shape
carat
color
clarity

GOOD NEWS, BAD NEWS OR SOME OTHER SUCH NONSENSE

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Okay, guys, you know my saga. I lost a ring. I had a claim. I bought the original WF halo prong in platinum. I FOUND THE FRICKIN'' RING!!!! Can you stand it. It was down in an AC vent in my back hallway.

CHUBB was awesome. First of all, I had a check from the Friday call to Monday in the mail. I called them, and they were shocked. Not about finding the ring, but that I actually called them to tell them I found the ring. Go figure. They said that I could a. pay the claim. b. send back original ring. c. send back new ring. It was my choice. Can I tell you how highly I recommend them!!!!
9.gif

Now the rub. I was conflicted. I love my ACA. I love my halo prong. My original ring is a Superbcert and is gorgeous as well. My pref. is the ACA. Moral dilemma time. The diamonds were about equal in value. The settings were not. The halo prong was worth much more than my original setting. I agonized. I finally sent back the original ring. IT CAME BACK UNCLAIMED!!!! As soon as I saw the mail lady with the box it was like, "Okay, God. I get it. I should have done the right thing." I told my DH.

He felt so bad at my disappointment that he said I could take our income tax refund and buy out the claim. The euphoria lasted two days. I realized that that''s our security for this year. I could not do that to our family for a ring on my hand. I called Renee and Brian and told them of the situation. They were so sweet, and we brainstormed like mad to find a way to help. In the end, I decided to send back the new ring. My DH told me that I could take some of the money from the income tax refund and have them build me a new halo prong setting for my Superbcert. It will be the ring I love, if not the diamond I prefer. It''s still beautiful. Like I told Renee, I have to sleep at night, and I have to be at peace with my decision. It''s not worth having God mad at me for a rock on my hand.

I''m now in the process of getting the ring sent back and the new one made. I will have pics as soon as I can. Patience PS sharks.
2.gif

BTW, unless WF cuts me off, that won''t exactly be the last ACA I own.
31.gif
Thanks for reading guys.

shay

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
awww shay im so sad for you losing your halo!!
39.gif

so im confused...what did you mean the original ring came back unclaimed?

if you had three options, couldn''t you just choose one? and you did and somehow it didn''t work out? i am totally unfamiliar with how insurance works...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow I can''t believe you found it Shay. I also think you made the right decision. I can''t wait to see your new ring. Good for you.
36.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 5:47:24 PM
Author: Mara
39.gif

if you had three options, couldn''t you just choose one? and you did and somehow it didn''t work out? i am totally unfamiliar with how insurance works...

Ditto. I''m confused. They said you could choose which ring to send back. Why was it immoral to keep the WF ring?

In any case, I''m so sorry you had to part with your beloved halo!!! I know how much you loved it!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
So you sent the original ring back to Chubb and nobody signed for the package? Is that it?

And you thought it was karma coming to bite you? (I''d''ve tried to send the original ring back another time
9.gif
).

Did the new ring get claimed when you sent it?
2.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 5:50:30 PM
Author: FireGoddess
So you sent the original ring back to Chubb and nobody signed for the package? Is that it?

And you thought it was karma coming to bite you? (I''d''ve tried to send the original ring back another time
9.gif
).

Did the new ring get claimed when you sent it?
2.gif
Mara and FG, I will answer both your questions at once.

That is exactly right. It was sent to the right place and everything. It came back unclaimed. I had it registered, return receipt, and insured and priority. It came back.

I don''t know about the new ring yet. There hasn''t been time. If it comes back, hmm, another dilemma.
2.gif

Thank you Kaleigh. I think so too. Mara, I will miss my baby.

shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 5:50:16 PM
Author: Demelza

Date: 2/28/2006 5:47:24 PM
Author: Mara
39.gif

Ditto. I''m confused. They said you could choose which ring to send back. Why was it immoral to keep the WF ring?

In any case, I''m so sorry you had to part with your beloved halo!!! I know how much you loved it!!!
I felt it was wrong to keep the more expensive ring. Especially as Chubb had been so good about the whole thing. Darn conscience.
20.gif
It just kept bugging me.

shay

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
So if I understand you, you have already sent back the halo ring back to WF, right? I think you did the right thing.

