shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! 1.68 OEC needs setting ideas! Antique/vintage/repro

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lucky me! With the expert guidance of one of our very own PS resident experts on OEC's, Dreamer, I managed to find a perfect OEC for myself! I wanted a lower colour stone, of a decent size and good cut/faceting and clarity, and I thank Dreamer's eagle eyes and eBay skills for finding a beautiful stone! :appl: Dreamer and thank you for your patience! It was shown set in a RG halo setting and when asked, the vendor was willing to sell the stone separate from the setting. The stone arrived and I had it appraised as the faceting pics on the listing did not seem to match all the photos, and it appeared much lower in colour than was shown.

Appraiser ranked as 1.68 cts, 7.59 x 7.46 x 4.60mm, VS2 clarity, good cut, medium girdle. I looked at it under his 30X GIA microscope and to my eyes, it appeared very clean. He said it has an extra facet to offset an inclusion.

The colouring is white on my hand and in direct sunlight, but you can definitely see the yellow tint from the side and bottom... which is fine with me! That's what I wanted - more of a creamy tapioca pudding colour, than a bright white diamond, because I already have that - this was to be a different look.

The intent is to wear as a RHR but I could switch and use it as an ering alternate from my BGD princess 3 stone. Since it is NOT going to be an ering, my budget for setting is limited. If my lottery win comes thru tonight, I'm all over VC, SK or LM, but if not, then its back to budgetary restrictions.

I definitely lean to more contemporary styles so this is out of my design zone. I really am all over the place with setting ideas, so thought I'd call out for PS suggestions.

Yes's:
WG (Maaaaaaaybe RG?)
unplated WG is an option
pave side stones
milgrain
6 prongs preferred
size 7.75
not a big donut so I could flip between hands and still wear it with my IDJ 1/2 eternity
not overly "engagement-y" looking - it is not an engagement ring so I prefer something with a bit of substance
$1000-ish
try on when in NYC end of October, at one of the PS vendors in the Diamond District

No's:
over budget!
YG
basket setting - prefer not to have a heavy bridge look

What I've learned about myself while searching ideas:
I can not be trusted!! :rodent: I say no filigree - I'm all over filigree! I say no pave - I can't get enough pave! So I've learned --- never say no to any idea! I want the stone and the setting to work together, so as much as I'm drawn to modern designs, I'm thinking I should be truer to the diamond and expand my horizons.

These are the ones from LJN I've got prices for from Winona, and the one I really REALLY REALLY wanted - my diamond is too big for (WHAT??? who ever has a diamond that is "too big"??? :lol: ):
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3524 #3143-01, NSEW prongs
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3814 #1003-25, pave split prong
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3760 #3057-02, "crown" and can not be lowered

From GabrielNY:
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7431W44JJ - love the curly cues, more contemporary
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER8021W44JJ - love that 'collar' and the milgrain
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7448W44JJ - love the knife edge and milgraining... over budget - rats!

Adiamor had a beautiful RG, 6 prong, knife edge solitiare, but I have eliminated it as I don't know who carries it in NYC, but this was it:
http://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Pave/Pave-Knife-Edge-Engagement-Setting-25mm/1009

Any input on the quality of these settings would be very welcome!

Here are a few diamond pics --- I got a bajillion of them!!

img_0928.jpg

img_0941.jpg

img_0953.jpg

img_0956.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help! 1.68 OEC needs setting ideas! Antique/vintage/repr

OMG Enerchi! :appl: :appl: I'm so happy for you! It's so lovely! I love love LOVE :love: the photos that you took! The kozibe effect is shown off so beautifully!

I'm no help with the setting choices, but I love the 2nd and 3rd option from LJN! I'll post if I find any options ;-)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260748180673?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I love this one and it's an awesome, awesome price. The seller was experimenting :confused: with wg instead of platinum, and only made this one, and will not make any more wg settings. I love it. I can only imagine how much MORE beautiful it will get when the rhodium fades :lickout: I wish I can buy it!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

madelise|1348866509|3276154 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260748180673?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I love this one and it's an awesome, awesome price. The seller was experimenting :confused: with wg instead of platinum, and only made this one, and will not make any more wg settings. I love it. I can only imagine how much MORE beautiful it will get when the rhodium fades :lickout: I wish I can buy it!

ooooooh!!! Love that crown look!!! Thanks - I like this! lots of sparkle - and I love me some sparkle :naughty:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

:wavey: Gypsy! I have to say, that's probably the style I'm leaning to the most at this point... but as we both know... I'm not too trustworthy when it comes to saying what I like and don't like --- then what I chose as options! :lol:

Cookie - wow! IN LOVE with #2 option from crossfire!! It says up to 1ct tho.... :(( They have some pretty nice styles - thanks for the links!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi, can't help with settings, but your diamond is amazing! So gorgeous, and those colors coming off it are unreal!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

WOW! Enerchi- that's going to be one fabu ring! I like the crown one you posted from LJN best. It's probably just me, but I don't like modern style settings with old cuts at all. I think it takes away from their charm and makes them look lonely.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock

Enerchi|1348871017|3276189 said:
:wavey: Gypsy! I have to say, that's probably the style I'm leaning to the most at this point... but as we both know... I'm not too trustworthy when it comes to saying what I like and don't like --- then what I chose as options! :lol:

Cookie - wow! IN LOVE with #2 option from crossfire!! It says up to 1ct tho.... :(( They have some pretty nice styles - thanks for the links!

Enerchi - they might be able to customize #2 to fit your stone. Cross Jewelers does do custom work. ;))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats on the stone and help from the resident oec guru! Tell us what color the stone appraised at - would you consider a halo for the ring?

