shape
carat
color
clarity

heirloom: where to buy. Tiffany, Graff, HW

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
okay this sort of carries forward from the Tiffany thread earlier. If you wanted to buy an E-Ring or Eternity band and you not only wanted the very best stones and the added value of the name what do you do? in the end..it would seem that rings and such signed T & co etc have a higher long term value due to their "provenance"

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author:windowshopper
..it would seem that rings and such signed T & co etc have a higher long term value due to their ''provenance''
I think this is really true. Signed period/antique jewelry always command higher prices than their unsigned equivalents. Even modern "formerly owned" stuff seems to hold its value better and is certainlly easier to sell. They seem to move pretty fast at Signed Pieces, Pearlman''s, etc.

I suspect that any higher end signature would help, but probably the ''big guns" are T&Co, Cartier, VCA, HW (not necessarily in that order..)

JMO
widget

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
okay--so lets say you could pick between a 2 carat rb of superb quality in a generic platinum setting or a 2 carat of vey good but not great quality in a VCA or T & co.................

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every time I a signed engagement ring priced a hair above the cost of the diamonds in them at an estate sale, I think of the first buyer who paid the rent for spending time with the bauble between the shop's door and the estate sale shelf.
12.gif
Was it worth it for them? 'Bet it was.

Is there any difference between 'heirloom' and 'investment'?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 1:30:24 AM
Author: valeria101

Every time I a signed engagement ring priced a hair above the cost of the diamonds in them at an estate sale, I think of the first buyer who paid the rent for spending time with the bauble between the shop''s door and the estate sale shelf.
12.gif
Was it worth it for them? ''Bet it was.

Is there any difference between ''heirloom'' and ''investment''?
good point Anna--maybe it wasnt afterall. OR is it really only a hair more?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2006 11:34:19 PM
Author: windowshopper
okay--so lets say you could pick between a 2 carat rb of superb quality in a generic platinum setting or a 2 carat of vey good but not great quality in a VCA or T & co.................

I think it totally depends if the name and what it represents is important to you. If I could pick, I''d take the ideal generic 2 carat but that''s because I never dreamed of owning a ring from Tiffany''s as a little girl, not even after I saw the movie
3.gif
But I can see how someone who has always dreamed of Tiffany''s would choose the Tiffany ring hands down. If hubby decided to suprise me with a 2 carat ring from Tiffany''s I surely would not reject it
1.gif
And if resale is in the equation, a do believe you can sell a brand name for a better price, a lot quicker than a generic stone
1.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
If I wanted a unique and magnificent piece of jewelry of heirloom quailty, I would go to Fred Leighton, Hollis Reh or Edith Weber. They carry the older unique, custom designed pieces that Cartier, Van Cleef, Tiffany and Harry Winston were known for. Their prices are high but you are getting rare and unusual pieces that are not made any more.

As to new pieces bought at Tiffany, etc., they may have a slightly better resale value but you will have paid so much more in the first place and the present styles are far from unique.

Jewelry, for the most part, is not a good investment but if anything is going to hold its value and be treasured as an heirloom, It is the exquisite older pieces by famous makers.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 8:24:51 AM
Author: mrssalvo

I think it totally depends if the name and what it represents is important to you. If I could pick, I''d take the ideal generic 2 carat but that''s because I never dreamed of owning a ring from Tiffany''s as a little girl, not even after I saw the movie
3.gif
But I can see how someone who has always dreamed of Tiffany''s would choose the Tiffany ring hands down. If hubby decided to suprise me with a 2 carat ring from Tiffany''s I surely would not reject it
1.gif
And if resale is in the equation, a do believe you can sell a brand name for a better price, a lot quicker than a generic stone
1.gif
yes it is interesting: i would never buy an e-ring or studs or anything that was simply stones--say even a diamond pendant. However, what I am considering is an eternity band that is very elaborate with multi colored stones in a fabulous design. I dont think I can find anything comparable for less or much less. Those type of pieces require a lot of labor (not just setting 23 rounds ina channel) --my dilemma is that I love this piece. I think its crazy $$$ but I dont think I can acquire anything comparable--for any less and certainly not the same

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Edith Weber is on Madison Avenue. Hollis Reh is in Southhampton, N.Y.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
It''s all about what matters to you.

