shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding between two radiants...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dave0311

Rough_Rock
Ok, let me start by saying I have limited my search to radiants. I like both the square and rectangle and cant decide between each.

I visited a B&M store in which my girlfriend was shown a wide variety of stones, including I1''s. She stated that she couldnt even see the inclusions with me pointing them out to her with a loup, and that if she cant see it, then clarity is not an issue.

Links are at the bottom! I dont know why it keeps doing that...

Diamond #1

I
I1
Premium cut
Polish: very good
Symmetry: very good
Girdle: slightly thick to thick
Flu: none
Depth: 71.4
Table: 69
Measurements: 6.17 x 5.45 x 3.89

Diamond #2

J
SI2
Ideal cut
Polish: very good
Symmetry: good
Girdle: slightly thick to thick
Flu: none
Depth 68.6
Table 61
Measurement: 5.5 x 5.47 x 3.75

Diamond #1 is slightly larger and I believe comes across as noticeably whiter for only being a difference of one color grade. It also has a feather on the edge of the stone which i am told is hidden well and is only noticeable if you know it''s there.

Diamond #2 has more color, but more sparkle. It''s also almost perfectly square and is 100% eye clean.

The person I''ve been chatting w/ at JA told me that each would look great in a white setting. I''m going with a white gold 2mm knife edge solitare and she has a size 5.5 finger.

I''ve been lurking for about a month in search for the right stone. I''m limited by budget since I''m just out of college, but I''m ready to take the leap (my budget disagrees

Keep in mind that I''m trying to squeeze the most size out of my budget and still get a great looking diamond. What does the wisdom of the forum think?

are one of these my diamond?http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-I1-Premium-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1164230.asphttp://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1144065.asp

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Radiants really need to be seen. Can you get pictures of them?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2008 9:00:22 PM
Author: dave0311
yes, JA has pictures but I''m unsure of how to download them then post them. Here are the links:

diamond #1

diamond #2

I hope that worked.
Welcome Dave,

From the pics I personally prefer the second one, also the first is I1 clarity and there is a fair chance it may not be eyeclean. What you would need to do is ask your rep at JA if either of these diamonds are eyeclean in fact, and if they can supply you with more pics and an Idealscope image? This would tell us more.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the points Lorelei made and of the two stones you posted, like the looks of the second stone best . I wonder if your GF has seen radiants in I and J? I''m personally really color sensitive and noticed warmth starting at H in the radiants I looked at, so it made me wonder if she has a preference that way.

Radiants are tricky to pick out, but are certainly worth the effort! Good luck.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2008 8:15:27 AM
Author: girlie-girl
I agree with the points Lorelei made and of the two stones you posted, like the looks of the second stone best . I wonder if your GF has seen radiants in I and J? I''m personally really color sensitive and noticed warmth starting at H in the radiants I looked at, so it made me wonder if she has a preference that way.

Radiants are tricky to pick out, but are certainly worth the effort! Good luck.
1.gif
That is an excellent point and one well worth mentioning, radiants can show more warmth than some other shapes, this is the reason so many fancy coloured diamonds end up as radiants. So it might be worth viewing some similar size and lab graded radiants in person to be sure, but JA do have a good return policy so you are covered.

dave0311

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the replies thus far!

It seems like most of you share my concerns.

Does everyone think that stone #1 would be better if the inclusion was not eye visible?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2008 9:29:35 AM

Does everyone think that stone #1 would be better if the inclusion was not eye visible?
Ask the staff at JA if the inclusion is eye visible so you know for sure, if so they might be able to suggest some other radiants you might like.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2008 9:54:14 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 11/20/2008 9:29:35 AM

Ask the staff at JA if the inclusion is eye visible so you know for sure, if so they might be able to suggest some other radiants you might like.
HI:

Agreed...and I also second the color on the radiant--I would not go below an H. I can see body color in mine.

cheers--Sharon

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Disregarding the color issue, the 2nd stone seems to have more "life" to it. I see some dead looking spots on the picture of the first. It really depends on your GF. Personally, I''d rather have a livelier stone even if it is slightly smaller.

Have you seen these in person? Is there anyway James Allen would ship them both to a jeweler close to you to take a look at them?

