shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Need technical/informed help with this James Meyer OEC

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock
I am a longtime admirer of James Meyer and a very long time lurker here on pricescope. I have learned so very much reading through these forums and owe so much to this community! The downside though is now I am armed with too much information to be able to just sit back and relax as Jim picks the stone. I have wanted nothing more than to own a JM piece for years, but now that’s its finally happening I am sort of freaking out over the lack of control in choosing the stone.

My choices are painfully limited because of my budget, and his diamond prices have me wringing my hands, because I know what I could get for the money elsewhere with enough due diligence. However, his settings are exceptionally reasonable and I understand that when you buy from him you are buying a piece of art that should be appreciated as a whole and not be dissected into its parts.

Understanding I should accept it as art, and actually being able to do that, are two different matters and I am very afraid I will not love this piece because I will not love this diamond. I am at a cross roads of either accepting this stone or moving on and would greatly appreciate any help or advice in making a decision!!!

Here are the GIA specs:
OEB
7.19 x 7.39 x 4.89 mm
1.64 carat
U-V color
VS2
Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Florescence None
Table 50%
Depth 67.1%
Girdle very thin- slightly thick (faceted)
Culet slightly large

I know the first thing that will jump out at everyone is the color, I love warm stones, but I am also fretting over this a bit. It does face up whiter than most down on this end of the spectrum and I am hoping for a pleasing light yellow diamond. So color aside, I would really like people’s opinions on the stone overall. The stone is a little deep and I am really worried about how this will affect the brilliance & especially the fire.

Jim has been very nice to work with and has responded to all of my questions including giving me multiple photos on multiple occasions. I am not comfortable going back to him over and over for more pics so this is what I have below.

The first two pics show my OEC on the left, next to an EGL 1.19carat L- color cushion on the right. These were the only two stones in his inventory within my budget and the cushion is way too small for my finger.
The next series of photos are his studio pics and the last three are natural light photos I requested.

Many thanks to all the lookers and to anyone who can offer technical guidance or informed opinions :D

01_8.jpgsidebyside_3.jpg4_91.jpg3_161.jpg2_218.jpg1_405.jpg6_36.jpg5_62.jpgoutside3.jpgoutside2_0.jpgoutside1_0.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help! Need technical/informed help with this James Meyer

I love his work, but him supplying the diamond is the one thing that bothers me. I want an excellent diamond, and a choice of 2 is not adequate in antique stones. I'd want to be able to look at 3-4 antique stone vendors and maybe have a choice of 20 stones. The thing that concerns me about the OEC is that I am not sure the color is evenly distributed. I also would not commit to a stone without it being sent to you to see first. You need to love the diamond, and if not, then wait.

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

I completely agree that two is not adequate and it’s keeping me up at night! To Jim’s credit though this has less to do with his inventory, and more to do my constrictive budget and desire for a larger stone. You might be right that I need to wait, but passing on my James Meyer dream is very tough to do.

You think the color of the diamond itself is not distributed evenly or are you referring to some other aspect like fire?

Thank you for your input!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Sorry you are feeling the stress. To that end, I also adore his work and understand your passion for it.

Is there a possibility that you can choose something at hand now and in the future, change that stone for something of higher color?

cheers--Sharon

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Hi Canuk-Gal,

That is a good question. I know he does not take outside stones, but I don't know if he's open to upgrades down the line.

I would worry that he would eventually go into full retirement by the time I was ready to do it, and at the risk of sounding sentimental I probably wouldn't be able to part with my engagement diamond anyway.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SunnyDelta|1437770871|3907048 said:
Hi Canuk-Gal,

That is a good question. I know he does not take outside stones, but I don't know if he's open to upgrades down the line.

I would worry that he would eventually go into full retirement by the time I was ready to do it, and at the risk of sounding sentimental I probably wouldn't be able to part with my engagement diamond anyway.

Understood.

You many never need to part with your original diamond--it could become a pendant or right hand ring, say at your 5 or 10th anniversary. While it is true that he may retire, I think a competent bench could reset a new diamond purchased elsewhere into your original ring.

Food for thought!

cheers--Sharon

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Very good points!

My guy will have a minor heart-attack if I bring that up though! The only reason he stretched the budget this far is so that I could finally have a JM. (and by finally I'm pretty sure he means final lol :) )

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SunnyDelta|1437771830|3907055 said:
Very good points!

