shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on this Square Cushion fr. ERD???!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jumpman22

Rough_Rock
I''m had ERD (Gary) look me up a square cushion and he found this one... my only concerns are:

1. The color (H), I initially wanted a H and above, but I would love a G or an F
2. Cutlet is listed as "medium"
3. Girdle is slightly thick to very thick (faceted)

attached is a not-so-great pic that Gary took and a copy of the GIA cert.

Please let me know whether or not i should pull the trigger. Price is ~$12.8k

1.70 H VVS2 Cush Brill.jpg

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, me likey! I think it looks like a wonderful modern cushion. I can't help you with the color question as I held out for an F cushion m'self. Regarding the culet - I wouldn't worry about a medium culet at all. Regarding the girdle, yeah, you might be losing a weensy bit of spread with the very thick portion, but the stone appears to be so pleasantly crafted, I'd give it a chance. I would say the only decision you'd really need to consider is your FF's color preference. It sort of reminds me of lablover's beautiful cushion. The clarity is someplace you could swap out for colour, but I imagine well cut square cushions aren't growing on trees.

ETA - I think I also see a little kozibe effect happening, which makes it all the more exciting.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Pix, it looks like a lovely stone, plus you can trust Mark and Gary as they are great with this shape. But if you would prefer the higher colour, then maybe see if they can find another which might suit.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
It looks like a lovely cushion to me but if your not 100% on the colour now you probably would be better waiting for something higher.

ERD pick beautiful cushions :)

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
That looks like a gorgeous stone. I can remember when I first received a pic of my stone from Mark... I immediately discounted it bc his pics are not the best. When I saw it in person I was blown away. I ended up buying that stone which happens to be a J... But let me tell you... those guys know their cushions. If they say it's white, then it's white.
Good Luck and let us know what you decide!!!

ETA~ Also regarding the culet... There really seems to be no rhyme or reason behind how they grade the size. Mine is a long slit that is not very visible. It is graded as small but two people in the know have told me that it looked like a medium culet. Then when looking I saw large culet that very Xtra large to me, and some that were smaller than mine... Not that that helps, but just letting you know what I experienced!

lablover

Rough_Rock
Hello! I had to jump in because as Pixley said, the stone does look a lot like mine!!!!
30.gif
I wanted to attach a picture of my stone so you could see the culet in mine! My GIA report also says medium! But like Crooked rock said, there doesn''t seem to be a set rule in grading culets! I really have to look to see the culet when looking at my stone while it is on my finger, but as you can see from the picture it is visible magnified! I happen to love the way it looks with an open culet! Your stone looks beautiful
30.gif
30.gif
, but if you think the H color will bother you, you may want to keep looking. My stone is an E with stong blue fluoro...so it faces up extremely white. BUT, I am very color sensitive. I wanted a very white stone. Lower colored stones are also VERY beautiful, it really depends what you like and how color sensitive you are!

jdiue.jpg

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Wow, VVS2. I bet it''s beautiful. Some vendors just don''t have very good photo skills
2.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I think it''s beautiful.

I didn''t know they had square cushions. I really like that cut.

Jumpman22

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies.

However, i am just trying to decide whether or not about the color now.

Is there a color difference that''s noticeable to most people (when the ring is set of course) to determine a H versus a G versus an F??

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2008 10:47:05 AM
Author: Jumpman22
Thanks for the replies.

However, i am just trying to decide whether or not about the color now.

Is there a color difference that''s noticeable to most people (when the ring is set of course) to determine a H versus a G versus an F??
I would very much doubt it between G and H, even between F and H I would think no one would be able to tell. The thing is, if an H colour would be '' mindclean'' to you or not, or in other words, if you could be happy with an H, or would rather hold out for an F - only you can decide.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I had an emerald cut that was labeled a J on my GIA report. However, it was really closer to H/I. Only very rarely and when looking from the side could you tell it had some color. I had it set in white gold with baguettes on either side.

jarbatz

Shiny_Rock
Jumpman - I can''t speak on your concerns regarding the culet but my boyfriend just popped the question last night with a beautiful 0.91 H SI1 picked out by Mark at ERD. I too was very nervous to go to an H and told Mark that but trusted him based on everything I had read here.

I haven''t had a chance to post pics yet but I can tell you that I don''t see any warmth just lots of sparkle! Oh and the girdle is also slightly think to very thick (faceted).

If you saw the picture of the diamond that Mark sent me, you would think we were crazy for pulling the trigger but it''s absolutely gorgeous.
30.gif

What kind of setting are you considering? And yes, you also need to consider your FF''s sensitivity to color.

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
I have been having similar issues with color. From looking at many stones over the past few days - and I looked at 13 cushions yesterday ranging from G to I, the G and H''s were virtually indistinguishable - especially face up. In fact, I saw one stone that I thought was a G face up that was actually an I! That said, I think a G or H is fine and you can probably get more bang for your buck vs an F color. I, personally, am aiming for G-H colors as I think some I colors do show color and also isnt as "mind-clean" for me knowing its an I. But I do think F may be overkill in some intances vs a G and the price points are so different.

G or H VS2 and you are getting a great stone. especially if Mark is selecting them - he will pick great stones for that color.

MomHelpingSon

Rough_Rock
I am currently helping my youngest through this process. Mind clean is very important to me--I would go with G or higher.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks lovely!! I personally wouldn''t worry much about the color. H stones are *white* and unless you are very color sensitive, it should be fine. If it''s not, you can always return it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results