shape
carat
color
clarity

Fans of Vintage/Milgrain/Engraving/Pave - Need your opinions

jkozlow3

Rough_Rock
I could really use some opinions here. Some potentially useful background info is below (skip to the questions and pics at the bottom if you have a short attention span :) )

I've got a beautiful .904 carat AGS 0 stone sitting at Whiteflash waiting to be set. I'm not particularly in a hurry as I'm not planning on proposing for awhile however, so I want to make the right decision on the setting. I've shown my girlfriend a million and one settings to find out what she likes and I'd like to keep what I will be purchasing a surprise from here on out (she has no idea I've already bought the stone).

Initially, she kept coming back to the Whiteflash Sleekline Legato as her favorite setting after looking at tons of settings online and in person over the course of a couple of weeks. We both really like how it tapers in towards the head and find the Legato head more interesting than most alternatives.

However, I could tell that she wanted a little something "more" in the setting. Ultimately, after looking at lots more pics of various settings this led to her saying that she thought she'd prefer the Sleekline Legato with some milgrain added. Whiteflash promptly sent over some pics and she said that she thought the milgrain was just the extra touch that she was looking for.

Of course, I had to keep pushing it and showing her more and more settings I found online and I think her new favorite settings might be similar to the BlueNile and Gabriel & Co settings I've added pictures of below. These 2 settings are somewhat similar to the Sleekline Legato but add milgrain all around (vs. just around the pave) as well as engraving. At the end of the day, I think she'd be happy with any of them, but I want to get her what she'll be the happiest with.

I much prefer the head on the Legato over the other 2 rings and BlueNile doesn't sell settings separately anyway. The Gabriel & Co setting is only listed as available in WG and I definitely want to purchase platinum. Whiteflash informed me that they can add both the milgrain and hand engraving to their Legato Sleekline for what I consider a fair price, essentially making the Sleekline Legato look a lot more like the BlueNile and Gabriel & Co settings. I have a few reservations/questions and would like to hear your thoughts however.

Questions:
1. First and foremost, what is your opinion of the simpler Legato + milgrain around the pave vs. the 2 other settings with milgrain around the entire ring + engraving?
2. Is one more timeless/trendy (do I need to worry about her tiring of it more easily)?
3. Wouldn't milgrain all around the edge of the ring create issues when worn with the matching wedding band (also with milgrain)? I will ultimately purchase a matching band when the time comes and it seems like milgrain around the pave only might be better than around the entire sides of the shank (inner and outer edge) when the 2 rings are pressed against each other. Wouldn't this cause the milgrain to wear down fairly quickly?
4. Can milgrain around the entire edge of the ring create any comfort issues?
5. Am I forgetting anything...another option possibly?

Please help me with this decision...thanks so much!

Sleekline Legato with Milgrain (also a couple of pics without milgrain to better show the head and matching band):

wf4.jpg
wf2_0.jpg
wf3.jpg
_268.jpg
wfpair.jpg
wfhead.jpg

BlueNile setting with tapered head, pave, milgrain, engraving:

bn1.jpg
bn2_0.jpg

Gabriel & Co. setting with tapered head, pave, milgrain, engraving:

gb1.jpg
_268_0.jpg
_268_1.jpg
gb4.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Fans of Vintage/Milgrain/Engraving/Pave - Need your opin

I like plain, non engraved version. You can't stop a woman getting tired of it. She either will or she won't.... Milgrain shouldn't wear, it can always be done again, I think. Shouldn't be uncomfortable, either, but it may take a few days to get used wearing it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jkozlow3|1343101529|3238906 said:
Initially, she kept coming back to the Whiteflash Sleekline Legato as her favorite setting after looking at tons of settings online and in person over the course of a couple of weeks. We both really like how it tapers in towards the head and find the Legato head more interesting than most alternatives.

However, I could tell that she wanted a little something "more" in the setting. Ultimately, after looking at lots more pics of various settings this led to her saying that she thought she'd prefer the Sleekline Legato with some milgrain added. Whiteflash promptly sent over some pics and she said that she thought the milgrain was just the extra touch that she was looking for.

