shape
carat
color
clarity

?? eternity ring concerns

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I need some help with some thinking.....

I am thinking about an eternity ring for myself, after seeing Rod Steward do an interview, i said to myself- i like that ring!!!!
THese are my thoughts at the moment.

i do like the claw setting v channel setting. the claw setting shows off the diamonds more.
I like the white gold setting better. it is to sit next to my other white gold ring. It isn't a great photo- i used my iphone.

the choice of full or 1/2 or 3/4. i like the full as i have a broken knuckle so what this will mean is that i need a bigger ring size to fit over the knuckle and therefore the ring will spin; hence my choice of a full eternity ring.

However, my questions are:
1) do the diamonds fall out in the claw setting?
2) do the diamonds get chipped on the one side that gets the use from everyday work
3) i understand that resizing will be an issue with the full.
4) there may be some discomfort of the full setting- the claw and the diamonds will rub against other the fingers- do any of the full eternity ring wearers have any issue with that?
5) i am thinking of at most 2ctw for the entire eternity ring. anymore will look too blingy, and i am not into too much bling.LOL

Any thoughts on the above or others that i may not have considered would be appreciated.

Thanx

photo__1_6.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) do the diamonds fall out in the claw setting?

They shouldn't fall out if the ring is treated with care.

2) do the diamonds get chipped on the one side that gets the use from everyday work

I wouldn't do any work with diamond rings on, especially those with exposed girdles. The channel set band would offer much more protection for the diamonds.

3) i understand that resizing will be an issue with the full.

Right, you can't really resize with full eternity.

4) there may be some discomfort of the full setting- the claw and the diamonds will rub against other the fingers- do any of the full eternity ring wearers have any issue with that?

I vastly prefer a channel set ring for a man and I think it would be more comfortable and protect the diamonds more. I think a prong setting is more fragile and feminine looking.

5) i am thinking of at most 2ctw for the entire eternity ring. anymore will look too blingy, and i am not into too much bling.LOL

I think that would be plenty large especially if channel set. You might even consider square cut stones in a channel set band since it would have no gaps between stones.

http://www.thefacetscollection.com/Platinum-Channel-Set-Eternity-Band-28-Princess-Cut-Diamonds-178ct-tw-E-F-color-VVS-VS-clarity/3761.html

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey GC! Sounds like an awesome bling fest on your finger - cool!!

I'd second the idea of a more masculine channel set diamond ring. What about a 1/2 or 3/4 eternity and have sizing balls put in there to get it over the knuckle, yet stabilize in place? or a euro shank so it will remain upright.

How about one of the step cut styles? Asscher, EC, princess or even radiants? Interesting options out there - sounds like an exciting project for you - can't wait to follow along the progress :bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When well set, diamonds should fall out of a prong set eternity ring. It should also be comfortable to wear unless the diamonds are huge. :bigsmile: Wearing an eternity band while doing manual work definitely increases the risk of diamonds getting chipped from any side, so I would only wear it with care. 3/4 eternity is a good idea for any future resizing issues. BTW, I haven't seen any men's prong set eternity ring. Does anyone have any links or pictures?

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
If you don't want to babysit your ring a channel set eternity ring is the best way to go!

I have an eternity ring with girdles exposed but I take extra care of it all the time: I take it off several times a day whenever I have to do some manual work and also to sleep at night, just in case...and I know I may still loose one of those tiny diamonds someday :|

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1348503583|3273715 said:
When well set, diamonds should fall out of a prong set eternity ring. It should also be comfortable to wear unless the diamonds are huge. :bigsmile: Wearing an eternity band while doing manual work definitely increases the risk of diamonds getting chipped from any side, so I would only wear it with care. 3/4 eternity is a good idea for any future resizing issues. BTW, I haven't seen any men's prong set eternity ring. Does anyone have any links or pictures?

There are no mens prong set eternity ring that i have seen :(

Mens eternity that i have seen have been channel set and they don't speak to me as much as the prong settings as they show off the diamonds more. (In Australia, the prong setting is called the claw setting). I dont really like too much bling and the diamond that i am leaning towards is the asscher, in a prong setting (see below for the pictures) or combination of the princess and baguette in channel, so that it reduces the bling. LOL

This is going to be a <5 yr project, so doing all the research for it.

The ring that popped out of the screen for me is:

There are also this:

or the channel setting with princesses and baguettes :
or channel with asscher but the more i look at this, the less i like :

Yes, there are many options to think about... just getting ideas together....
I may have to forgo the prong setting.... i wear my ring all the time. it never comes off unless i go for a massage or a swim. So, i will treat the eternity the same...ie wear it all the time.

Any thoughts????