I don''t know much about Supercert because I never dealt with them before, but do they have some sort of buyback option? Or consignment option? I think it''s a shame that you have to send back the new ring you love so much.
15.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 6:05:47 PM
Author: pebbles
So if I understand you, you have already sent back the halo ring back to WF, right? I think you did the right thing.

I don''t know much about Supercert because I never dealt with them before, but do they have some sort of buyback option? Or consignment option? I think it''s a shame that you have to send back the new ring you love so much.
15.gif
Worse, back to the insurance company. They paid a claim. I found the ring. They are entitled to and rightly deserve to get their money back.

I don''t know about a consignment or buyback option. I bought this from Martin at USA certed when they were still selling Superbcerts. I don''t think that from what I''ve read that Barry stands behind them in that situation.
39.gif

shay

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
OK, gottcha. I thought you bought your original diamond from Supercert, so that''s why I was asking about a buyback option.

Date: 2/28/2006 6:20:59 PM
Author: Shay37

Date: 2/28/2006 6:05:47 PM
Author: pebbles

15.gif
Worse, back to the insurance company. They paid a claim. I found the ring. They are entitled to and rightly deserve to get their money back.

I don''t know about a consignment or buyback option. I bought this from Martin at USA certed when they were still selling Superbcerts. I don''t think that from what I''ve read that Barry stands behind them in that situation.
39.gif

shay

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ugh..
what a predicament
39.gif
please keep us posted on the progress of your ring.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting. I would also have your husband call and ask what the proceedure is for bidding on the salvage. He may be able to buy if for a few dollars more than a dealer will pay for it if they will let him bid on it.

Wink

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh shay, what a tough situation. My conscience would have made me do the same thing. I know it was tough but good carma will come back to you.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Wink, thank you for that thought. i will see if I can find out. I''m not going to get my hopes up though. If it happens, it does. Thank you, Belle and Mrs. S. I just knew that I had to do what I felt to be the right thing. I know there are some who will think I am a bit silly or a dope, but I had to follow my heart on this.

shay

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 5:32:48 PM
Author:Shay37
Okay, guys, you know my saga. I lost a ring. I had a claim. I bought the original WF halo prong in platinum. I FOUND THE FRICKIN' RING!!!! Can you stand it. It was down in an AC vent in my back hallway.

CHUBB was awesome. First of all, I had a check from the Friday call to Monday in the mail. I called them, and they were shocked. Not about finding the ring, but that I actually called them to tell them I found the ring. Go figure. They said that I could a. pay the claim. b. send back original ring. c. send back new ring. It was my choice. Can I tell you how highly I recommend them!!!!
9.gif

Now the rub. I was conflicted. I love my ACA. I love my halo prong. My original ring is a Superbcert and is gorgeous as well. My pref. is the ACA. Moral dilemma time. The diamonds were about equal in value. The settings were not. The halo prong was worth much more than my original setting. I agonized. I finally sent back the original ring. IT CAME BACK UNCLAIMED!!!! As soon as I saw the mail lady with the box it was like, 'Okay, God. I get it. I should have done the right thing.' I told my DH.

He felt so bad at my disappointment that he said I could take our income tax refund and buy out the claim. The euphoria lasted two days. I realized that that's our security for this year. I could not do that to our family for a ring on my hand. I called Renee and Brian and told them of the situation. They were so sweet, and we brainstormed like mad to find a way to help. In the end, I decided to send back the new ring. My DH told me that I could take some of the money from the income tax refund and have them build me a new halo prong setting for my Superbcert. It will be the ring I love, if not the diamond I prefer. It's still beautiful. Like I told Renee, I have to sleep at night, and I have to be at peace with my decision. It's not worth having God mad at me for a rock on my hand.

I'm now in the process of getting the ring sent back and the new one made. I will have pics as soon as I can. Patience PS sharks.
2.gif

BTW, unless WF cuts me off, that won't exactly be the last ACA I own.
31.gif
Thanks for reading guys.

shay

Ok, I gotta say.....I don't get it.

The insurance company paid for the lost ring......so now that it's found, that's the one they should get. Unless you're emotional/sentimental about the original stone, why wouldn't you keep the ring you preferred....the ACA halo?

