shape
carat
color
clarity

Forum Question

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
So if this is where all of the techy crunchy stuff is going on - what is Rocky Talky for now? It used to be for this... is it now the nooby, "Which ACA is better between these identical stones?" and "is flour (spelled intentionally wrong) bad?" forum?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sara in the long discussion about improvements this forum was one of the outcomes so that if a consumers topic was taken over by scientific debate, it could be moved here.
If you check out the threads, you will see that not much is day to day relevant.

What do you think?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As another non-expert who enjoys the discussions - I confess, I too miss having techy discussions in RT - lots of different opinions, lots of participants - once they are moved here they seem to fizzle out quickly unless they deal with one of a small number of topics that are very interesting and relevant to the Board Experts - though I *am* following the fire thread with interest!

I guess - my question is what's wrong with a consumer question being overtaken by a scientific debate? Most likely that consumer A) asked the question because he/she wanted to know more, or B) asked the question, was surprised by the apparently conflicting responses, and truly sees the complexity of whatever the issue on seeing the ensuing discussion..complete with files, pictures, and hotly worded arguments 8)

Well, my primary motive for dissatisfaction is selfish, I admit it. That fire thread is a fantastic discussion - and I have spent too many hours reading papers, articles, and my old textbooks thanks to it. But I do spend a lot of time on RT, and there are visible ramifications of having this subforum:
1) the same question is asked over and over, and I just link to the H&A thread here anyway
2) far fewer impromptu debates on random topics that caught the techies' interests on a scroll-through, which is my real objection!

On the other hand, and I know this is rather an obnoxious thing to say but I'll blurt it out anyway - this forum has its plusses. I doubt the fire thread would move so quickly into uncharted territory if there were newbies popping in every few posts to ask for the 101 on something detailed five pages back, which always does seem to happen...

I guess those of us who are finding RT rather uninspiring these days, but who don't have the resources and background/industry knowledge to participate regularly in research need to just hop-to :halo: :devil:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yssie I am sympathetic; I am not a 100% in favour of this idea.
But I promised to give it a decent try.
One additional part of the problem is that we had lost many of the experts and fine minds who particpated here - and as you see we have a few back :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1292284549|2795996 said:
One additional part of the problem is that we had lost many of the experts and fine minds who particpated here - and as you see we have a few back :appl:

and this I am thrilled to see :appl: :bigsmile:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
there are still some techy discussions going on in RT.
So far this forum is doing what I envisioned for it.
Slow moving very deep threads that attract people back that don't have time to dig out threads in RT.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1292297903|2796265 said:
there are still some techy discussions going on in RT.
So far this forum is doing what I envisioned for it.
Slow moving very deep threads that attract people back that don't have time to dig out threads in RT.

I agree with this - I understand it's need. I wonder if there is a way to have a thread simultaneously in two places? Just musing...

... because I think that the noobs who arrive who see those threads learn valuable info from them. Some of the most involved consumers started by reading those threads and may take one look at this hut and think wow okay no place for me! Where as they sometimes participate in the other threads... even if they know squat about diamonds, sometimes they ask good questions! Also, when you guys do your geekthink it's actually impressive to watch, in a way you sell your diamonds by selling your expertise. Here you're just Steve Jobs hunched over the back corner booth at dennys (I used to actually work at that restaurant, I knew the table lol).

I 100% appreciate this area for the experts. I just feel sad that future generations of ps noobs won't feel a part of this cutting edge the way I did.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1292284939|2796001 said:
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1292284549|2795996 said:

and this I am thrilled to see :appl: :bigsmile:

tritto :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1292320131|2796397 said:
This thread is a good example Sara of one that was transferred fro RT to R&D
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/h-a-vs-non-h-a-is-there-a-visual-difference.152720/ at my request.

I wonder if a post can be live on more than 1 forum?
Will ask the Bossman and Woman

I was wondering where a couple threads I'd posted in had gone... I think you have the right idea here, Storm's idea to have this forum... I think it's the right thing to do, but we may want more cross referencing to RT in the form of temp stickies or something - if it's important enough to move here, i don't see why it doesn't get a sticky until those interested have moved their butts to this new locale. Or something like that... something more than a -1 that disappears quickly in an active list with high turnover in RT.