_1022.jpg

princes_and_baguettes.jpg

asscher_channel.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1348502149|3273696 said:
Hey GC! Sounds like an awesome bling fest on your finger - cool!!

I'd second the idea of a more masculine channel set diamond ring. What about a 1/2 or 3/4 eternity and have sizing balls put in there to get it over the knuckle, yet stabilize in place? or a euro shank so it will remain upright.

How about one of the step cut styles? Asscher, EC, princess or even radiants? Interesting options out there - sounds like an exciting project for you - can't wait to follow along the progress :bigsmile:

Have not heard of size balls or euro shank. searched it and either would be fine, i guess depending on the ring.

Yes, my favourite cut of diamond have been princesses, but i have seen asschers and i love them... then the next thing i see is the octavia- i am in love again!!! Swoon.. LOL....

I have posted some pics of the designs that i do like and my current thoughts...

Love PS- so much wealth of knowledge.

Gotta start saving!!!!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1348547594|3274115 said:
Have you checked out the mend eye candy thread? There are several diamond-rich rings on there!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mens-bling-eyecandy-folder.116617/

Yes, there is one on there that i absolutely love and now in saving mode for that one. its the tension setting with the asscher. It came up on google search images...It was this picture that i started to fall in love with the asscher...:)

Will look at the rest of the pages for more inspiration...

but have an eternity stuck in my mind....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A step cut eternity will be less showy but if you plan to wear the ring 24/7, then a claw set eternity is not recommended.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1348575190|3274205 said:
A step cut eternity will be less showy but if you plan to wear the ring 24/7, then a claw set eternity is not recommended.

Thanx - will rethink the channel setting...and the diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even a channel set ring shouldn't be worn 24/7. But I would buy platinum. And it would definitely need to be channel set if you were wearing it a lot.

Oh, and that Sasha Primak ring looks nice for a man as well.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1348583174|3274286 said:
Even a channel set ring shouldn't be worn 24/7. But I would buy platinum. And it would definitely need to be channel set if you were wearing it a lot.

Oh, and that Sasha Primak ring looks nice for a man as well.

I am now thinking that 1/2 or 3/4 channel setting or the sasha primak may be the way to go. I like the asscher cut diamonds, and i think the semi bezel will sit nicely in this setting....... hmmmmm

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think asschers would be great on an eternity for a man. Still sparkly and beautiful, but because of the geometric lines and squareness, more masculine than a round diamond.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the Sasha Primak collet (open) bezel setting with asschers. Elegant, masculine and most importantly, wearable, especially in a half eternity style.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
HEre are my top picks for a gents eternity ring...

oops it sent before i could attach more pictures.
I have tried the prong setting and it tends to rub against the other fingers compared to the channel setting.

the only concern i have with the asscher is that the unique-ness of the corners will be lost in the channel setting, hence going with the carre instead.

carre_0.jpg

princes_and_0.jpg

wb96_2_p_633880995383616190.png

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
*GASP*! GC - I was in AWE over the first pic---YUMMY! I love that one! I think the asscher gives a more masculine look and the channel setting is st-st-st-STUNNING!!! Oh, I hope you pick that one!

DId you look into the idea of sizing beads inside? Gets the eternity over your knuckle and hopefully keeps it from spinning too much when properly in place. I do not have a skinny finger issue (sad sigh...) so can't give actual experience on that.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1349055651|3277142 said:
*GASP*! GC - I was in AWE over the first pic---YUMMY! I love that one! I think the asscher gives a more masculine look and the channel setting is st-st-st-STUNNING!!! Oh, I hope you pick that one!

DId you look into the idea of sizing beads inside? Gets the eternity over your knuckle and hopefully keeps it from spinning too much when properly in place. I do not have a skinny finger issue (sad sigh...) so can't give actual experience on that.

Hi Enerhi,

yes, i did look into the beads but wonder if that is going to affect the clean look of the diamonds, as they sit on the inside of the ring. I am partial to the euro shank- has a square look and perhaps more masculine look to it, when you look from the palm side!!!!!

the carre eternity ring is the front runner at the moment. maybe a 1/2 or 3/4 eternity v full eternity. I wear my rings (one posted above and my russian wedder which is RHR) all the time so the thought of having to remove them to work etc, esp the broken knuckle, is a problem. i think a 2ctw is the most i will go. anything more will be too much to go with the other ring i have.

I do like the look of the princess and baguette channel setting. i went to a chain jeweller and they had this ring and it looked really nice. But then i wanted something differnt. Guys wearing diamond rings are rare, well in PErth Western Australia anyway; so i want the ring to be different.

The last one is great too as i love the asscher and this bezel setting will be able to show it off.... maybe i should do a poll, if i know how.... may have to start another thread....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results