shape
carat
color
clarity

Girlfriend and I are changing our minds too much...

SQ809

Rough_Rock
I think we are annoying the staff at Whiteflash. She has been giving input in the ring selection process, and she's changed the diamond selection once now (from a J to an I). I mentioned to her in passing last night that solitaires are what I would have looked at for her if it was just me deciding, and she decided she'd let me pick the solitaire setting now for the ring and has said she will be "hands off" from now on. So I found a solitaire setting on whiteflash but I want some opinions.

The diamond is a 0.857 VS2 I color (as you may have seen in prior posts of mine). It is A Cut Above. She wears a size 4.25.

We are looking at the Vatche Felicity Pave setting, or just the Vatche Felicity (no pave). I was thinking if I got the plain one, I could surprise her and get her an even bigger I stone. Budget overall is $5600-$5700 now. We were at 5690 with the original Ritani $1990 halo and I color stone. The pave is $1700 and the plain is $800.

1. Will ~$1000 more really get me a bigger diamond??
2. Should I consider dropping down to a J again since it's not in a halo, so I can get her something even bigger?

Why is this so difficult...

SQ809

Rough_Rock
And I posted this in the wrong forum. Just asked the Mods to move it, sorry guys.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would strongly recommend against the Felicity. It is much too thin at 1.6mm. I prefer 2.0mm which is very thin as it is.

It is expected to not be 100% sure what you want when there are many good options. Stick with I color. That's as low as I'd recommend in a modern round brilliant.

I do think you need to let her narrow down the solitaires to maybe 3 for you to choose from. But eliminate those that are less than 2mm.

Here are the ones that have been most popular among PS members. I'd recommend platinum.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/exquisite-half-round-solitaire-engagement-ring-3586.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/legato-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-729.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-tiffany-style-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-734.htm

These will leave you about $4500 for the diamond. Suggestion:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3663988.htm

In actuality, you are in the $3700 range for the low .80 range, and it jumps up over $5k for an ACA .90 or above. So I think you are going to either spend less than your upper budget or you can get a more expensive setting.

She needs to be sure whether she prefers a halo or a solitaire. Only she can decide that. A halo will really boost size appearance with a .80 ct diamond if size is important to her.

SQ809

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the feedback! I know, I think she is going to regret not having the finger coverage, but her fingers are a 4 (the knuckle makes it a 4.25 we learned), so a 0.857 won't be too shabby on her. I plan to upgrade her too. We're house shopping, thus the budget. We're just in major down payment saving/student loan paydown mode right now. Around this time next year I am going to get her a 1.3-1.5 as a house warming present, I'm already planning how I'm going to get the ring away from her long enough for WF to do the upgrade. The solitaire would be easier to upgrade to a larger stone in, I'm assuming the halo would get tossed if we increased size that much.

She was also concerned about the size of the melee on the halo. I do agree they look kind of big, compared to some of the nice custom ones I've looked up on here. But custom isn't in the budget today, so she chose the Ritani setting. It's the 0.45 ct halo french pave, there is also the 0.21 option.

Just so many choices, and I don't want to annoy WF anymore. It's a big purchase, and they likely think we are nuts at this point, lol

SQ809

Rough_Rock
Do you think the Felicity is still too thin even though our diamond is not even a carat?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the worry is that a thin band could get bent out of shape or melee might fall out, not the size of the diamond.

If you are planning on upgrading I'd go for the solitaire design, although I'm not sure how easy it is to recycle a setting- sometimes it will require a new head if the diamond is a lot bigger.

SQ809

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback. Oh, that's a great point about the melee. Hm.

Added to the confusion now is that she likes rose gold. Original setting was rose gold. She likes platinum too, but rose gold was safe with our J stone before. With the I, I know I can do either. I know gold is softer than platinum but, does it bend or morph like platinum can? I forget all of the characteristics of metals from chemistry... Go figure...

Too many decisions. Just need this setting picked out and then I'll be good to go and the folks at Whiteflash can be free of our questions finally. :clap:

SQ809

Rough_Rock
4 or 6 prong for a diamond less than 1ct?

I am reading mixed reviews online. Some say the 6 prong will be too much metal. When my GF and I started dating almost 4 years ago, we would joke about getting married and she sent me pictures of the Tiffany solitaire. So I knew she liked the 6 prong, but I'm sure the diamonds Tiffanys advertises with are well over my .857ct.