When the ring is on your finger, no one else will know where your ring was bought from. I personally would want the most bling for my $

However, if the name ''Tiffany & Co'' matters to you, and you are buying your ring as a long term investment, then that''s the route to go.

Personal preference!

35.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Ok....here's another question:

If you had a BF with a $10,000 budget who absolutely INSISTED on finding and buying your engagement ring with no input or direction from you....who knows little or nothing about diamonds/jewelry, would you rather he go to Tiffany's, or just turn him loose?

widget

ETA:
Windowshopper: I just saw your post! What are you considering/dreaming about? You can bet you'll get no discouragement from me!
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
WindowShopper, I am a firm believer if you find a designer piece you love, it's best to just pay the premium and get it. There are certain desinger rings I love and similar would not cut it for me. I have even tried getting something "close' to what I want and was never happy and ended up spending more in the long run. Plus, many times with custom, things change,even slightly, and if you think you'd be unhappy with any modifications, I'd say get the real deal. If I was going to buy a tiffany, I'd at least want it to be something that truly is unique to Tiffany, like the eternity band you described, or the Lucida or something.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I'd go for the VCA or T&Co....I'm confident that the quality of the diamond would be good enough to please me or just about anyone else...except perhaps for a few PSers!...
1.gif

widget

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Hey WS,

I faced a similar dilemma and I chose the Tiffany and Co. route. I fell in love with the ring attached and wanted it for my e-ring. I knew it was a lot of money, and thought it was probable that I could have it replicated. One thing that really set me in my tracks was the violation of copyright, sure I could find someone who could rip it off, but that is also how I would have felt wearing it. After all, this ring is not a solitaire, or a simple channel band, the design is quite intricate. I also took into consideration the workmanship, and man! the *colour* of the aquamarine. I have had it for two years in June and I still adore it. I doubt that I would pay Tiffany money for a solitaire, but who can say never?

I saw your post in the other Tiffany thread and you mentioned that the ring you are considering has coloured stones in it? If that is the case, I would DEFINITELY go with the TCO ring, as it would be a hard feat to find such beautiful coloured stones without a great deal of hassle (unless you have a source for fine gems already).

My opinion : )

I wish you well,

Bridget

VICTORIA01.jpg

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 9:23:38 AM
Author: widget
Ok....here''s another question:

If you had a BF with a $10,000 budget who absolutely INSISTED on finding and buying your engagement ring with no input or direction from you....who knows little or nothing about diamonds/jewelry, would you rather he go to Tiffany''s, or just turn him loose?

widget

ETA:
Windowshopper: I just saw your post! What are you considering/dreaming about? You can bet you''ll get no discouragement from me!
1.gif
Widget: great question --i would definitely go with T & co. You would be guaranteed a minimum of very good quality with an upgrade guaranteed. Turning him loose would be a disaster

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Windowshopper,
In your case, I do not get the impression that the Tiffany name is the deciding factor. If this is the ring of your dreams, you will not be happy with anything else. I''m familiar with it and it is gorgeous. You may not find anything comparable and having someone try to imitate it may lead to frustration.

If you have looked around and not found anything comparable, then you should go ahead and buy it. I would not count on it as an investment A ring like this would probably be hard to resell because it cannot be resized and I doubt that it is one of a kind.

