shape
carat
color
clarity

H&A melee??

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
My sister's boyfriend was given the impression that there is such a thing as H&A melee (1 and 1.5pt stones)..... ??

Can someone let me know if this is true and just enlighten me on melee in general if this is not true-- ie is there just well cut and not well cut melee?

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
(bump) anyone have any idea? I've tried to research it and can't find much info at all...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never heard of it beyond a colloquialism (or what I assume is a colloquialism) but I suppose it's possible.. but for the (I'm guessing incredible, if it exists) premium I'd much rather nice single-cuts in those sizes - much more lively and interesting to my eyes.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dont think they exist, beyond the realm of hypothetically possible. Who would spend the time on that for mass production purposes??

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
I've been told contradictory things by jewelers, but H&A in melee does not make sense. Erica from Jewels by Erica Grace explained why she began to use single cuts instead of full cuts, and from the way she explained it single cuts do not have as many facets as full cuts. But although the facets are fewer, they are also larger which makes them catch broader flashes of light... much more than full cuts which only return smaller flashes. Thus, single cuts have a more eye popping dramatic looking, and that's why many jewelers (who know what they are doing) recommend them to be used... although some jewelers that I know only recommend them for pave pieces that are 1.8-2.2mm+

Erica from JBEG says that they have pretty much completely switched over to using single cuts instead of full cuts, and she also points to this quote from Leon's site: Typically each stone used in micropave is a “full cut” diamond, which means that it has the same 58 facets that you would count on any ideal cut round brilliant. However, full cut diamonds are not the best to use in micropave. The very best diamonds to use in micropave are “single cut” diamonds because they have far fewer facets (17 total facets). High quality, perfectly cut, single cuts are also known in the diamond industry as “eight cuts.” The fewer number facets on a single cut diamond are proportionally bigger and tend to reflect more noticeable flashes of light. High quality single cuts are mainly used in expensive watches to decorate the dials and mark the hours. But single cuts are very scarce, not to mention expensive, with the luxury watch industry consuming almost all of the production. I use eight cuts only for the most exclusive pieces or when a customer specifically requests them. Sometimes it takes weeks for certain sizes of single cuts to be delivered from Europe. From my point of view as an artist, it definitely is worth the money and effort to go with single cuts instead of full cuts. However, if you talk to most retailers (the majority of whom is simply ignorant on the issue or must go far out of their way to get single cuts), they would rather impress their customers with the tale of how each tiny stone has all 58 facets just like the larger ones. Although it’s a good sales approach, you simply cannot get the same rich look from full cut melee that you can get from single cuts."

I'm really sleepy as I finish typing this, but hopefully it made some sense ;-) I was obsessed w/ this a few months ago so I was reading everything that I could find about it online. Good luck!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
They exist, one time there was a heart image of perfect hearts on a ~1 pointer posted on PS but I cant find it.
It was way kewl.

That said I dont see any visible advantage to h&a over well cut diamonds in that size.
The details just get lost at that size.
My personal preference is well cut single cuts in that size.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1297174481|2846511 said:
They exist, one time there was a heart image of perfect hearts on a ~1 pointer posted on PS but I cant find it.
It was way kewl.

That said I dont see any visible advantage to h&a over well cut diamonds in that size.
The details just get lost at that size.
My personal preference is well cut single cuts in that size.

I seem to remember seeing that also...

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you SO MUCH everyone!! :wavey: All this info is so helpful!!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1297201920|2846867 said:
Hah! Found it!!

How bizarre, and how awesome! Apparently we naysayers were all wrong 8)

0.02 & 0.008 - pg 2 [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/todays-topics.56263/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/todays-topics.56263/[/URL]

still prefer single cuts though.. am I allowed to say that?
WHOA! I can't believe it!!! Good searching Yssie!! :appl:

I have to say that's pretty cool...

ETA: LOL on your teeny tiny type. Yep you're allowed! I'm guessing these baby H&A melee would be closer to the full cuts in terms of comparing them to single cuts and their ability to "reflect more noticeable flashes of light" as Leon puts it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LALove|1297202086|2846870 said:
Good searching Yssie!! :appl:

LOL I found it searching google for "pricescope" "H&A" "melee" "kicken" 'cause "kewl" didn't work :cheeky:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yssie|1297202259|2846872 said:
LALove|1297202086|2846870 said:
Good searching Yssie!! :appl:

LOL I found it searching google for "pricescope" "H&A" "melee" "kicken" 'cause "kewl" didn't work :cheeky:
rofl!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results