMG!!! That is a fun site!! I used it an it says that my current stone is faceup a bit bigger than the round! I would never of guessed that because I was calculating 6.17x6.50 = 40.015 and 6.68x6.66=44.4888 so I assumed that the round would be visually bigger. Math was never my forte. I still don't really understand why the cushion looks bigger but has lower measurements. Is it because of the corners like TC1987 stated?

Thanks Tennismom for introducing me to the site! It will keep me entertained for hours and will be a big help to me to find a visually bigger stone!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
BLC|1397403407|3652751 said:
Use diamondmb - that website will show you all parameters in comparison.

Thank you BLC!! What a fun site!

Tennismom

Rough_Rock
You are welcome. I bookmarked it months ago and was so glad that I did. I kept going back to it for my diamond search. Finally found my perfect stone! It wasn't the biggest one but better color and clarity so I am happy.

FirefliesAtSunset

Rough_Rock
Hello dear friend!!! :wavey: Once you have all of this figured out, I cannot wait to see what you come up with!!! I look forward to seeing your upgrade IRL :love: :love:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You're just not calculating the circle area correctly, which is why you're getting a bigger number. It's Pi x radius squared, not length by width, like for a rectangle. So for the round, the area is about 35mm, which is smaller that your current stone.

Cachette|1397407733|3652776 said:
OMG!!! That is a fun site!! I used it an it says that my current stone is faceup a bit bigger than the round! I would never of guessed that because I was calculating 6.17x6.50 = 40.015 and 6.68x6.66=44.4888 so I assumed that the round would be visually bigger. Math was never my forte. I still don't really understand why the cushion looks bigger but has lower measurements. Is it because of the corners like TC1987 stated?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alene|1397485176|3653214 said:
You're just not calculating the circle area correctly, which is why you're getting a bigger number. It's Pi x radius squared, not length by width, like for a rectangle. So for the round, the area is about 35mm, which is smaller that your current stone.

Ditto to the above. The round has a surface area that is smaller than the cushion.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock

Cachette|1397407733|3652776 said:

Thank you for the explanation alene!! I'm not gonna lie to you, I feel a little simple for not knowing this basic mathematical fact. Eek. :rodent:

But it's a big help to me now and I can move forward with this new (forgotten!) information. lol.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1397486085|3653222 said:

Ditto to the above. The round has a surface area that is smaller than the cushion.

Thanks Chrono! I feel enlightened and I will be very aware of these calculations when I consider my next upgrade! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results