shape
carat
color
clarity

French Tapered Ring design - LM or SK or VC?

firelover

Rough_Rock
Hello ladies!!

Thinking about the design of my e-ring....I am thinking of getting the french or square cut tapered side stones design...I have quotes from the 3 major hand forged - LM , SK and VC. Here are the differences - . The stone I have put a deposit on is 1.78 L AVC

LM -
- highest quote - At this quote it is out of my budget range.
- he has exclusive rights to getting antique french cut stones.
- Will find me something that matches my L colored stone.
- Also said that he will look at the stone and give me suggestions and that is when I bring in the budget. He almost said that french cuts might be out of my budget.

VC -
- 2/3 cost of LM
- he says he can find color calibrated stones for my center stone.

SK
- 1/2 LM
- Square cut stones only. ( so probably quote is understandable). Says french cut will cost you a fortune.
- He says he can find color calibrated stones matching my L stone if I am not okay with the contrast.

Anything that you experts know that I dont know?

What do you all think? Please help.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went with Victor Canera for mine! He would be my first choice, SK second.

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
Hi Firelover ... I think I spoke with you earlier! Not going with a halo?

If you are prepared to consider a non-designer setting, I would suggest you contact Lynda at GOG and ask what they can do for you! Just a suggestion.

firelover

Rough_Rock
Hi Caratlover2 - :)) I think I have the same fear as you...Everything you wrote in that post resonated with my thoughts...so since I am not really a risk taker i am going with tapered french cut setting ( I think here also we are on the same page). :tongue: Maybe in near future I can get an emerald set in a halo setting...no but i have another setting in my mind for an emerald...god help me! :lickout:

I have always liked the french tapered look so thinking should go with that...

When I was at GOG, lynda showed me a stock setting for the halo..I think its fine considering the price difference but then I couldn't get over it..thats just my personal preference...but I never asked her to look for options for a french cut..hmm..I will contact her. She is very good at what she does and very honest..so I trust her :)

Whom did you go for your diamond? We are colored diamond sisters! :bigsmile:

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
I think we must be diamond sisters :wavey: - I think this is your stone, and mine is the one next to it :love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMNY4x08C_o&list=UUEV7slr-i-VduBBnfv9MxhA&index=19&feature=plcp

Although I initially wanted a halo too, when I saw Lovestreet's M with the tapered french cuts - I was sold.

Anyway, I blew budget buying the stone. I asked Lynda about French Cuts, and was very, very surprised. I'm not sure exactly how much I can say on these forums, but I strongly recommend you contact her regarding a setting for your L. I don't have my setting yet ... although I'm confident that it will be beautiful!

I did approach other vendors - VC, LM and BGD. My preference would have been for VC who responded almost instantaneously (on a Sunday!!) but as I couldn't afford it, GOG have really stepped up to the plate to help me out! I'm so excited! :appl:

firelover

Rough_Rock
OMG! You got that one... :love: ..amazing! I love it!

Well, I used up most of my budget as well! But then I am not getting a wedding band ... :shock: thats a compromise... :bigsmile: But already know what it will look like WHEN I get it. :naughty:

I have contacted Lynda @ GOG about the setting. Do you know whether its a hand forged or CAD setting? Also, did you ask her about calibrating the color of the french cuts?

I ALSO :wavey: agree with you that I found VC the best. I think he is the best of both worlds - craftmanship and that he can source antique french cut diamonds.

I can't wait to see your ring! OMG its going to huge and beautifullllllll!!!!

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
Awww ... you're such a sweetie!

Like I said, I'm not sure exactly what I can say on the forum. Speak to Lynda and she'll sort you out!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen the french cuts on jbEG? If it's in the budget can you get those and have SK do the ring and then have enough left over for a future band? :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly prefer tapered french cuts for that ring, so Victor Canera would be my choice. I think SK is very good as well, but Victor does a perfect job with that particular setting, so I wouldn't really think twice about it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you can Leon's metal work is more delicate than Victor's but the price and Leons quirks would make him a no for me. In this case since Steven can't do the tapers I'd go with Victor.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ooh I love tapered traps with squares... At half the cost i would be sold

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
firelover|1336510746|3190399 said:

Well, I used up most of my budget as well! But then I am not getting a wedding band ... :shock: thats a compromise... :bigsmile: But already know what it will look like WHEN I get it. :naughty:

I have contacted Lynda @ GOG about the setting. Do you know whether its a hand forged or CAD setting? Also, did you ask her about calibrating the color of the french cuts?

I ALSO :wavey: agree with you that I found VC the best. I think he is the best of both worlds - craftmanship and that he can source antique french cut diamonds.

Firelover - how are you getting on with the FC setting? I'm currently re-evaluating my options for my L.

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
It seems to me that there's a big difference between the look of Leon's french cuts vs Victor's french cuts. Leon's seem to have the higher crowns and have more of an antique feel (probably because they are antique) whereas Victor's are flatter and look more modern and geometric-looking (probably because he has them cut from princesses). I personally prefer Leon's, budget aside. I thought I loved french cuts but when I saw one of Victor's french cut rings, I was surprised that I wasn't drawn to it as I thought I would be. On that same token, I've never seen a Leon french cut ring in person. Just throwing my two cents in there.

firelover

Rough_Rock
CaratLover2|1336924041|3194347 said:
firelover|1336510746|3190399 said:

Firelover - how are you getting on with the FC setting? I'm currently re-evaluating my options for my L.

Still working on it...Lynda is going to get back to me...

What happened? Why did you change your mind?