My guy will have a minor heart-attack if I bring that up though! The only reason he stretched the budget this far is so that I could finally have a JM. (and by finally I'm pretty sure he means final lol :) )

Oh honey, Never say never! hehheee Happy wife, happy life! :bigsmile:

Good luck on your decision--having a JM ring is really special.

cheers--Sharon

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

Strikes me as a pretty, sunny stone, high crowns get me every time.

What does he say about it?

He is an artist, and I do doubt he'd choose something dreadful for his rings... if I wanted a James Meyer, I'd probably go for it. Best wishes and please share your ring!

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Jim says that the stone is bright and lively with lots of fire and life. He has also commented a few times on the great cut and architectural structure of the diamond.

To me (untrained eye) it does look like a nice diamond, but it's hard to tell from his studio pics. When you look at other vendor's pictures/videos like JBG you can really get an appreciation for a diamonds patterns or cut and light performance.

The stone is a little deep @ 67.1% and very warm....I'm excited that's its a JM piece, but very nervous about the diamond :/

If I decide to go through with it, I will definitely post pics!

Thanks for your input :)

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

SunnyDelta|1438115125|3908453 said:
Jim says that the stone is bright and lively with lots of fire and life. He has also commented a few times on the great cut and architectural structure of the diamond.

To me (untrained eye) it does look like a nice diamond, but it's hard to tell from his studio pics. When you look at other vendor's pictures/videos like JBG you can really get an appreciation for a diamonds patterns or cut and light performance.

The stone is a little deep @ 67.1% and very warm....I'm excited that's its a JM piece, but very nervous about the diamond :/

If I decide to go through with it, I will definitely post pics!

Thanks for your input :)

Well I like what he says about it. It definitely is warm, with warmer diamonds they seem to all have unique hues and nuance. My 2 cents is to have him ship it to you for inspection. See if you love it in person. I hope it knocks your socks off.

*edit to add: I think it is pretty as can be in the pictures. Wish we has a really straight on shot.

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

I agree that a direct head on shot would be helpful for discerning the pattern/cut and I also think more natural light pics to get an idea of the actual color. Like you said with the warmer stones there can be so many nuances and hues......I feel that you really don't know what your getting till you see it in person.
He has not offered to ship the diamond, but he has guaranteed my happiness. So I suppose if it doesn't work out I'm under no obligation to keep the ring, but I really really don't want to have something custom made just to send it back. That just feels very wrong to me.

I guess I'm just trying to muster up the courage to pull the trigger!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can you maybe share a picture of the setting that you want? That would really help us visualize the if the U-V color is enhanced by the setting. I own a very low color OMC as right hand ring, and wear it as a travel ring. I'm not very crazy about the color.

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

image_3729.jpgimage_3728.jpg

The first pic is of a ring with nearly identical proportions to the u-v oec, so this will look about right as far as the overall ring. The second picture is a completed ring Jim sent me when we were having a correspondence about the low color of the diamond and what metal colors to choose.
This is what he said about the second picture in reference to my ring......."This is a 1.72 carat cushion cut (which I set up a few years ago) diamond of "S" color as graded by EGL… and judging by the difference in grading by GIA (much harder) I would say the 1.64 is no more colorful than this. I set this up in an 18k yellow gold ring with green gold bezel and wraps."

Jim further suggested to "set this in either 18k white or yellow gold, and make the bezel and wraps in 18k green gold....I don't think any of this really changes the color of the stone but the presence of the warm color bezel makes the stone appear whiter."

So I was leaning towards a white gold band with green gold bezel & wraps...like these pictures below.
image_3731.jpgimage_3730.jpg

Thanks for the help!

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Nala, sorry to hear your not that crazy about your lower colored Diamond
That's my biggest fear :(

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That diamond is really growing on me. It's definitely not white, but it looks more like a warm light yellow than just a dull white. I'd be tempted to put it in white gold or platinum to play ups the contrast, but... Coati/Erika's warm solitaire that was set in a very rich gold (one of my dream rings) also comes to mind. Can you ask James to send you pictures with this stone nestled against various bezel options?

I suspect part of the reason you're not getting clear shots of the stone is that it is very lively.

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Hi VRBeauty,

Can you post links to the rings your referencing? I would love to see rings set with diamonds in this color range; I have looked very hard for examples, but have not found many.

Thanks!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SunnyDelta|1438183459|3908663 said:
Hi VRBeauty,

Can you post links to the rings your referencing? I would love to see rings set with diamonds in this color range; I have looked very hard for examples, but have not found many.

Thanks!

