shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA facetware cut question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rman222

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I have been fooling around with the GIA facetware available on their website. In playing with some diamonds posted on pricescope vendor websites it seems that more than a few of what I thought would be considered "super ideals" would fall into GIA''s "very good" category instead of excellent. I did not have the star and lower half percents of course from the available information, but trying many combinations of those still led to a "very good" classification. Am I missing something or doing something incorrectly or is the GIA "excellent" for cut somehow not in congruence with the current "super ideals"?
Thanks for any insights.
Joe H

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what numbers were you working with?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
without the right star and lower half info you wont get the right reading.

Rman222

Rough_Rock
Belle,
I tried it with several but here is one:
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1732614.htm

This is an ACA 1.016

When I put in the depth, table, crown angle, pavilion angle, culet, girdle, polish and symmetry, and then try all the combinations I can for star% and lower half% I can never get an "excellent". It almost always comes out "very good" with an occasional "good" with some very off star and lower half %s.

I tried it with a number of others and got the same results and was just kind of surprised and was wondering what it meant.

Thanks,

Joe

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
thn
thn
non
ex
ex

gets an exellent.

use 41 and its very good, the actual is 40.9

round the depth up to 61 and use 41 and its also exellent.

rounding sux......

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
fyi 50 and 80 for stars and lgf will be correct for most ACA''s

one side effect of the gia rounding is some kicken diamonds with thin girdles are going to take a hit because when the angles are rounded up it comes out with too thin a girdle and drops a grade or 2.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
same thing with the second example you posted the rounding on the crown up to 35 puts the girdle too thin dropping it a grade.
rounding the depth up solves that.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2005 11:46:28 PM
Author: strmrdr
thn
thn
non
ex
ex

gets an exellent.

use 41 and its very good, the actual is 40.9

round the depth up to 61 and use 41 and its also exellent.

rounding sux......
Those two words say a lot.

Good use of depth adjustments for rounding, Strm. Yet another approach to compensate: The Sarin on the first diamond reports 40.8 PA (40.7-40.9 min and max). Using 40.8, not rounded, along with the given depth also results in Ex.

On the second diamond the min-max on the CA range from 34.4-34.8. If you use given depth along with a 34.5 CA it results in Ex as well. In this situation I believe Strms approach, above, is more valid.

It''s possible that the 34.5-35.0 leap in the crown angle option is going to make for some headaches.

FWareSShot.jpg

Rman222

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I can see how the rounding or moving the numbers up or down a tiny bit makes a big difference. In those two cases it seems if you follow GIA''s instructions exactly that they would come out Very Good instead of excellent. Does that mean that GIA would grade those as Very Good or will they make adjustments or will there just be some very nice stones graded as Very Good instead of Excellent? How much difference do you think it will make in the marketplace to have a Very Good instead of an Excellent grade?
Thanks for the insights. As a consumer I find it fascinating that after reading about how long GIA has been working on a cut grade that they have used such big rounding and that such small differences are right on the line between grades.
Joe

Rman222

Rough_Rock
Gary,
When you say that the results are downgraded because a girdle of 3% is too thin to be considered "excellent" by GIA is that because it changes the angles and thus the relative calculations, or because GIA thinks a girdle of 3% is too thin in and of itself to be considered excellent? I thought a 3% girdle would be classified as "thick" and that a thin to medium girdle was more desirable?
Thanks again for the insights.
Joe

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its my understanding that as far as basic proportions go thats pretty much going to be it.
A stone can get knocked down farther by girdle treatments and a few other things.

edit: talking about diamonds in general from here, not ACA's AGS is Brian's lab of choice for the ACA's and that isnt likely to change anytime soon.

The truth is that such stones if they have good optical symmetry will never likely see the inside of the GIA lab.
They will get sent to AGS with very very few exceptions.

You can bet that some very smart people are planning on how to take advantage of the gia system and cut for the max weight advantage and get the EX score at the same time.
They left them plenty of room to play.

At the same time some truely awesome diamonds are going to get knocked down by the rounding.
So were either going to see some thicker girdles being cut or no thin girdle ideals sent to GIA.
Short term its the second, long term a little of both.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2005 8:35:05 AM
Author: Rman222
Gary,

When you say that the results are downgraded because a girdle of 3% is too thin to be considered ''excellent'' by GIA is that because it changes the angles and thus the relative calculations, or because GIA thinks a girdle of 3% is too thin in and of itself to be considered excellent? I thought a 3% girdle would be classified as ''thick'' and that a thin to medium girdle was more desirable?

Thanks again for the insights.

Joe

3% is at the thick part of the girdle not the average of the thin part which is what they have been using and I think are still going to use for the ratings on the cert.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results