shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald-cut experts -- bent-top rectangular square cut?

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't know too much about this particular cut. However, I have purchased from this vendor before and they have a fabulous return policy. 30 days, money back and free return shipping. I was pleased with the diamond I got and it was true to description. You could always buy it just to see if you like it and return it if you don't. Hope someone else can chime in with more technical information about this stone.

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, ihy138. It's helpful to know that this vendor is easy to deal with.

Bumping this thread for Karl and others with expertise on emerald cuts!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I have been emailing this vendor about a smaller item and he took about ten days to answer my email. Fortekitty also said he was a total non-responsive pain when she wanted to return something. The emerald cut in question is rather odd. I bet it was originally designed to be an accent piece like in the bail of a pendant. What's odd? It had no cut corners (essentially a baguette) and the depth and table are ridiculously large and thus the angles are going to be different that a normal emerald cut. My personal taste in step cuts is a 65-70% depth and a table 63% or smaller. I would fudge on those numbers a bit if the diamond was heavily discounted like some on ebay can be. The problem with the diamond in question is that it will face up tiny tiny tiny like it's 15 points smaller than it is and the large table and the angles that accompany it will give the stone a glassy/mirror type look.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1324330894|3084795 said:
I have been emailing this vendor about a smaller item and he took about ten days to answer my email. Fortekitty also said he was a total non-responsive pain when she wanted to return something. The emerald cut in question is rather odd. I bet it was originally designed to be an accent piece like in the bail of a pendant. What's odd? It had no cut corners (essentially a baguette) and the depth and table are ridiculously large and thus the angles are going to be different that a normal emerald cut. My personal taste in step cuts is a 65-70% depth and a table 63% or smaller. I would fudge on those numbers a bit if the diamond was heavily discounted like some on ebay can be. The problem with the diamond in question is that it will face up tiny tiny tiny like it's 15 points smaller than it is and the large table and the angles that accompany it will give the stone a glassy/mirror type look.

Yikes! I should have added that I didn't actually attempt to return the stone. Good to know.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting.
That is the first time I have seen a diamond cut like that.
I have seen a few gemstones cut that way.
With the high RI of diamond it should be interesting.
I will see if Yoram/DiaGem can check in, he may know more.

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, kelpie and Karl.

I checked the diamond's dimensions, and, you're right, kelpie, it is really small for its carat weight. It makes sense that this diamond may have been an accent stone in a brooch or pendant from the Art Deco period. Thanks for sharing your experiences with this vendor. Too bad he doesn't have a better track record because he's got a lot of loose emerald cut and baguette stones, many of them with GIA reports.

The photo makes it look really flat and dark. So, yes, Karl, I'd be interested in hearing more about how the cut would affect the look of the stone.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
basically what I found out is they are still being cut occasionally for accent stones for designers.
Performance even with optimal angles isn't anything special.
A well cut EC or SE/Asscher would be a better option.

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Karl, for the additional information. I guess if I needed a funky accent stone for the end of a chain, this would be perfect. But kind of a dud for other uses. I'd love to see a better photo of the facets on the top of the diamond, just for curiosity's sake.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I recently saw a friend's 3 stone ring from Columbia that was set with 3 clear bent-top rectangles. I assumed they were diamonds, but I did not ask. The stones were not very sparkly, and if someone had told me they were white sapphires, I would have believed them. Maybe the diamonds were dirty?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results