Of course, I had to keep pushing it and showing her more and more settings I found online and I think her new favorite settings might be similar to the BlueNile and Gabriel & Co settings I've added pictures of below.

Uhm... she's the one who's going to be wearing the ring, right?

Sorry, I just had to get that out of my system! :wink2:

The Legato is a beautiful, sleek look with the pave and milgrain adding just a touch of old-fashioned romance. Since your girlfriend seems to prefer sleek, I'd stop right there.

The first blue nile setting you showed is very nice, but... see above. The engraving is nice but not for everyone. Unless your girlfriend has made it clear that she'd prefer an engraved band, I'd stick with door no. 1.

The second Gabriel and co. setting is too busy IMHO.

move1986

Shiny_Rock

JulieN|1343105086|3238922 said:
I like plain, non engraved version. You can't stop a woman getting tired of it. She either will or she won't.... Milgrain shouldn't wear, it can always be done again, I think. Shouldn't be uncomfortable, either, but it may take a few days to get used wearing it.

i agree too. Did you let her know that u r going to buy the matching wedding band when the time comes? two row of diamond melee band will have a lot of details already. if engraved version wouldn't it look a bit complicated when wear both together?

I dunno or maybe she like more details in the rings. You should double check with her again just in case. :D

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock

Agree with previous post. Door #1... Hands down!!
It's beautiful, elegant, "antiquey" and not too busy. I love vintage-style, but I think the engraving is a bit much and would get old.
Just my opinion.

Good luck, and beautiful choice!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

I agree with the others, the engraving is a distraction rather than an improvement. I also think that I would hold off purchasing the wedding band at the same time. Let her spend some time with her ering, she may decide that she'd like something different and not so matchy matchy, and if not, you know where to find the matching ring. :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The Legato Sleekline is superior to both of the other rings, in my opinion, so I am glad they are able to do the pave shank and the milgrain. I think that is a gorgeous setting! I would not add engraving on that one. You really can't see that much anyway when they are on. You definitely will want the matching wedding band when the time comes, so as long as they can milgrain that, too, you should be fine!

I'd ask them to make this ring in 90%platinum/10%iridium or 95%platinum/5%ruthenium because they are more scratch resistant than the typical 95%plat/5iridium. I paid a little more for a special wg alloy for earrings recently and I think it is well worth it in the long run.

Oh, and to answer one of your questions, the milgrain on the Legato e-ring and wedding band should not even touch each other, so you don't need to worry about that.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Well I guess I'm the odd (wo)man out on this one but I like the Gabriel & Co setting the best out of the 3. I don't really care for the Blue Nile one and I think the Legato tapers a little *too* much, I like how the diamonds come up closer to the head on the Gabriel setting.

I think the decision of smooth vs. milgrain only vs. milgrain & engraving should be made by your gf, as all are lovely but it really comes down to personal preference.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

WF can hand engrave the Legato for you. I think it will stand the test of time and I think she would like it. That's what I'd do.

jkozlow3

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1343138273|3238998 said:
The Legato Sleekline is superior to both of the other rings, in my opinion, so I am glad they are able to do the pave shank and the milgrain. I think that is a gorgeous setting! I would not add engraving on that one. You really can't see that much anyway when they are on. You definitely will want the matching wedding band when the time comes, so as long as they can milgrain that, too, you should be fine!

I'd ask them to make this ring in 90%platinum/10%iridium or 95%platinum/5%ruthenium because they are more scratch resistant than the typical 95%plat/5iridium. I paid a little more for a special wg alloy for earrings recently and I think it is well worth it in the long run.

Oh, and to answer one of your questions, the milgrain on the Legato e-ring and wedding band should not even touch each other, so you don't need to worry about that.

I was actually already planning on having them do a custom 90/10 Iridium mix. It seems WF will do just about anything you ask!

As for the milgrain concern - I wasn't concerned about it rubbing UNLESS I had them add milgrain to the sides like on the BlueNile and Gabriel & Co. settings. But I agree that it wouldn't rub if they simply add milgrain around the pave like in the Legato pics I posted.