I see that some are posting their RT questions here, so I get there are some who think they'll get a better answer here because this is where the senior geeks hang out... little do they know they'll get better answers from the prosumer crowd.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Seeing this subforum develop over the past two months, I feel very little motivation to post here.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Hello,

If I remove a thread from a certain forum and place it in another, the original thread's location, if clicked on, will send you to the new location of the thread.

Please let me know if that does not make sense.

So occasionally a title may be in two forums but the thread itself is only in one. Threads otherwise cannot be duplicated.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ella|1292338018|2796491 said:
Hello,

If I remove a thread from a certain forum and place it in another, the original thread's location, if clicked on, will send you to the new location of the thread.

So occasionally a title may be in two forums but the thread itself is only in one. Threads otherwise cannot be duplicated.

I understand this, it is just that the thread no longer gets bumped up so it quickly disappears down the list as even those who see it and respond to it are bumping it on another board, on the board where it was getting action it just quickly gets lost as all of the other threads bump up ahead of it.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Paul-Antwerp|1292336651|2796472 said:
Seeing this subforum develop over the past two months, I feel very little motivation to post here.

Can you explain this further Paul?

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Cehrabehra|1292340592|2796510 said:
Ella|1292338018|2796491 said:
Hello,

I understand this, it is just that the thread no longer gets bumped up so it quickly disappears down the list as even those who see it and respond to it are bumping it on another board, on the board where it was getting action it just quickly gets lost as all of the other threads bump up ahead of it.

I am looking to see if the original shadow thread can be bumped up also and contain the correct replies to it. It would help in being noticed and still keep things together.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Paul-Antwerp said:

I have to agree, consumer participation in this sub forum is almost non existent and threads being moved here often lose the original poster completely.

I would say a separate sticky section below the top one in RT would be much more beneficial than this sub forum to encourage participation from consumers and trade.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ChunkyCushionLover|1292367395|2796944 said:
Paul-Antwerp said:

I have to agree, consumer participation in this sub forum is almost non existent and threads being moved here often lose the original poster completely.

I would say a separate sticky section below the top one in RT would be much more beneficial than this sub forum to encourage participation from consumers and trade.

Thanks Ella and Andrey,
The other thread for the yellow in ASET is still running in RT, with a -1 beside the thread title.
The trouble is it has dropped to now 1/2 way down page 6.
It seems you can still post on it in RT too.

So Ella and Andrey - 2 questions:
1. if people subscribed in either forum, would they still recieve notifications from either or both RT or R&D?
2. Is there any way to bump the thread up in RT if a post is made from either site?

Would that help folks?

shadow thread.jpg

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1292387932|2797299 said:
ChunkyCushionLover|1292367395|2796944 said:
Paul-Antwerp said:

Thanks Ella and Andrey,
The other thread for the yellow in ASET is still running in RT, with a -1 beside the thread title.
The trouble is it has dropped to now 1/2 way down page 6.
It seems you can still post on it in RT too.

So Ella and Andrey - 2 questions:
1. if people subscribed in either forum, would they still recieve notifications from either or both RT or R&D?
2. Is there any way to bump the thread up in RT if a post is made from either site?

Would that help folks?

If you are subscribed to either one it should work.

I am looking into what the best way to deal with it.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cehrabehra|1292340659|2796513 said:
Paul-Antwerp|1292336651|2796472 said:

Can you explain this further Paul?

It feels as if the 'geeks' have been given their private playground. In that playground, they give the impression of playing together nicely, while hardly anyone is listening to or discussing with the other. It is more showing of what one thinks one knows instead of trying to clarify what one does not know in order to jointly solve that.

As a part-time-geek, I am very demotivated.

Live long,

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
All threads that are moved from RT to Diamond Research now have a shadow of it which is bumped up and includes the post count.

Clicking on it takes you to hear.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
PS Admin|1293613221|2808748 said:
All threads that are moved from RT to Diamond Research now have a shadow of it which is bumped up and includes the post count.

Clicking on it takes you to hear.
way kewl!
You rock!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Cehra~ we had a number of technical threads that deteriorated into unpleasant and nonproductive messes. The education became lost in the vitriol. After reading through a number of these 10-15 page rants, a lot of us had had enough and suggested a dedicated forum for these types of discussions. It's interesting to me that the former pot stirrers have not become overly involved in this subforum. Perhaps they did not receive enough attention here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results