But sometimes, if you really love something and are obsessing over it, the memory of it will linger and nothing else will do. I hope you get it and that it brings you great pleasure.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Bridget, Widget Mrs Salvo:

Thanks --I am feeling better about my possible purchase. It is a wide (maybe about 3/4" wide) platinum "eternity" ( all the way aound design) band : the outer edges are rimmed with a row of maybe 1 pointers or so, the interior is a repeating design of a circular pattern slightly floral feeling (but not specifically flowers) comprised of sapphires, emeralds and diamonds. dont know the era represented but sort of a cross between deco and edwardian (in my opinion)

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 9:40:48 AM
Author: Bridget S.
Hey WS,

I faced a similar dilemma and I chose the Tiffany and Co. route. I fell in love with the ring attached and wanted it for my e-ring. I knew it was a lot of money, and thought it was probable that I could have it replicated. One thing that really set me in my tracks was the violation of copyright, sure I could find someone who could rip it off, but that is also how I would have felt wearing it. After all, this ring is not a solitaire, or a simple channel band, the design is quite intricate. I also took into consideration the workmanship, and man! the *colour* of the aquamarine. I have had it for two years in June and I still adore it. I doubt that I would pay Tiffany money for a solitaire, but who can say never?

I saw your post in the other Tiffany thread and you mentioned that the ring you are considering has coloured stones in it? If that is the case, I would DEFINITELY go with the TCO ring, as it would be a hard feat to find such beautiful coloured stones without a great deal of hassle (unless you have a source for fine gems already).

My opinion : )

I wish you well,

Bridget
Bridget --GORGEOUS VICTORIA RING!

widget

Ideal_Rock
WS...it sounds fabulous...I''m heading over to their website right now to look...hope it''s there!!
3.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 9:41:37 AM
Author: solange
Windowshopper,
In your case, I do not get the impression that the Tiffany name is the deciding factor. If this is the ring of your dreams, you will not be happy with anything else. I'm familiar with it and it is gorgeous. You may not find anything comparable and having someone try to imitate it may lead to frustration.

If you have looked around and not found anything comparable, then you should go ahead and buy it. I would not count on it as an investment A ring like this would probably be hard to resell because it cannot be resized and I doubt that it is one of a kind.

But sometimes, if you really love something and are obsessing over it, the memory of it will linger and nothing else will do. I hope you get it and that it brings you great pleasure.
Solange: excellent points. No it is not one of a kind--maybe one of a several as opposed to thousands...I am not so naive to consider something an investment with jewelry but i like to have options and know that it will have significant value not necessarily full value--however the limitations on size do impact resale....and NO i would never try to have it imitated. And NO Tiffany & c name is not at all the deciding factor in fact i wish it were the same exact thing by anonymous and Co. for 30% less!!!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 9:51:13 AM
Author: widget
WS...it sounds fabulous...I''m heading over to their website right now to look...hope it''s there!!
3.gif
dont think it is.........the salesperson did a search as i needed a different size and there are only two in the US

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
SOLANGE:

I am guessinng you are here in Manhattan or around this area.....have you purchased any thing from Stephen Russell?

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I do not know Stephen Russell. Where is he located?
Some of my friends buy nice estate jewelry from some small shops on 47th Street. I have not done that either so there is no one I can recommend.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
WS,
It sounds like a fabulous ring. I hope you can post a pic for us to see!!!

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
WS, It sounds just lovely! I hope they have it in your size and that you post pictures! : )

I know that Tiffany gets bashed a lot, but I adore them and I find their designs just lovely. I know you pay a premium, but I do think it''s worth it. Again, not sure I would spend the money on a solitaire, but I must say that despite may solitaires being "Tiffany-esque", I often feel that they lack the fluidity and flow of an original Tiffany & Co. IMHO : )

I wish you well,

Bridget

icekid

Ideal_Rock
interesting thread!

windowshopper- I totally think you should get the ring! I don''t think it''s too often that you''ll completely fall for a piece like you seem to have for this band. (plus, I''d love to see pictures
3.gif
)

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
Hi WS,

I noticed a gorgeous Harry Winston on the Signed Pieces website under "other designers" I believe.

It''s gorgeous and looks to have really held it''s value.

Good luck!
Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results