shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Choose - GOG Chunky Cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
This is a surprise to my GF so she hasn't seen them. I take that back, she did see the G VS2 in one of Rhino's videos - this is what made her come to love the GOG Chunky Cushions. Anyways, it's down to these two diamonds. Which would you choose and why? I don't know if she prefers a square cushion or not. I do know, however, that size isn't as big of an issue as getting a diamond that looks good (clear/colorless to the naked eye). She doesn't want a warm diamond. She likes "sparkle." Also, this will be going with the Tacori 2620 setting.

1.07 G VS2

1.15 H SI1

Please help me out ...

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
BF likes the G, I like the H. I don''t think you can go wrong either way - they are both beauties
19.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree...you can''t go wrong with either one! The H stone is closer to the size of a round 1 ct. stone, though, so I might pick it because of the size.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Either stone will be beautiful. My opinion the H, it''s larger and the pol/sym are better. Ask Jon to do a side by side comparison.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t really steer you either way, but I think both stones are lovely and she''ll be thrilled!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
On clarity/color/carat alone, I say G VS2 (since the size difference is pretty negligible). BUT after seeing the images, I like the H better. Sorry I can''t be of more help!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
For me there wouldn''t be a concern over the larger culet, but each to their own. As DS said the measurements are slightly bigger on the H so closer to that of a 1ct round.

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Both diamonds are beautiful - all I can say is either of those cushions in a tacori 2620 will be to die for! please post lots of pics when u get them!

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 9:56:20 PM
Author: chamois
For me there wouldn''t be a concern over the larger culet, but each to their own. As DS said the measurements are slightly bigger on the H so closer to that of a 1ct round.

Why do people worry about the size of the culet? I''ve heard it mentioned before but haven''t really seend an exmplanation.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not an expert, I think it''s to do with light leakage, hopefully, an expert can chime in and explain better than I can. If you are at all concerned about the colour H, have a look at the colour comparison video Jon (Goodoldgold) did.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DT - you might want to look at this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-shocking-final-diamond-choice-i-gave-to-my-fiance-which-one-would-you-pick.121154/

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 8:31:28 PM
Author:diamondtiger
This is a surprise to my GF so she hasn't seen them. I take that back, she did see the G VS2 in one of Rhino's videos - this is what made her come to love the GOG Chunky Cushions. Anyways, it's down to these two diamonds. Which would you choose and why? I don't know if she prefers a square cushion or not. I do know, however, that size isn't as big of an issue as getting a diamond that looks good (clear/colorless to the naked eye). She doesn't want a warm diamond. She likes 'sparkle.' Also, this will be going with the Tacori 2620 setting.

1.07 G VS2

1.15 H SI1

Please help me out ...
Tiger,

I have seen the 1.15 in person and returned it(we went with a bigger stone) this week so I can give you a little insight.

1) It has a big culet which means that at certain angles when kozibe effect is large it looks like a bunch of tiny holes all over, and at certain angles you will see holes the size of the culet reflected in other face of the stone.
It is a really dramatic effect and you either like it or you don't. I will post a couple more pictures of it that were taken under the microscope.
2) The stone to me was closer in colour to an I as it had more warmth than the other H cushion that I had beside it and the I master CZ we were comparing it to. The appraisor I was working with graded it as an I, ask Jonathan to take a look he will give you his honest opinion. Some GIA labs grade colour a little more relaxed than others.
3) Its bigger than the G and you will notice that and its also almost a perfect square. The G is smaller faceup and more rectangular.
4) I love symmetry especially under the table and if you look at the windmill (the maltese cross) in this H it is as perfect as you can get. The G being rectangular and having a smaller culet does not have this perfect symmetry in the windmill.
5) The ASET of the G shows some blue areas indicative of a light bit of observer blockage. This means that those areas may not be as bright whereas in the H the whole winmill under the table is really bright red under the ASET.
When I looked at it in real life I could see bright flashes of light and the perfect shape of all 4 parts of the cross this was very appealing to me.
6) The H has a very thin girdle which might chip or crack so please check with Jon about the safety of this stone in the Tacori setting you are getting. I am not sure how exposed this stone is given that the halo is slightly below the girdle in the tacori setting.

Overall for optics I'd say maybe the best thing for you to do is get Jonathan to do a video and decide for yourself.
These stones are quite similar and you can't go wrong with either. But I would say the most important factor might be the colour and since the Tacori melee is G you might be safer going with the G.

115Hkozibe.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Showing the inclusions. Its eye clean but of course under about 40X magnification you can see them.

115Hinclusions.jpg

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
I posted these in another thread but they should belong here as they are the two diamonds in question.

Which one would you choose and why?

DayLighting1.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Again, I''d want a video to say.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in no way an expert. I responded in your other thread and told you my preference, but wanted to add that the one on the right appeals to my eyes more regardless of the reasons I gave you. Am going out on a limb here but think it''s the H !

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That kozibe looks very obvious, and it sounds like this H stone faces up much warmer than what you wanted IIRC?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the one on the right, I like a more symetrical square ish proportion and I think its the H?

diamondtiger

Shiny_Rock
The one on the right is the H ... And a video is in the works and should be up sometime tonight.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
dt, here''s an important question. What does your girl consider "lower" color and clarity? I''m just thinking back to what she said....

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
In your pictures, my eye is more drawn to the one on the right. I think the shape has a lot to do with that. Both will sparkle like crazy, and an H shouldn''t really appear warm to the naked eye when set.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 2:48:03 PM
Author: diamondtiger
The one on the right is the H ... And a video is in the works and should be up sometime tonight.
Tiger,

would want to see these in natural lighting by the window or even outside, I find the GIA diamond dock although controlled and good for comparing the optics of stones, the full beauty can only be seen in natural lighting or outside.

Jon is a wiz with videos this will be a fun comparison. Maybe if he could put a white piece of paper behind them and show you a body shot you could see the difference in color.
Already in the side by side shot you notice the size difference and the more symmetrical nature of the H.

Good-Luck,

CCL

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one on the right appeals more to me too. Looking forward to the video!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results