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Congrats on your new beautiful stone, how exciting! I really like all of the antiqueengagementrings options. The second one with split prongs is my favorite.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

armywife13|1348872433|3276208 said:
Mayk|1348868611|3276173 said:
Gypsy|1348867118|3276158 said:

+1 Enerchi!!!! So excited for you!!!! Yeah.. and it's beautiful... whoo hoooooo!!!!!
This baby gets my vote, too!

Congrats on the amazing OEC!!!!! :love: :love: :love: I am so freakin excited for you!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Another vote for this setting. I am so excited for you Enerchi!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: this year has been a blingstravaganza for you :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am excited for you, too, Enerchi! Your diamond is beautiful! :love: :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

MissGotRocks|1348873999|3276220 said:
Congrats on the stone and help from the resident oec guru! Tell us what color the stone appraised at - would you consider a halo for the ring?

OOOPS!!! I'm so sorry - I forgot that little tidbit... oops!!
It was for sale as an M, VS1 and when it arrived and I took photos, there was no way that was an M - GIA or EGL. That was ok though because I wanted a lower colour right from the start. When it was appraised, they had an OEC, GIA O/P on site and this was definitely much 'yellower' than that stone. The GG gave it a Q/R.

I'm very happy with the stone and really like the idea of contrast in the setting between brighter F/G/H melee and the older stone colour of Q/R, if I decide on a setting with side stones/halo/accents. I'm open to all ideas! A halo was what I started out with but then the ones I was looking at were too contemporary.

Happy to see any options you think may work - I'm outta my box here, so anything is worth considering! (provided it is within the appropriate vintage range that would suit the stone) :bigsmile:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Bella_mezzo|1348878742|3276248 said:
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: this year has been a blingstravaganza for you :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

LMAO!!! Yes indeed, this has been quite the jewelry year for me!!! This is NOT normal! I have always loved jewelry and lusted after all kinds of things, but never really purchased 'significant' pieces for myself (or received as gifts!) so this was a pretty out of character year! I'm not going to say I'll never be buying anything again, but I think 2013 is going to have to be a less blingy year.... ;(

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank you all so much for your enthusiasm KimN, Armywife, Bastecat, Alene, Yennyfire and DS!! It is so fun to share good things with people who enjoy them as much as I do, and can appreciate the joy and fun of finding 'the perfect' diamond or setting!

Thank you for being so excited along with me :D :appl: :D Please feel free to add any ideas for settings, as you cruise the internet! I am hoping to have it set when I'm in NYC at the end of October. I already have a 'play date' booked with Winona at LJN!!!! Yippee!!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

I am soooooo excited ( and a wee bit jealous too :tongue: ) for you!!!

I love your new sparkly!! She is a beauty!! :love: :love: :love:

I cannot wait to see how she is going to look once you find her a perfect home.

I am going to enjoy your journey, with you!!

:wavey:

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock

What a beautiful stone :appl: :appl: :appl: !! You're such a lovey poster, always giving positive advice I too am going to follow your setting journey with excitement!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cuz I love her so much and am a proud mama who wants to parade her little baby around.... ;-)

img_0931.jpg

img_0949.jpg

img_0952.jpg

img_0965.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

Ok, so I just took a look at http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3760 and I think my heart gave away! THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!
AND uhhhhhhh HELLLOOOOOO there Miss Thang! I never even knew you were looking for an OEC! The pics of the Kozibe is amahhhzing! Congrats on finding your diamond!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations on your gorgeous find! Very happy for you =)
My vote goes to the first LJN setting: http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3524
I love NSEW prongs and think they look fab with antique stones, like Junebugs ring. If I add an OEC to my
collection in the future that's the type of setting I would chose.
Like you, I tend to prefer modern looks but love a little art deco twist.
Can't wait to see what you pick.
When will you be in NYC? DH & I are going mid October. Maybe I'll start a thread in hangout about that.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I am dreaming about diamond settings!!! I fell asleep thinking about the LJN settings... then the Adiamor RG one pops in and I feel guilty that I've eliminated it... then a page in my brain's computer (!) flips to DBL type designs and I go all gaga in my dreams about something from there....

Halos!

3 stones!

solitaire!

ARGH! This is no easy task! who knew? oh wait ---what am I saying!! WE ALL KNEW it would be hard to pick a setting, but fun fun fun :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

YayTacori|1348895017|3276343 said:
Ok, so I just took a look at http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3760 and I think my heart gave away! THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!
AND uhhhhhhh HELLLOOOOOO there Miss Thang! I never even knew you were looking for an OEC! The pics of the Kozibe is amahhhzing! Congrats on finding your diamond!

This made me laugh out loud and woke up my DH beside me! :lol: Thanks YayTacori!

Looking at all the temptations that PS has to offer, and really wishing I had a solitaire in my collection, got me vaguely hungering for something ---a nameless something, but there was a niggling 'something' out there. I did Gypsy's quiz and then read/re-read/internalized/thought about her suggestions and feedback, as to what I wanted if I were to purchase another piece of gorgeous jewelry for myself. I decided that as much as I adore 3 or 5 or 7 stone rings, I have 2 (ya, not OTT but still, I *do* have 2!) so narrowed down that an older cut was appealing. I was originally open to AVC, AVR, OMC, antique Cushions, OEC's --- anything that would give me chunks not flashes. After hours of labour intensive PS thread reviews (oh, the sheer horror of having to look at diamonds.... :roll: ) the OEC's were the winners!

I love her and have a ring holder thingamajig that I have her sitting in, which I'll put on if I'm going to be in one spot for a period of time. I'm too nervous to actually try 'wearing' that outside of my home.

I have pics of those--- I'll post when I download to the computer!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results