shape
carat
color
clarity

Full vs. half eternity ring

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I am interested in getting an eternity band for my 10th wedding anniversary and am debating about getting a full vs. half vs. 3/4 eternity . My original wedding ring is a 3/4 eternity and sometimes it was annoying to have to turn it around when it spins. I've been a size 4 ring size for the last 10 yrs so I'm not worried about resizing (although I heard your fingers get fatter as you age, but I'm not sure if that's dependent on gaining weight). Will there be a problem with the diamonds on the reverse of the band getting loose on a full eternity? Would love to hear the pros and cons of these options besides the price. Thanks so much!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 7 stone and it spins and is just not super comfortable. I've always regretted not getting a full eternity and may have it made into one someday. My concerns would be sizing and weight gain/ loss over the years, which is why I haven't had it made into a full eternity as of yet. I would hate to go to the expense and then not be able to enjoy it down the line. Have fun with deciding!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an almost-full eternity: there's a bar in place of one stone for sizing. I'm very happy I went this route - it's nearly a full eternity and the bar rarely spins to the top, so I hardly ever see metal, but that spacing gives me peace of mind re. future resizing needs.

I haven't had any issues with stones coming loose over three years of wearing it two-three days a week, but I'm very careful with jewellery in general so am perhaps not the best judge of this. WF made mine and their workmanship is excellent - I'm sure that helps!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've worn a full eternity pretty much daily for the past 8 years with no issues. It's plat and built like a tank but I'm careful with it, i.e. I won't garden or do housework while wearing it. My rings spin so a half or 3/4 would've made me nuts.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
This is a very interesting topic. Thank you for posting it. I do not own an eternity band (single row) so I cannot comment based on personal experience. PPs seem like they gave u some good feedback.

I was going to say....go with a half since I feel diamonds on the bottom of the band are a "waste" and for me, would have a higher probability of being chipped. I feel the money could be spent with larger diamonds on the top half of the ring. But very different looks overall.

However, PPs mentioned spinning. Very good point and would be anoying. Balls could help? Since I can't speak from experience, I can't say much! Will be great to read replies!

I'm curious what the masses will say....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Yssie's idea is best for a full eternity, but you do have to be super conscious of not grabbing door handles and things that might damage those diamonds on the palm side of the ring. My ring size stayed the same for around 25 years and then started creeping up as my metabolism changed after middle-age and I gained some weight. So I really don't recommend that younger women get eternities unless they are made with the small sizing area. I could have one now because my weight doesn't fluctuate that much, but I will say that I would be afraid of damaging the stones on the palm side of the ring. So my personal choice would be a 7 or 9 stone band to wear with an e-ring, or a 5 stone band with larger stones to wear alone.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1453668709|3980803 said:
I think Yssie's idea is best for a full eternity, but you do have to be super conscious of not grabbing door handles and things that might damage those diamonds on the palm side of the ring.
but I will say that I would be afraid of damaging the stones on the palm side of the ring.

I agree with this completely. The real killer of full eternity bands is wearing rings on both hands, getting a bit excited and clapping your hands together. All it takes is once and you may lose stones and wipe out the prongs holding them in very short order, (this comes from repairing several of these over the years). They look great but you must be VERY careful wearing them.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG! Thank you for the clapping PSA Michael E! I always am mindful of what I grab and how I grab things so as not to abrade or warp my bands, but ive never thought about the potential damage from clapping, although I usually clap 90 degrees bc it can hurt to bang a band against a finger, palm side!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a half eternity girl. But my rings really don't spin that much. I got plump fingers.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my full eternity. I got it after all babies. My finger was originally 7.25. 35 years later it's 8. I'm right handed so it doesn't get banged around much. I have a WF u-prong and it's very comfy. Ten pointers. No regrets.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Count me as one who would advise on a small sizing bar. Here's mine so you can see the size of the sizing bar. I'm very glad I went this route--nothing could be more of a bummer, getting your ring, then years later not being able to wear it!! Good luck with your decision!! & congrats on your 10th anniversary! :appl:

custom-eternity-diamond-ring-in-platinum-by-whiteflash_42448_0.jpg

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I have both a seven stone and an eternity band. (I have had no issues with the seven stone spinning.). If I were purchasing a new eternity band then I would only do so if it had a small sizing bar. :wavey:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Get a thin sizing bar if you go the eternity route. As you get older, even it your weight stays the same, your knuckles/joints get a bit larger.

Or, if you are like most of us, you won't be wearing your original wedding rings 10-20 years from now. So it might not matter.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I do not have an eternity band. My comment is about finger sizes. My weight is very close to what it was 30 years ago however my fingers are significantly bigger. I don't have any pain in my fingers but a few years ago when I got an xray after a hand injury the orthopedist said, "by the the way you have arthritis in almost all of your finger joints." So I guess that's what's making my fingers bigger. Thirty years ago I would have had no idea this would happen. So........you get what you get in this life, and it sounds like the the eternity band to get is the one with a spacer bar. :angel:

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, I do have an eternity ring that is going to be too small in a very short time :(( I have a beautiful Victor Canera shallow cut band and my finger size has undergone 1/2 size increase in the past year. I did get the band in the new bigger size, but I'm worried that it's not going to fit soon. I don't know whether I'll sell it or what...

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wedding ring is a 1/2 and it drives me bananas. It's never aligned right and is often upside down, where the diamonds are underneath my hand. I just got a RHR full eternity and wish I had done THAT for my wedding ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results