shape
carat
color
clarity

Five stone art deco inspired setting for my OECs

pixies

Shiny_Rock
I've been holding out on everyone. I posted back in February about a five stone ring I bought of ebay. I had to find one replacement stone though. I bought two OECs to see which would work best. One of the contenders was supposed to be 4.1mm but was more like 4mm according to my digital calipers. That made my decision easier. However, this left me with a poor orphan OEC so of course I had to find it a friend! I bought another 4mm OEC, and I'm getting them set into bezel studs soon.

The diamonds I kept for the ring range from 4.22-4.08mm. The replacement stone is a bit warmer than the other four but hopefully that will be negligible since the stones are bezel set.

A few naked pictures first :lol:
The orphan sneaked into this first picture (totally blurry though).

Please forgive me for the awful pics. I was in the midst of moving, had poor lighting, and it is hard getting five small stones facing the same way at once (wah wah wah). They are also coated in fingerprints and gem box fuzz.

I'll make up for it with lots of nice, focused macro pics once I get my ring! Small loose stones make me nervous :errrr: . I dropped these while taking pictures. Luckily, there were no casualties! I sent these babies off ASAP after that.

loose1aa.jpg

oecproject3.jpg

loose2.jpg

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stones! Can't wait to see the ring: I bet it'll be gorgeous!!!
:wavey:

pixies

Shiny_Rock
I'd been lusting over this antique art deco ring on Ruby Lane:

I loved the face of the ring but wanted something different for the shank and profile. I wanted my piece to have more of a band look (if that makes any sense). This called for a more substantial shank instead of the dainty cathedral the original ring had. I wanted the shank to meld/flow straight into the bezel.

fivestone1.26ct.png

RGA16993V.5L.jpg

size6.75 1.25.jpg

pixies

Shiny_Rock
I decided to go with David Klass for this project. We went through three rounds of CADs before I approved them last month. I held off on posting them here because I wanted to see vendor pictures first since we haven't seen much of his stuff around here. I had seen recent work of his on another forum that was lovely so I felt at peace with my choice.

I got the final vendor pictures today and approved so the ring will be getting shipped out tomorrow!

Etc:

Like many art deco style rings, it called for calibre-cut gems. I contemplated using rounds but felt that if I did that I should use diamonds. I really wanted that splash of color the sapphires would provide so I ponied up for the custom cut sapphires. The sapphires were hand cut to fit the ring. It ended up being .40cts of natural blue sapphire.

pixies

Shiny_Rock
My CADs:

My ring had to be recast because the space for the sapphires was too small for the size of sapphires David thought would work well. I didn't see another set of cads but I'm sure it was close enough to be representative of the final product. All the milgrain was added by hand after the fact so that wasn't reflected in the CADs. The bezels were to be embellished with milgrain. I asked for double milgrain in the gallery like the Beverly K pieces I posted.

dkcad1a.jpg

dkcad4d.jpg

dkcad2b.jpg

pixies

Shiny_Rock
Finally, the vendor pictures!

Picture quality isn't the best but I will start a thread in SMTB after I receive the ring with plenty of pictures of better quality. I'm really excited to get it. David was able to capture the band feel I wanted. I'm so pleased with how it all came together!

dkring2.jpg

dkring1.jpg

dkring4.jpg

dkring3.jpg

pixies

Shiny_Rock
My only concern is this:

The inspiration ring from Ruby Lane has stones that are a bit smaller than mine, and that ring was a size 6.75. I had my ring made in a size 4.25. I think I am pushing the limit of what will fit across the top of my finger with just the stones, let alone the bezels :cheeky:. It looks like the stones are pushed up away from the sides of my fingers so hopefully it won't rub. We shall see, I suppose!

My JbEG ring is a 4.25 and is too loose on me now. I probably should have ordered this in a size 4 as this is an alternate e-ring/anniversary ring but I liked having the option of wearing it on my right hand. I don't think I'll be doubling up on bling that often though.

Perhaps since this is a wider ring it won't be too loose. If I do decide to size it down, I'll just send it in when I get my other diamonds set into earrings. That was probably the hardest part of this project, picking the ring size! I think my only fear in sizing rings down is that my fingers swell when I fly but I should probably keep them sized for here on earth so that I don't lose one lol.
Wearing a thin band with this ring, yay or nay?

That is the end of my novel! I can't wait to share more pictures once I finally get my ring.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW - you sure WERE holding out on us!!! HOLY OEC JACKPOT!!! That is stunning --- STUNNING!!!! I am very excited to see the hand shots - and you're reaction when you see this baby in person. Mine was jaw dropping seeing on the monitor - I hopeyou have 911 on hold!! :lol:

Love your setting choice - I've never seen those sapphire details like that before - it is awesome! and no, I do NOT think this need anything at all alongside it. This is completely a stand alone ring - IMO!

Enjoy it - can't wait for the next round of pics!!!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is going to be a very stunning OEC 5 stone ring. I have loved the inspiration ring as well. I can't wait to hear what you think when you get it.

David Klass made the halo that I bought for my Padparadscha and the quality is VERY nice!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
wow! This is gorgeous, I can't wait to see hand shots!! :love: I'll be waiting for your SMTB thread!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG...you have been holding out! Your ring looks gorgeous! I cant wait to see some hand shots. Great job!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, I absolutely love it! I've had this vague idea of getting a 5 stone oec ring for some time and when I saw yours, I thought I want one just like that! I would wear it on its own, I think, with no band.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh my gosh that is stunning!!! I love art deco pieces; that looks fabulous :love: :love: I love sapphires and diamonds together! :appl:

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
The ring looks amazing! I really love the sapphires embedded around the OECs. I am sure that it will be just as beautiful in real life!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow pixies, that is one gorgeous ring! You did good girl!! :love: Can't wait to see hand shots!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
I loved the pisc of the inspiration ring when you posted it, but your new creation is even more stunning! The changes you made to the shank and basket are perfect! Can't wait to see hand pics!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Wow - that is STUNNING! Congratulations! I debated going to David Klass for my wedding band since he's local but hadn't seen anything art deco he had made. Wow - he definitely has the skill level to execute - good to know! Those sapphires - WOW! I can imagine the mess some other jewelers could have made out of this design and it is gorgeous and well done! Who was it with the N colored AVC that wanted an art deco ring with ruby inserts? I think she just found the vendor!

I think I'll go to him for my "aqua" art deco ring! May I ask price range without getting nosy? Like...Bev K level pricing or Tacori level pricing? ;-)

Edit: I wanted to add that you may want to add sizing balls so you can wear it on both hands. :)

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous 5 stone ring!!! Wow!! :love:

Can`t wait for the hand shots!!!

Cachette :))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
There simply are not enough expletives to cover my opinions on this ring. HOLY. HELL. THIS IS AMAZEBALLS.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!!! What a beautiful design. I love the milgrain and sapphires. I am inspired!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful, fabulous amazing! That is a most beautiful "old" new ring!!! It has promptly been stashed in my someday someday folder!!
Love it!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

I saw that setting on ruby lane a while back and thought it was one of the most beautiful 5-stones I've seen. Your ring is beautiful and I can't wait to see more pics!!!!!!!!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amazing!

The profile of the ring looks like it will be low enough that if its between your fingers it might not bother you. My Aurora is a half eternity as well, rather than a true five stone where the gems sit on top only, and it is comfortable to wear. It just took a little getting used to.

Sizing, better big than small, and you can stack it! It would look great stacked you might just have to play around to find the right stacking pieces.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results