Coati/Erika's ring, "M" OEC set in 18K gold:

erikas_ring.jpg

More pictures on page 15 of this thread: http://www.pricescope.com/forum/timeless-classics/old-cut-lovers-please-sign-in-t113724-420.html

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

O my! That's a beauty! I would have no hesitation pulling the trigger on a diamond like that!

You are right about the rich gold color of the setting..... I think it compliments the stone perfectly... It makes the M color face up very white at a distance and when looking at the close up pics compliments the warm diamond's color nuances.

I wonder if I should go all gold with my setting?
I'm afraid though, that my 1.64ct U/V will not hold a candle to Coati's 3+ct M.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

I like the color of the stone-I've a fondness for the lower colors, myself. And a JM, heck yeah, that would be incredible!!

I have an AVC three stone, L center with M sides, and when I got the stones originally I had them set in a temp 14k yellow gold prong setting until I could save up for Single Stone. They looked completely different once set in all yellow-they were predominately yellow colored then. Which was fine, yellow is my favorite color! When I had them reset, I did an unplated 18k wg setting w/Single Stone, inspired by Coati's yg three stone which was also done by SS, tho hers is oec's in cushion bezels whereas mine are cushions in cushion bezels. My stones now predominately are an off white color and I rarely see them look "yellowish" now. Which totally flies in the face of every other experience and I've never understood why, but there ya go!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/m-avc-three-stone-in-yellow-gold.175160/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/m-avc-three-stone-in-yellow-gold.175160/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/packrats-avc-three-stone-and-wedding-band-by-single-stone.180821/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/packrats-avc-three-stone-and-wedding-band-by-single-stone.180821/[/URL]

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

Don't sell your diamond short. I have a feeling if we did some glamour shots she'd quite hold her own. Gah; James Meyer does amazing work, and he knows just how to set this beauty off to her best advantage. I think your ring is going to be amazing.

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Your ring is amazing packrat! I really can't decide which I like better, the yellow gold that makes the diamonds appear more yellow or the white gold that makes them appear more of a vanilla-warm tone. Your L/M AVC diamonds are like chameleons!

I think my U/V will come across as yellow no matter the conditions. For a diamond down on the lower end of the spectrum my thinking is that it's probably best to set it against a yellow tone as Jim suggested. It may make the stone appear more yellow, but to put it against a white metal would create a contrast.

I've seen some gorgeous mid-range colored diamonds (like yours) in white metals that create a stunning contrast. The mental picture that comes to mind is JBG glamour shots of the Erica winters collection (stark white metals against creamy vanilla diamonds). I have also seen some FLY diamonds in white metals that are equally breathtaking.

However, I think antique cut diamonds in the middle (s/t, u/v, w/x) are generally too yellow to pull off that "warm/vanilla look" and tend to make an odd contrast in white metals. I've seen several on these forums that just look "off" or “dingy”. They are not quite yellow enough to look like a fancy, and too warm for their white metal settings. I don’t mean to step on any toes here…... I know that there are exceptions because each diamond is unique..... I’m just speaking in generalities and to my personal taste.

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Thanks apacherose!

JM does do amazing work and I trust his eye. I just hope like you said before “It knocks my socks off”. I am very excited and nervous about this ring!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sunny Delta, just want to say that the diamond looks very bright and sparkly to my eye - and as someone else has said, James Meyer would not put an unattractive stone into one of his beautiful settings! I personally love the color of the diamond. I think you are making the right call by going with the gold. FWIW I think this ring is going to turn out beautifully and I can't wait to see it! I'm excited that you are going to get your dream setting.

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Thank you Junebug, That is very reassuring! (I LOVE your profile pic btw....just stunning)

We've decided to have the ring made. It would be safer for me to pick a diamond in the L-P color range, but I don't think Jim has anything in his inventory much over 1ct close to my budget. I've inquired a few times about other diamonds and he hasn't offered alternatives...so I guess this is it. Jim believes very strongly I will be happy with this stone and has commented repeatedly on its life, fire, and especially the cut..... so I am letting go and trusting his guidance (deep breath).

I know because of the uniqueness of this diamond that I will either "LOVE it" or "NOT LOVE it" once it arrives. I don't plan on letting it grow on me. It will either be "the one" or I will be back to the drawing board again looking for something new to fill the Jim Meyer void.

I am excruciatingly excited and nervous about this ring! I hope I am making the right decision....

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

^ will you have the right to return the ring should the diamond not please you upon receipt?

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock

Well....here are the studio pics! Unfortunately, I still have to wait a few weeks to see the ring in person because of some unexpected travel.

7_33.jpg8_24.jpg9_22.jpg10_9.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ugh I love his work.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results