shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose -try again

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tdha

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the repeat post, this is my first time and I hit enter instead of return... Anyway, so glad to have found PS. My husband and I are looking at three round brilliant stones for an upgrade. I would love to hear what you experts think:

1)
8.15-8.17 x 5.02
F VS2
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluor: none
cutlet none

Table: 57%
crown angle: 32
pav angle: 41.6
depth 62.3

2)
8.12-8.14x5.03
I VS1
Grade Excellent
polish excellent
symmetry excellent
fluor none
cutlet none

table 52%
crown angle 35.5
pav angle 40.8
depth 61.9

3)
8.38-8.41 x 5.23
H VS2
excellent cut
excellent polish
excellent symmetry
fluor none
cutlet none

table 57%
crown angle 35
pav angle 41
depth 62.3

All three are GIA cert so if there is other info you need if I can find it on the cert I can give it to you. THANKS!!!!

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
All borderline.

#1 62.3% depth, 57% table, 32° crown angle, 41.6° pavilion angle, HCA 3.7
#2 61.9% depth, 52% table, 35.5° crown angle, 40.8° pavilion angle, HCA 2.8
#3 62.3% depth, 57% table, 35° crown angle, 41° pavilion angle, HCA 2.4

Of the 3, I will prefer #3. Any IS available?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to Pricescope,

We really need Idealscope images to be able to learn more about these diamonds, the second and third diamonds might be ok but we really need the Idealscope images to be able to tell. If these diamonds are with an online vendor, can you ask them to provide these images?

tdha

Rough_Rock
What do you mean by borderline? The cut? I am new to the search. My husband was going to surprise me but I figured it out and said I want in on the choice. He is pushing me to decide out of these three because he wants to have it by Christmas. I want to pick the right stone and not rush. Can you tell me where they are going wrong?

tdha

Rough_Rock
sorry I don''t have images, I only have the GIA certs. The person he is dealing with is an independent dealer in LA.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2008 1:01:34 PM
Author: tdha
What do you mean by borderline? The cut? I am new to the search. My husband was going to surprise me but I figured it out and said I want in on the choice. He is pushing me to decide out of these three because he wants to have it by Christmas. I want to pick the right stone and not rush. Can you tell me where they are going wrong?

They are a little deep in the pavilion, the lower part of the stone. This could result in light leakage leading to a less brilliant stone. If you have to choose between the 3 of them without further info, I would go with #3.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2008 1:02:48 PM
sorry I don't have images, I only have the GIA certs. The person he is dealing with is an independent dealer in LA.

What you could do if viewing diamonds in person, order one of these Idealscopes for $25. That way you can use it to look at diamonds in person and this will help you see how well the diamonds are cut by revealing light leakage if applicable. They are relatively simple to use, and here is a chart you can use to interpret the images.

Idealscope - http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=2&ShowAdd=Y

Reference chart - http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_reference_chart.asp

With the first diamond you are considering, it has a steep pavilion angle which less desirable than a shallower one. The third diamond could be a good diamond, but the angles are sitting around what we call steep deep range which means it could leak light. GIA round the numbers so depending on which way the angles are rounded, it is possible the diamond could show light leakage, an Idealscope would help with this, if you look at the reference chart you will see how leakage shows on IS. However if the angles are rounded towards the shallower ends then it could be perfectly fine. Same with the second diamond, it has a small table which could be ok, but it is borderline steep deep, so Idealscope will tell you more. GIA Excellent cut grade is wide and can allow for some less desirable combos such as steep deeps to receive the Ex cut grade, and these aren't always the best performers.

If you want to look for some more diamonds, then you can use these numbers as a guide.

depth - 60 - 62% - although my personal preference is to allow up to 62.4%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond - eyeballs, Idealscope, trusted vendor input - check as appropriate!

And further advice on angles from one of our experts John Pollard.

"As the above implies, configurations depend on each other. A little give here can still work with a little take there.

With that said, here's a "Cliff's Notes" for staying near Tolkowsky/ideal angles with GIA reports (their numbers are rounded): A crown angle of 34.0, 34.5 or 35.0 is usually safe with a 40.8 pavilion angle. If pavilion angle = 40.6 lean toward a 34.5-35.0 crown. If pavilion angle = 41 lean toward a 34.0-34.5 crown.

GIA "EX" in cut is great at its heart, but it ranges a bit wider than some people prefer, particularly in deep combinations (pavilion > 41 with crown > 35)."

tdha

Rough_Rock
Lorelei and Stone Cold thanks for your input. This is all so confusing. Can you tell me what you think of this one:

round
8.43-8.46 x 5.18
H VS2
cut excellent
polish very good
symmetry excellent
faint fluor
61.3% depth, 56% table, 34.5° crown angle, 40.8° pavilion angle
H&A

It was a beautiful stone. However, looking at it (not mounted) next to my straight bar tiffany eternity band (g-h color) it looks a little warm to me. The jeweler assures me once set the difference will disappear. Thoughts?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2008 6:38:08 PM
Lorelei and Stone Cold thanks for your input. This is all so confusing. Can you tell me what you think of this one:

round
8.43-8.46 x 5.18
H VS2
cut excellent
polish very good
symmetry excellent
faint fluor
H&A

It was a beautiful stone. However, looking at it (not mounted) next to my straight bar tiffany eternity band (g-h color) it looks a little warm to me. The jeweler assures me once set the difference will disappear. Thoughts?
This one has absolutely perfect numbers/stats, every one of them!
36.gif

For many, H would be fine. The larger the stone though, the more noticeable color/warmth will become. What I would suggest doing, is to look at it again, all by itself. See if the jeweler has an empty setting he could drop in in to help you see a better representation of it mounted in a ring. That will give you a better idea, see what you think.
28.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2008 6:38:08 PM

round
8.43-8.46 x 5.18
H VS2
cut excellent
polish very good
symmetry excellent
faint fluor
H&A

GIA ?? this one looks like thee best of the group.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2008 7:35:31 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
GIA ?? this one looks like thee best of the group.
Good question, though I assumed so with the crown/pavilion angles, plus the other ones were. But good to ask anyway.

tdha

Rough_Rock
Yes, the last is GIA as well. I think we are going to take the plunge with this one. The jeweler agreed if we set it and I still don''t feel comfortable with the color he will find us higher color grade. I am very nervous as this is a big purchase for us and I want it to be just right! Thank you for your input. This site is awesome.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2008 9:03:25 PM
Yes, the last is GIA as well. I think we are going to take the plunge with this one. The jeweler agreed if we set it and I still don''t feel comfortable with the color he will find us higher color grade. I am very nervous as this is a big purchase for us and I want it to be just right! Thank you for your input. This site is awesome.
As long as he''s willing to do that, I say go for it! You might be surprised at what you see, or rather, don''t see.
2.gif

Now, try to relax and enjoy the process, this should be fun.
5.gif
And please come back and show us the finished product if you can, we love looking at new pretties!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results