At this point I'm leaning toward the Legato with milgrain around the pave only (no engraving) since that seems to be the consensus of the majority of those who've posted. Does anyone else think the Sleekline Legato tapers *too* much like stargurl78 said? It does seem that the diamonds don't come quite as high up as on other similar settings - not sure if this will look funny in person or not.

Thanks again everyone - keep the opinions coming!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think you are making a mistake. You lady loves the engraved rings. It doesn't matter if one million people on this, or any other, site say they would prefer the setting without the engraving. Because none of them will be wearing it. Only your lady's opinion matters on something like this. It's purely a matter of taste and aesthetics, and she's the authority on hers. This is also good practice for marriage, just as a side note. If my husband ever told me that someone else's wife preferred X or the Y that I liked, on something that was for me to wear my response would be, "Well, you should have married her then. But you didn't. So we'll be getting Y." :tongue:

I personally do not have one piece with engraving and YES, personally I would not get engraving on that setting. Or any other. But it's completely irrelevant what my personal tastes are on this. Engraving doesn't affect quality or structure, it's purely a matter of taste. Honor hers by getting what she would like. She will be wearing it and her happiness is all that matters.

jkozlow3

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1343165248|3239267 said:
I think you are making a mistake. You lady loves the engraved rings. It doesn't matter if one million people on this, or any other, site say they would prefer the setting without the engraving. Because none of them will be wearing it. Only your lady's opinion matters on something like this. It's purely a matter of taste and aesthetics, and she's the authority on hers. This is also good practice for marriage, just as a side note. If my husband ever told me that someone else's wife preferred X or the Y that I liked, on something that was for me to wear my response would be, "Well, you should have married her then. But you didn't. So we'll be getting Y." :tongue:

I personally do not have one piece with engraving and YES, personally I would not get engraving on that setting. Or any other. But it's completely irrelevant what my personal tastes are on this. Engraving doesn't affect quality or structure, it's purely a matter of taste. Honor hers by getting what she would like. She will be wearing it and her happiness is all that matters.

Fair enough. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say she "loves" engraved rings however. Yes, she liked them when she saw the pics I showed her, but she also liked the Legato Sleekline with milgrain quite a bit when I showed her those pics originally. She might be leaning slightly towards the engraved settings with all the extra milgrain at the moment, but I don't know that it's by a landslide or anything. She did say that she quite liked and would probably be happy with any of them when I point blank asked her a few days ago, so it's not a completely cut and dry decision.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

If she knows this much already, simplify and ask her point blank. All other things equal: would you rather have engraving or no engraving.

sjrock

Rough_Rock

jkozlow3|1343163880|3239259 said:
diamondseeker2006|1343138273|3238998 said:

I was actually already planning on having them do a custom 90/10 Iridium mix. It seems WF will do just about anything you ask!

As for the milgrain concern - I wasn't concerned about it rubbing UNLESS I had them add milgrain to the sides like on the BlueNile and Gabriel & Co. settings. But I agree that it wouldn't rub if they simply add milgrain around the pave like in the Legato pics I posted.

At this point I'm leaning toward the Legato with milgrain around the pave only (no engraving) since that seems to be the consensus of the majority of those who've posted. Does anyone else think the Sleekline Legato tapers *too* much like stargurl78 said? It does seem that the diamonds don't come quite as high up as on other similar settings - not sure if this will look funny in person or not.

Thanks again everyone - keep the opinions coming!

I don't have a Whiteflash ring, but mine is the Sleek Micro Pave with Milgrain from Brian Gavin Diamonds. I think they're quite similar measurement-wise, but obviously not exactly the same. I wanted the milgrain because I loved how delicate it looked in the pictures, and wanted a ring that had some taper to it because I felt like it would draw attention to the center diamond and accentuate it. I agree with everyone else here; you should probably go with what your gf likes best, but to be honest, it's such a tough choice with so many options out there! I think something you should keep in mind is that these pictures are SO magnified that details like milgrain, which seem like a deal breaker, aren't really visible to anyone else, or even yourself at an arm's length. Do I love the milgrain on my ring? Absolutely! Can I even see it in pictures I take with my fiancée? Nope. You might not love the engraving, but like someone else said, she has to wear it...and you won't really be able to see it when she has it on anyway :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results