Lore

Rough_Rock
SQ809|1483916228|4113603 said:

I am reading mixed reviews online. Some say the 6 prong will be too much metal. When my GF and I started dating almost 4 years ago, we would joke about getting married and she sent me pictures of the Tiffany solitaire. So I knew she liked the 6 prong, but I'm sure the diamonds Tiffanys advertises with are well over my .857ct.

I was deciding between 4 and 6 as well and finally settled on the 6 since the 6 prongs makes the RB look more round than squarish, which 4 prongs have a tendency to do. I just had dinner with friends last night; one of them had a RB with 4 prongs and at first glance I could have sworn it was a princess cut. I had to look closer before I realized it was actually a RB.

I don't think a 6 prong ring would have too much metal. I bought the Tiffany-style ring from WF and had it customized to be even more Tiffany-ish. Beautiful result - pictures here:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-semi-custom-knife-edge-w-aca.227819/#post-4113636']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-semi-custom-knife-edge-w-aca.227819/#post-4113636[/URL]

SQ809

Rough_Rock
Lore|1483926873|4113644 said:

I was deciding between 4 and 6 as well and finally settled on the 6 since the 6 prongs makes the RB look more round than squarish, which 4 prongs have a tendency to do. I just had dinner with friends last night; one of them had a RB with 4 prongs and at first glance I could have sworn it was a princess cut. I had to look closer before I realized it was actually a RB.

I don't think a 6 prong ring would have too much metal. I bought the Tiffany-style ring from WF and had it customized to be even more Tiffany-ish. Beautiful result - pictures here:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-semi-custom-knife-edge-w-aca.227819/#post-4113636']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-semi-custom-knife-edge-w-aca.227819/#post-4113636[/URL]

WOW. That's probably exactly what she would like. How much extra did all the modifications cost? Also is the setting called "Tiffany", or is it something else? I wonder if they could make the band thinner. Her diamond won't be that large and I worry the band will be too wide when looking down. Gorgeous diamond, plan to upgrade to about that size in a year once we close on a house.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are still interested in a 6 prong setting, here's my first version of WF's classic Tiffany style knife edge setting:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-5-ct-whiteflash-aca.210847/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-5-ct-whiteflash-aca.210847/[/URL]

Here's my 2nd after an upgrade of the center stone:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-7ct-whiteflash-aca-upgrade.222254/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-7ct-whiteflash-aca-upgrade.222254/[/URL]

Hope these 2 threads help! Good luck in your decision! :wavey:

SQ809

Rough_Rock
Mochiko, what setting is that? Is it custom right from the getgo or is it a specific style from WF just modified? Reversed taper is a must if I go this route, she specifically said she doesn't like too much metal so thinner around the diamond is preferable

SQ809

Rough_Rock
M-2-b I am speechless. Absolutely gorgeous. Wish I could get her something of that quality one day!!

SQ809

Rough_Rock
Sorry just seeing now it's a CVB setting. Can I ask who set the diamond in that case? Most places I've looked into won't set a diamond from somewhere else. I am trying to have it ready for a possible Valentines Day weekend proposal so I'm down to the wire kind of.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CvB will set customers' diamonds. :wavey:

SQ809

Rough_Rock
Well that's just awesome then! I will look into CvB too.

Thanks everyone - you've all been very helpful. Only thing I would change about this whole experience is my budget :wall: Hopefully she will love it anyway, and be very surprised by the upgrade I plan to do within the year.

SQ809

Rough_Rock
I could have gotten something bigger, but it wouldn't be "A Cut Above" and everyone raves about ACA on here. Toying with the idea of searching the Expert Selection inventory at WF as well (also "in house" so applicable toward the upgrade) but I just don't know if I'd find anything as great. Sparkles matter above all else to her. She is just a sparkle person in general, if that even makes sense.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SQ809|1483958471|4113710 said:
Sorry just seeing now it's a CVB setting. Can I ask who set the diamond in that case? Most places I've looked into won't set a diamond from somewhere else. I am trying to have it ready for a possible Valentines Day weekend proposal so I'm down to the wire kind of.

Whiteflash set my diamond for me because I'm outside the US and don't have global insurance that would cover the diamond if Caysie set it. So Caysie made the setting and shipped it to whiteflash, who then shipped me the finished ring. Caysie quoted me 2 weeks for the setting but it ended up taking 3.5 weeks because of one CAD revision and also Thanksgiving weekend fell during that time. The only minor downside to having WF set the ring instead of caysie is that the claw prongs are just a tiny bit less refined than if Caysie's bench had done the setting.