The original ring coming back, in my opinion, isn't a *sign*. Well, ok - it's a sign that someone can't deliver a package properly
2.gif
, but not a sign that you shouldn't keep the ring you love.

I'd keep the ring you prefer, but that's just me.

Regarding morality......Shay, you already passed that with flying colors just by your honesty with the insurance company. Any higher standard is just nuts.

WAAAAAAAAAAH - I just hate to see you lose your ring. I remember how EXCITED you were when it was being done, and sharing in that excitement when we had seen the ring at WF. *sob*

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
So they gave you the option to send the original ring back, you did, the package wasn''t claimed? So resend it! I would definitely not have taken that as a sign of anything but some serious incompetence on their part. Definitely not that you should for some reason be sending back the WF ring rather than the other one !!

I''m still so sad your ring is gone.
39.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2006 8:59:30 PM
Author: aljdewey

Okay, guys, you know my saga. I lost a ring. I had a claim. I bought the original WF halo prong in platinum. I FOUND THE FRICKIN' RING!!!! Can you stand it. It was down in an AC vent in my back hallway.

9.gif

Now the rub. I was conflicted. I love my ACA. I love my halo prong. My original ring is a Superbcert and is gorgeous as well. My pref. is the ACA. Moral dilemma time. The diamonds were about equal in value. The settings were not. The halo prong was worth much more than my original setting. I agonized. I finally sent back the original ring. IT CAME BACK UNCLAIMED!!!! As soon as I saw the mail lady with the box it was like, 'Okay, God. I get it. I should have done the right thing.' I told my DH.

He felt so bad at my disappointment that he said I could take our income tax refund and buy out the claim. The euphoria lasted two days. I realized that that's our security for this year. I could not do that to our family for a ring on my hand. I called Renee and Brian and told them of the situation. They were so sweet, and we brainstormed like mad to find a way to help. In the end, I decided to send back the new ring. My DH told me that I could take some of the money from the income tax refund and have them build me a new halo prong setting for my Superbcert. It will be the ring I love, if not the diamond I prefer. It's still beautiful. Like I told Renee, I have to sleep at night, and I have to be at peace with my decision. It's not worth having God mad at me for a rock on my hand.

I'm now in the process of getting the ring sent back and the new one made. I will have pics as soon as I can. Patience PS sharks.
2.gif

BTW, unless WF cuts me off, that won't exactly be the last ACA I own.
31.gif
Thanks for reading guys.

shay

Ok, I gotta say.....I don't get it.

The insurance company paid for the lost ring......so now that it's found, that's the one they should get. Unless you're emotional/sentimental about the original stone, why wouldn't you keep the ring you preferred....the ACA halo?

The original ring coming back, in my opinion, isn't a *sign*. Well, ok - it's a sign that someone can't deliver a package properly
2.gif
, but not a sign that you shouldn't keep the ring you love.

I'd keep the ring you prefer, but that's just me.

Regarding morality......Shay, you already passed that with flying colors just by your honesty with the insurance company. Any higher standard is just nuts.

WAAAAAAAAAAH - I just hate to see you lose your ring. I remember how EXCITED you were when it was being done, and sharing in that excitement when we had seen the ring at WF. *sob*
I gotta say I agree with everything Al says here. While I can applaud your character
17.gif
I can't help but believe that you have truly gone above and beyond.

I am sorry that you gave up the ring you loved so much but I certainly respect your decision. If this feels right to you, then so be it. We will wait for the new ring to be complete - I'm sure it will be beautiful too!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Al, Mara, MGR, I know I know I know. I just am bummed about it. I miss my halo baby dreadfully. I prefer the ACA new line. There''s just a look about it I love. However, I had to remind myself that we''re not talking about a crappy stone versus a superideal H&A. We''re talking about two superideals with different personalities. I hope that surrounded by ACA melee my diamond will take on a new and improved personality.

Also, in the scheme of things, I had to really KNOW that I did the right thing in my own self. Ya know? Otherwise, every time that something bad happened in my life I would be second guessing whether or not it was because of a wrong decision. Does that make any sense?

shay

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 10:56:38 PM

Also, in the scheme of things, I had to really KNOW that I did the right thing in my own self. Ya know? Otherwise, every time that something bad happened in my life I would be second guessing whether or not it was because of a wrong decision. Does that make any sense?
Honestly? No, it doesn''t make any sense to me.

