shape
carat
color
clarity

Gold Custom Designs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen so many beautiful custom designs from peaple like Mark Morrell, etc. It seems like when I see them, though, it is always platinum. Does anyone know if people who specialize in platinum will do projects in yellow gold? If so, can you direct me to any websites, pictures?

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
Most will, jewelers have a hard time learning to work with platinum, some never get it right. Once you master platinum, gold is easy. Some will have their nose in the air a bit and only work with plat, which is funny to me. Not that many years ago, Gold was high and Plat was low (per ounce) Gold was popular and plat was not. Now when plat and gold have switched prices, they have also switched popularity.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

Any shop that does custom is happy to do work in gold as it is much easier to work with than platium.

The rising popularity of white metals in the last few years means designers, custom shops, etc. will be showing more white metal designs than yellow metal designs.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/20/2004 10:23:12 AM wonka27 wrote:

I have seen so many beautiful custom designs from peaple like Mark Morrell, etc. It seems like when I see them, though, it is always platinum. ----------------

I think there are gold rings on Mark's website, btw. And... if you really have lots of time to browse than this (LINK) particular PS posts has about 1001 designer sites, most of them listing gold as well as platinum. I can assure you that there are many, many more
2.gif
The thread listing rings (on Show me the Ring) and bezel settings (recent thread) also make good "yellow pages"...

You may want to start on websites that already lists a range of designers, such as Weddingband and Claypot. The designer pages on Ganoskin is one of my favorite jewelry places on the web... although there are not too many e-rings around.

What type of gold designs do you have in mind?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
One thing to be wary of is that if you see a design you like in plat but want it in gold be sure and talk to your ring maker about duribility issues.
There are some designs that the wear/strenth difference between plat and gold can be a major problem.
The more delicate the design the bigger a problem it can be.

Iv discussed this issue with my ring guy and he says it is a major issue and some people get mad when he tells them its not a good idea to make a design in gold.
Some have went with others and had it made anyway and had nothing but problems with the setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results