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
I've never had a custom piece made before ... and I'm really worried it's not going to turn out right. I think maybe I should just relax, and give GOG time to sort out my concerns, but I've managed to work myself into a bit of a state! I got back in contact with VC and his original quote has increased - not by much, but taking everything into account, it's enough to make me really consider whether I want to head that way or not! I've spent all weekend looking at alternatives - some with a halo, some without. I'm just so confused now! I'm now thinking about finding a cheaper setting, and living with that for a while. It might give me time to get to "know" my stone and work out whether I actually want to spend the money on a FC setting.

Here are a few settings I was leaning towards - a complete turn around with regards to price I know - what do you think?

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/79PP1/

OR

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/117PP1/

starshine

Shiny_Rock
I was so excited to read this thread and see that GOG is able to source tapered french cuts, as well! Yesterday, I saw that GOG posted some pics on their FB of a custom setting they did using them! Absolutely gorgeous! I'm so glad we have yet another source for these beauties! :appl:

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
Exciting isn't it!!! I've been dying to talk about it ... but didn't want to say too much!

firelover

Rough_Rock
I emailed Lynda yesterday asking for pictures and just saw the picture on FB...OMG! :love: Awesome! Caratlover - this isnt your diamond? correct? I thought it was your diamond that was going to be the one that GOG uses for their first french cut design. Start talking now.... :naughty: ..I cant wait to hear from you.....tapping foot.

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
No, no ... this isn't mine. But I wish it was!

It was just coincidental that when I contacted GOG about a FC setting, that they let me in on what was going on. I wasn't sure whether people knew about it or not, so thought I'd best just keep quiet about it - but I just had to suggest it to you when you started talking about the FC/LM setting. I think GOG are going to get flooded with people with warm stones wanting FC settings now!! I'd actually love to see a ring, set like this, but with AVC's in the channel - could you imagine it!! O ... M .... G!! Anyway, maybe they'll bring that out one day too! But for me, that little dream won't happen any time soon!

As far as my ring goes ... there are a few things I'd like to change, and so I'm waiting to hear back from GOG as to whether my alterations can be accommodated. I hope they can, as VC/LM are just tooo expensive for me, and I really, really do want an FC setting! Hence the meltdown over the weekend!

We could end up being ring sisters in more ways than one - same cut stone, same colour, same setting!!

EDIT: spelling!

firelover

Rough_Rock
OMG ! I was thinking the same thing..about AVC's channel set in the shank..I even calculated the cost of it..because GOG now has AVC melee available...LOL...

Also, I have asked Lynda whether I can make some changes to the ring...LOL...

Holy moly! Should I just tell her "make two of whatever caratlover says"...I have begun to feel we are on the same page at the same time.....

starshine

Shiny_Rock
Love this! Can't wait to see what you both decide on. Be sure to keep us posted! Would love to know where the GOG quote came in at in comparison to the other quotes, too --- not specifics, just in relation to (like how SK was 1/2 the LM quote.) ::)

firelover

Rough_Rock
Starshine|1337192981|3196677 said:
Love this! Can't wait to see what you both decide on. Be sure to keep us posted! Would love to know where the GOG quote came in at in comparison to the other quotes, too --- not specifics, just in relation to (like how SK was 1/2 the LM quote.) ::)

LOL..starshine..thats the statisician in me..always quoting percentages or ratios...

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
Would love to know where the GOG quote came in at in comparison to the other quotes

GOG have the price for this setting on their facebook page

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
lisamarie|1336938122|3194418 said:
It seems to me that there's a big difference between the look of Leon's french cuts vs Victor's french cuts. Leon's seem to have the higher crowns and have more of an antique feel (probably because they are antique) whereas Victor's are flatter and look more modern and geometric-looking (probably because he has them cut from princesses). I personally prefer Leon's, budget aside. I thought I loved french cuts but when I saw one of Victor's french cut rings, I was surprised that I wasn't drawn to it as I thought I would be. On that same token, I've never seen a Leon french cut ring in person. Just throwing my two cents in there.

I don't know if everyone weighing this decision has already made their choice, but my OEC/french cut channel set is being fabricated by Leon right now, so I thought I would chime in. I have not seen any french cut settings in person, but from studying the french cut posts here, I see the same differences that lisamarie (and Gypsy from a few posts earlier) sees.

I am pretty frugal at heart and have probably spent less than $1000 on "real" jewelry in my 38 years. For this project, I had no set budget, yet having Leon make this really expensive setting was not a decision I took lightly! However when I decided on a french cut setting for my OEC stone, I knew it was going to be Leon who would make it, as I preferred the look of the metalwork on his ring and the high-crown french cut sidestones cut by Yoram (aka DiaGem). Even if the other choices were half the cost (I did not contact VC or SK), I would still go with Leon's version. Perhaps it's because I am not a collector or an upgrader - I don't anticipate acquiring another large piece or several small pieces of jewelry anytime soon, so I want it done "right" for me. By stating my preference for Leon's ring, I'm not knocking the other versions, nor am I knocking on those who prefer the other versions ! :) I just prefer the details and overall look of the LM. (Btw, I spent a LONG time going through the love/hate posts on working with Leon, including one very long hate thread. After reading all this, I still felt fine and comfortable working with him, and my experience so far has been totally fine). On another note, I took a look at the new GOG, I don't care for some of the details on it, so had that been a choice at the time, I wouldn't have gone with that either.

So, my advice is to study, study, study everyone's pictures and go with the version you love! If it's a matter of paying a bit more, I would do it if this is a "forever" ring.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
CaratLover2|1337229141|3197143 said:
Would love to know where the GOG quote came in at in comparison to the other quotes

I'm not seeing it - help?

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
Circe|1337364492|3198548 said:
CaratLover2|1337229141|3197143 said:

I'm not seeing it - help?

$4950. You had to scroll through the photo comments to find it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results