If it''s ok by the insurance company, then you aren''t cheating them. So...you aren''t doing anything *wrong*. Sometimes, things aren''t signs....they are human screw-ups and nothing more. I''m not into all that karma crap.....sometimes, ca-ca happens and it''s just the way it is.
1.gif

It doesn''t make any sense....but it doesn''t have to. It''s your choice, and I respect it.

I don''t get it, but I respect it.
2.gif

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
Shay, this just shows what a tremendous person you really are!
36.gif
Wow! I am still amazed lol
3.gif

I can''t wait to hear more details about the new setting
1.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Shay

I''d suggest you call Martin, and have him list it for sale on his website. I am certain he''d be fair with you, and your Superbcert, would probably sell quickly ny him.

I''d offer 10-15% as a commission, and I would think he''d be glad to help you out. He would get inventory without having to buy it, maybe at a favorable price to resell it for you.

Should be a win-win for both of you.

Rockdoc

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Since I am not fortunate enough to own either a Superbcert nor an ACA, what exactly is the difference visually?
What type of setting was the Superbcert mounted in?
You have really demonstrated the utmost of character.
Since you have sent back the replacement ring, be certain to make sure that their records show that you have not made a claim against the policy, as you technically haven''t since you sort of reversed your original claim, and you don''t want your rates to be increased as they would be upon making a claim; also, you don''t want -- heaven forbid! -- to have to make another claim and then they think it is your second one and they cancel you!
This is all meant to be and goodness can only come your way because of the outstanding person that you are!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
They said that I could a. pay the claim. b. send back original ring. c. send back new ring. It was my choice.

I admire your integrity but secretly I wish you hadn''t sent back the new ring you love so much. I actually don''t think it would have been immoral to keep the new ring because they had all the facts but gave you the option to return either (or pay out claim). Am I right in saying that Chubb knew the new ring was more expensive but still gave you the choice? If so -- if everything''s on the table & everyone knows what the deal is .. why not choose the one you love? Regardless of expense. You''ve been paying for the insurance all this time - they want to keep you as a customer - you''ll be paying them for years to come. Everybody wins.

Do you think maybe you''re punishing yourself needlessly out of irrational guilt? Sometimes we humans have irrational guilt about things. When I first was an independent contractor I didn''t realize how many things were tax deductable. At first I felt SO guilty ... but when I told my accountant how I felt he explained how each deduction was entirely legitimate and though I''d been used to one way, the goverment set up the rules and we just play by them. Chubb set up the rules. A, B or C. Seems to me you get whichever choice you want, guilt free. Can you send back the other ring and get back the "new one" still?

My heart breaks for you!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Shay,

Like the others have said, I really admire your honesty-there aren''t enough people around who are.
12.gif
This sounds like a really tough situation. I''m new here, so I''m not familiar with the circumstances of the loss of your first ring. Was this the ring your SO proposed with? That would make a difference if it were me.

Good luck,
Lisa

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 10:56:38 PM
Al, Mara, MGR, I know I know I know. I just am bummed about it. I miss my halo baby dreadfully. I prefer the ACA new line. There''s just a look about it I love. However, I had to remind myself that we''re not talking about a crappy stone versus a superideal H&A. We''re talking about two superideals with different personalities. I hope that surrounded by ACA melee my diamond will take on a new and improved personality.

shay

It makes sense to me. I have this fear of karma coming back to kick me in the butt when I feel like I''ve done something wrong. I''m very sorry you had to give back the ring you loved.
7.gif
This is just me being sentimental, but maybe after you get the halo done on your original stone, you''ll like it even more. I know I''ll always have really strong feelings about the stone I have now, even I decide to upgrade one day, I don''t think I''ll ever part with this one.
5.gif
Anyway, I truly hope everything works out for you!
36.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 11:53:33 PM
Author: headlight
Since I am not fortunate enough to own either a Superbcert nor an ACA, what exactly is the difference visually?
What type of setting was the Superbcert mounted in?
You have really demonstrated the utmost of character.
Since you have sent back the replacement ring, be certain to make sure that their records show that you have not made a claim against the policy, as you technically haven''t since you sort of reversed your original claim, and you don''t want your rates to be increased as they would be upon making a claim; also, you don''t want -- heaven forbid! -- to have to make another claim and then they think it is your second one and they cancel you!
This is all meant to be and goodness can only come your way because of the outstanding person that you are!
Thank you, headlight, for the kind words and the advice. I will make sure they know that. I never thought about the fact that it canceled the fact that I made a claim. Good call.