I have a radiant myself and have found that its really tough to tell what the stones were truly like without seeing them in person.

dave0311

Rough_Rock
Yes, the second stone definitely seems to have more life. It''s rated as "Ideal" (i''ve heard GIA doesnt classify stones that way and I''ve heard JA''s cut classifications are sometimes sketchy; however, with their radiants, you can definitely tell the difference between a stone they have as premium, and one they have as ideal)

Thanks for the advise thus far. I''ve had a JA saleswoman look at the I1 stone, and she has told me that you can only see the feather if you know it''s there.

I''m leaning towards ordering the stone, then perhaps shipping it back if it''s something I cant get over.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts thus far!

Anyone here have an H, I, or J radiant that has an opinion?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2008 3:59:42 PM
Yes, the second stone definitely seems to have more life. It''s rated as ''Ideal'' (i''ve heard GIA doesnt classify stones that way and I''ve heard JA''s cut classifications are sometimes sketchy; however, with their radiants, you can definitely tell the difference between a stone they have as premium, and one they have as ideal)

Thanks for the advise thus far. I''ve had a JA saleswoman look at the I1 stone, and she has told me that you can only see the feather if you know it''s there.

I''m leaning towards ordering the stone, then perhaps shipping it back if it''s something I cant get over.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts thus far!

Anyone here have an H, I, or J radiant that has an opinion?
Kcoursolle or Coda might see this, they both have radiants and can give you their thoughts!

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I've given input as I also have a radiant, but it's an E so I'm probably not much help. Because I am color sensitive, as I stated before, I've not seen anything below an H in person. Some people see color/warmth easier than others and still others prefer this color/warmth. Do you know how your gf feels about it? If she likes icy white stones, a radiant in this range might not work for her.

Good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2008 9:57:00 AM
Thanks girlie girl and lorelei!
You are most welcome! If there is anything further we can help with, just let us know
35.gif

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
You're welcome. Good luck choosing and I hope you love the radiant you end up picking. They're such lively stones with such unique personalities that no two are truly the same!
9.gif

Keep us posted!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have an F colored radiant, and it has no hint of color to it at all. As Lorelei already said though, radiants can sometimes show more color. I have seen an H in person and there was a definite hint of color. I would imagine an I or J would be even more pronounced. So for me personally, I would go no lower in color than H. But that is just my opinion.

dave0311

Rough_Rock
UPDATE:

I made my purchase!

I went w/ a 1.1 I I1 Premium cut diamond and it looks better in person than I could have hoped for. The feather in the stone is totally eye clean and the slight yellow tint in the color can only be seen under fluorescent lighting!

I''m excited. Pictures will be posted shortly.

The proposal is scheduled for NYE in Atlanta.

Thanks for all the help everyone! This site has really helped me to make a MUCH more informed decision, and saved me a quite a bit of money as well.

I''ll post some pics as soon as I can.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2008 12:19:41 PM
UPDATE:

I made my purchase!

I went w/ a 1.1 I I1 Premium cut diamond and it looks better in person than I could have hoped for. The feather in the stone is totally eye clean and the slight yellow tint in the color can only be seen under fluorescent lighting!

I'm excited. Pictures will be posted shortly.

The proposal is scheduled for NYE in Atlanta.

Thanks for all the help everyone! This site has really helped me to make a MUCH more informed decision, and saved me a quite a bit of money as well.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can.
Many congrats to you and I am so glad we were of real help to you!!

Looking forward to the pics and best of luck with the proposal!
35.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your purchase!

Sorry I didn''t chime in earlier, I am a radiant lover! It would have been a hard decision for me as both have advantages and disadvantages over eachother. Both are lovely and an excellent value for the money. The I1 inclusion in the first stone doesn''t look too bad and some of it will be covered (and protected) by a prong. The second stone has a smaller table which I like, but the J color for me personally is a bit too low in a radiant. As coda mentioned, color definitely starts to show in radiants more than rounds as you move down below H. I color will look generally fine in most lighting and will appear white, but you will be able to probably tell a slight difference when compared to a F diamond, especially if it''s a well-cut round.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results