shape
carat
color
clarity

Good vs bad old cut diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve recently become obsessed with old cut diamonds, OEC diamonds in particular. I stumbled across this ring at Mel''s Antique Jewelry ebay store and was really intrigued by the comparison of two different cuts in the same ring. The two diamonds on the left appear to be mine cuts and the one on the right looks like a transitional. Experts, please feel free to chime in!

The two diamonds on the left have been cut extremely shallow at the top so there isn''t as much of a ''rainbow'' effect. The diamonds actually look like fish eyes to me! The one on the right is full of flashes and life, and it''s obvious from the side profile that it has a much higher table than the others.

I just thought this might be of interest to other old cut lovers
1.gif

wlftrsantiquering1.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
From the side. You can see the difference in depth of the tables in this pic.

wlftrsantiquering2.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
The fish eye effect

wlftrsantiquering3.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
That's a really interesting ring Wolftress! And I agree, the two on the left do indeed look quite different than the one on the right. It's interesting that that fisheye affect or whatever it is (maybe its just really small tables?) is also noticeable from the side view. But the head on from above view clearly shows that the right stone does indeed look like a chunky-monkey transitional piece of candy! Yum. Judging by the look of the ring, my guess is that the owner lost the right stone at a much later date and it was replaced with a transitional cut..?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great example of fish eye!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great find to look at as an example. I agree that the center stone and the one on the left have the fish-eye look and almost no crown height.
38.gif
But the one on the right is a screamer, with lovely large facets and a pillowy top.
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results