shape
carat
color
clarity

G or H? Conflicting advice

buyer2011

Rough_Rock
I am getting a ton of conflicting advice on going with a G or H round cut diamond. Both are comparible on clarity and super ideal cut. Many are saying that you can't really tell the difference between G or H and that you would be wasting money by going up to G. Others are saying that you can tell and to go with a G? what is your opinion?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
buyer2011|1321982784|3066856 said:
I am getting a ton of conflicting advice on going with a G or H round cut diamond. Both are comparible on clarity and super ideal cut. Many are saying that you can't really tell the difference between G or H and that you would be wasting money by going up to G. Others are saying that you can tell and to go with a G? what is your opinion?

what is the carat weight and price? how do you plan to set it (if you are going with a setting where the side view will be obstructed, color might not be as important...) what factors are most important to you?

I would go see some G vs H in person and see what your personal preferences about color are.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, well, I guess I'd be a good one to answer since all my stones have been G and H! The reason I said "ugh" is that I still struggle with that sometime. Mentally, G VS1 is perfect for me. But the temptation to save money is the thing that pulls me toward the H. From the top, you probably can't tell them apart. But I could see the slightest tint from the side on the H in certain lighting. It wasn't bad at all and I think few people would be able to tell the difference. I am going to attach a picture of two stones that I compared and one is G and the other is H. I am sure you can't tell the color difference in pictures, but I really couldn't tell in person, either. And in fact, one of the stones was graded H by one lab and G by another, so even graders are not 100% consistent! (I don't think you could tell a thing by going to look at color in jewelry store lighting which is why I rarely recommend that.)

diamonds 003b1.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1321983480|3066869 said:
Ugh, well, I guess I'd be a good one to answer since all my stones have been G and H! The reason I said "ugh" is that I still struggle with that sometime. Mentally, G VS1 is perfect for me. But the temptation to save money is the thing that pulls me toward the H. From the top, you probably can't tell them apart. But I could see the slightest tint from the side on the H in certain lighting. It wasn't bad at all and I think few people would be able to tell the difference. I am going to attach a picture of two stones that I compared and one is G and the other is H. I am sure you can't tell the color difference in pictures, but I really couldn't tell in person, either. And in fact, one of the stones was graded H by one lab and G by another, so even graders are not 100% consistent! (I don't think you could tell a thing by going to look at color in jewelry store lighting which is why I rarely recommend that.)

yes, DS makes a good point...if you are going to compare try comparing in fluorescent lighting not spotlighting (because that is where you will see your stone most of the time!!)

NervousBuyer

Rough_Rock
Unless you are like DS and own several stones in that range to which you can compare, I highly doubt you will notice a difference. 1 colour range is not very much at all - considering they are evaluated loose, in strict lab conditions, versus master stones. Out of that lab setting, looking at one stone by itself (especially once set and from the top!) I doubt you'll be able to see a colour difference. There are several PSers who are very good at this sort of thing, but for the average person I'd recommend saving your money.

Disclosure: I bought an F recently, but that was because the other specs matched what I was looking for and the price was right. It was only a little more than the H I was looking at. I doubt I could tell a difference in colour - I see no colour in it as it is by definition 'colour-less' (but many ideal cut H stones show no colour as well).

If I were you and all other things were equal, with the only difference in price being for the upgrade in colour, I would get the H. Unless you are an expert, carry around Master stones, or have a habit of unsetting the stone to look at it from the side, it will be colourless. :)

Edited for wordiness.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not that the advice conflicts, it is that people vary.
Some people feel a D is worth the price.

There is a real color difference between G and H but it is slight, just as with every other adjacent grade.
Only you can decide if the color difference justifies the price you are willing to pay.

If you decide that for you the G does not justify the price over the H, next you have to decide if the H is worth the price next to the I, then the J, then the K, etc.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It all depends on your individual taste/color tolerance. I had a 2.3ct G diamond originally but I traded it in for a larger 3 ct H stone and can't tell the difference next to my G side stones. You should definitely go and look for yourself to see if you can see the difference in a setting that will be similar to what you want.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like icy white and I am color sensitive, so I personally would go with the G. That is just me though...

You should go compare ideal cut G and H stones in person.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion (and that's just what it is opinion, not fact) is that (a well cut) G is the way to go. I am color sensitive and I notice tint in H even a well cut H. If you cannot notice the color difference don't pay the extra premium (unless it is a mind clean thing for you that is) but if you can I say it is worth the extra $$.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results