The only thing I would add is that if your budget for the setting is tight and you plan to upgrade sooner rather than later, you may want to consider the other in-house options offered by WF instead because they're cheaper and you can also get partial credit for the used settings when you decide to upgrade. CVB is nice but I don't know if I would recommend her as a first choice for a temporary setting as her prices are higher (due to each piece being custom made vs WF's stock settings)

Hope this is helpful! :wavey:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I do NOT think the Felicity without pave is too thin. My 14K ring is below 2mm and I'm on year 23! Other people's experiences may differ, but I can only speak about mine.

Lore

Rough_Rock
SQ809|1483927688|4113646 said:
Lore|1483926873|4113644 said:

I am reading mixed reviews online. Some say the 6 prong will be too much metal. When my GF and I started dating almost 4 years ago, we would joke about getting married and she sent me pictures of the Tiffany solitaire. So I knew she liked the 6 prong, but I'm sure the diamonds Tiffanys advertises with are well over my .857ct.[/quote

WOW. That's probably exactly what she would like. How much extra did all the modifications cost? Also is the setting called "Tiffany", or is it something else? I wonder if they could make the band thinner. Her diamond won't be that large and I worry the band will be too wide when looking down. Gorgeous diamond, plan to upgrade to about that size in a year once we close on a house.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

The WF ring is this one with the customizations. It was a just a little more money to do the customizations, but the downside is no returns. Read m-2-b posts too - she inspired me! http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-tiffany-style-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-734.htm

I honestly think the default thickness will work just fine. You probably don't want it much thinner than 2mm.

SQ809

Rough_Rock
Alright - it's been Ordered! Ended up getting the contemporary solitaire (it has a tapered band), with the modifications Lore and m-2-b suggested. Thanks everyone for your help. I'll be back to post pictures of the sparkly pebble when it arrives. Pebble compared to Pricescope majority, that is. In about 6-9 months I'll be back with its upgrade as well! :dance:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the Felicity with pave is potentially too thin but I don't think there's a problem without pave.

Strawberry129

Rough_Rock
Is there a Vatche dealership near you where you can look at the band in person?

I personally thought that the Felicity was a bit too thin and too too delicate for my taste...but you never know until you see it yourself.

SQ809

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.

I just saw an 0.92 come into inventory. it's $1500 more. I'm saving money on the setting, so I could spend it, but is it worth it? Is there much of a visible difference between 0.86 and 0.92, or is that money best spent being saved toward the upgrade? Her hands are 4.25. I cant really find pictures of a diamond that size on that hand on here. Any suggestions?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a very helpful website that let's you see sizes on the hand. We're not allowed to link but you can google it. Below is a comparison of standard .86 and .92 which comes out to 5% face-up. You probably won't be able to see it on the hand. Also, I would save money on the setting if you're planning an upgrade in short order because it's unlikely to be re-used. Pick cheapest option for proposal.

2017-01-09_20_43_43-0.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember when comparing visible size, use dimensions, not carat weight. Some .86 carat stones could measure larger (diameter) than a .92 carat. Find the dimensions and then use that diamond size comparison tool to visualize. The compare baby monster did uses a 6.5 finger size. You would put 4 (or 4.25 with knuckle) and adjust the band size to 2mm or 1.9 or whatever you picked. It's pretty cool to compare side by side.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SQ809|1484003533|4113863 said:
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.

I just saw an 0.92 come into inventory. it's $1500 more. I'm saving money on the setting, so I could spend it, but is it worth it? Is there much of a visible difference between 0.86 and 0.92, or is that money best spent being saved toward the upgrade? Her hands are 4.25. I cant really find pictures of a diamond that size on that hand on here. Any suggestions?

Since you are planning on upgrading in the near future, I don't think it matters whether you get the .86 or .92. Whatever you pay for the diamond will apply toward the diamond. What you don't know is whether diamond prices will increase during that time, and if they did, it would make sense to pay as much as you can now while prices are low. But no one knows the future!

One thing you need to know is that whatever setting you buy now will not fit a 1.5 ct diamond, so you will be looking at either having WF replace the head on the ring you are buying now, or getting a new setting if she decides she likes another style better.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results