Now for your questions. Visually, they are similar across a broad spectrum. They are both beautiful. Where the ACA new line shines is in low light. I do mean shines. It has such pop that you can see it from across the room. In direct lighting, they both have fire. The fire is different. In the ACA, the whole arrow pops huge sparks of fire. In the SC, it''s mostly the arrow tips that pop huge. The arrow shafts don''t seem to light up the same way. Smaller flashes. The difference between putting big Christmas tree lights and tiny ones I guess. The SC is more subtle I guess.

The SC is mounted in a royal crown lookalike. It is 18k yellow with platinum wires forming the crown head. Quite a dif between a setting in plat. with 3/4 of a carat of ACA melee. I hope that I explained the difference well enough to be understood.

shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
RockDoc, Rascal, SK, XChick, thank you so much for the kind words and the advice.

SK, this is actually an upgrade from my original poorly cut marquise that was not a great stone. Yes, we were once "mauled" too.
38.gif
Thank God for Pricescope.

shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 12:06:54 AM
Author: decodelighted

They said that I could a. pay the claim. b. send back original ring. c. send back new ring. It was my choice.

I admire your integrity but secretly I wish you hadn''t sent back the new ring you love so much. I actually don''t think it would have been immoral to keep the new ring because they had all the facts but gave you the option to return either (or pay out claim). Am I right in saying that Chubb knew the new ring was more expensive but still gave you the choice? If so -- if everything''s on the table & everyone knows what the deal is .. why not choose the one you love? Regardless of expense. You''ve been paying for the insurance all this time - they want to keep you as a customer - you''ll be paying them for years to come. Everybody wins.

Do you think maybe you''re punishing yourself needlessly out of irrational guilt? Sometimes we humans have irrational guilt about things. When I first was an independent contractor I didn''t realize how many things were tax deductable. At first I felt SO guilty ... but when I told my accountant how I felt he explained how each deduction was entirely legitimate and though I''d been used to one way, the goverment set up the rules and we just play by them. Chubb set up the rules. A, B or C. Seems to me you get whichever choice you want, guilt free. Can you send back the other ring and get back the ''new one'' still?

My heart breaks for you!
Probably. I have an overdeveloped guilt meter. My Mother sent me on so many guilt trips that if they gave frequent flyer miles, I could go to the moon and back. LOL

shay

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think that having another halo setting made for your current stone will indeed change the ''look'' of it - going from a solitaire setting to being surrounded by a halo will certainly make a visual difference. I am hoping for you that once you get the new ring you will see nuances in it that make it special and different. This seems to be the scenario that you can best live with so I am so hoping that when you open the new ring you will be blown away by it too.

Chubb reimbursed you the cost of the stone - with which you bought the new stone. I am assuming that because the first ring didn''t have a halo that you purchased that out of your own pocket. Haven''t you now given Chubb MORE than what they paid you for? Shouldn''t there be some compensation to you for the halo? I guess that''s why I didn''t understand your rationale. They paid you for the loss of the first ring. IMO that should have been the ring they got back. Instead, you sent back the more expensive setting. Just seems like some allowance should be made to you for that - particularly considering the fact that you were so honest with them. In all sincerity, you and I both know most people would have never called them and confessed to finding the ring. As Al said, ca-ca happens! (That phrase tickles me!) Sometimes ca-ca falls your way and sometimes ca-ca falls the other way. I''m really not trying to beat a dead horse - just something to think about and possibly discuss with Chubb.

At any rate, I wish you all the best and hope that you are happy with the new ring. We will be anxiously awaiting pictures and again hats off to you for being a truly decent person.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results