shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find an Emerald Cut stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,
I found a setting that I just LOVE
30.gif
this weekend at a local jeweler and now I need to find an EC stone to go with it.

I would like to set this stone in an east-west semi-bezel platinum setting. Don''t have a pic yet of the setting, but the best description is that it''s kind of a cross between the Tiffany Etoile in the sense that it''s only a half bezel and the Tiffany Lucida Bezel in the sense that it''s meant for an east/west rectangular stone.

After reading numerous posts on the subject of proper specs for an EC, I am pretty confused. Most seemed to say that the numbers are only helpful to a certain extent and then you really should see the stone in person. I am wondering if I should even try to find a stone online or if I should just look at the local B&Ms.

ECs also seem to be pretty hard to find "in-house" at the usual on-line haunts like WF, gog, etc. so it''s hard to get good
pictures of clarity, shape, etc...

So, that being said, I''m looking in the range of at least 1ct, hopefully bigger if possible, D-G color, VS2 minimum clarity, price no more than about $5,500 (could go up to 6 if really need to but prefer to stay in the lower end of the range). I''ve already looked at some ECs in person and established that this is as low as I can go in color and clarity.

I tend to go for a slightly more square EC, in the neighborhood of between about 1.3 to 1 up to max 1.5 to 1 ratio.

I''m not sure if flourescence works the same in ECs as well as other stones, but if so I could possibly do an H color with some flour.

Any suggestions on specific stones or places that are known for beautiful ECs would be appreciated. BTW, I am in the SF Bay Area (South Bay).

Thanks!
1.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
My advice to you would be to contact either WF or GOG and tell them what you are looking for. They will begin searching for a diamond that meets your specifications. Keep in mind that either of these 2 vendors will send a diamond you are interested in to an appraiser in your area so that you can view it in person. You do not have to buy the diamond first. I would highly recommend seeing the diamond in person or at the very least getting some great pics. Both companies will describe the diamond truthfully and fully to you so that you can get a very good idea of what it looks like and then you can decide if you would like to have it sent to an appraiser. I, personally, would not go below a VS2 with an EC because of the clear facets that show inclusions easily. Also, D-G is a good color range, though I would probably avoid a "D" just because they are so much more money. Make sure to ask about an visible bow tie if you go the online route.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that you NEED to see ECs in person. I too like the fatter, shorter ECs. I think VS2 IS the min. clarity I would go with I saw an SI that had one crystal which reflected itself so you really saw it three times. To me, not a good look. I do have an I color and think it is beautiful but if your comfort zone stops at G then you should stop there. I am sure you will find your perfect EC!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I agree that you should contact a few of the jewelers here you think you can trust. I''d add Wink Jones (www.winkjones.com) to your list. He''s talked about tracking down an incredible EC once that had a nice crown height and both table/depth in the lower 60s.

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice so far.

I like the idea of having an online vendor track down a stone within my parameters, I guess I just need to actually start corresponding with an actual person to see if they can make this happen. When I look online I''m just not finding any pics of actual stones, only sample pics of the EC shape.

Is it OK to ask more than one vendor to search for stones for me? I''m a little worried that if multiple vendors find stones that the cost of having them all sent to an appraiser might get out of control for so many separate shipping charges.

Also, does anyone have an appraiser they like in the South Bay Area?

Thanks!!!!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Is it OK to ask more than one vendor to search for stones for me? I''m a little worried that if multiple vendors find stones that the cost of having them all sent to an appraiser might get out of control for so many separate shipping charges.
Yes, but I try to be upfront about it. "I''m contacting a few jewelers to see if you can help me find an EC with the following parameters..." I also wouldn''t *commit* to buying stones from more than one jeweler.

As for costs, you''re unlikely to get dozens of stones that fit your needs. Most likely you''ll find one or two that you can then pay to have sent to an appraiser if you so desire.

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
Thinking about emailing WF to start and just going from there. I just double checked with the BF that we are actually ready to make a purchase should the perfect stone be found and the good news is he said yes
1.gif

Anyway, wish me luck!

Does anyone have any other things I should beware of in an EC than the things already mentioned?

Thanks in advance...

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions strmrdr! I will look into those stones.
I''m keeping my fingers crossed for a slightly larger stone if possible, but the ones you pointed out are very nice from a quick glance.
Hard to say just yet what size vs. quality I will be able to get for the budget we are looking at.
Work has been so nuts for me lately, I haven''t been able to devote as much time to the important things like diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results