shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL USA or GIA to cert OEC?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I know that with round brilliants, GIA is the better choice for sure, but what about certing an OEC? Isn't EGL the lab of choice for old cuts?

I have an OEC that I'd like to get certed and am wondering which lab would be best.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LS, you are going to get different opinions regarding this question but my vote is GIA. EGL varies all over the board whereas GIA is more consistent IMO when it comes to this issue. With GIA I know what the color/clarity is but with EGL well it varies.

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
I second GIA; I had my OEC certified there before purchase. I wanted to know what GIA's opinion of color and cut were (I.e., that the stone's dimensions did indeed fall within the GIA parameters of OEC) and I wanted to be able to easily and confidently compare color to other stones that were also GIA-graded. I trust my eyes, but wanted the verification from more experienced (and probably younger!) eyes and I was very familiar and comfy with GIA's grading system.

I totally respect others' views to send stones to EGL. For me, it was worth it to unmount the stone and send it to GIA.

(Bear in mind, though, that this was before the recent lengthy turnaround times for grading at GIA; in 2012, it took only 3 weeks for grading my OEC but just last fall, GIA took 6+ weeks to grade another stone I sent in.)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
LS,

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here and I think I'm stating this correctly, but prior to 2013 GIA didn't have a category for old cuts. They would cert it as a round brilliant, which you can't compare. So EGL certs were considered just fine for old cuts because at least EGL would cert OEC, OMC, antique cushions against their correct category. Now GIA does have categories for old cuts or at least names them correctly. So GIA seems to be the lab of choice now. I would do GIA.

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
SB, I don't mean to quibble about dates -- but my understanding (which may be wrong) is that GIA did start calling certain stones Old European Cut back in October of 2009. These stones have to meet certain criteria/angles that GIA determined after discussions with the trade.

Then just this past fall in October 2013, they added a third category for round brilliant stones, that of Circular Brilliant Cut. These stones must meet 2 different criteria; they are what are frequently called transitional cuts. So now there are 3 potential terms used to describe round brilliant stones at GIA.

I just know that when my stone was graded in mid-2012, it came back with OEC on the GIA report. I was told (and then read) of the 2009 Old Euro addition to the cut terminology. FYI...doesn't change the conclusion here, just wanted to add what I knew of how the naming works now.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
gemmyblond|1391529198|3607665 said:
SB, I don't mean to quibble about dates -- but my understanding (which may be wrong) is that GIA did start calling certain stones Old European Cut back in October of 2009. These stones have to meet certain criteria/angles that GIA determined after discussions with the trade.

Then just this past fall in October 2013, they added a third category for round brilliant stones, that of Circular Brilliant Cut. These stones must meet 2 different criteria; they are what are frequently called transitional cuts. So now there are 3 potential terms used to describe round brilliant stones at GIA.

I just know that when my stone was graded in mid-2012, it came back with OEC on the GIA report. I was told (and then read) of the 2009 Old Euro addition to the cut terminology. FYI...doesn't change the conclusion here, just wanted to add what I knew of how the naming works now.

Gemmy they might have. All I know is the 5 OEC's and my AC were not given old cuts grades at all (graded between 2009-2012). When I called GIA about a dispute over a clarify grade for my MRB they happen to say that old cuts grades would be offical by end of 2013. This is from the NY office.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I would send it in to GIA. Even if it doesn't get the OEC designation, people can still see that it's an old cut. I rather know exactly what the other grades are!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ForteKitty|1391533146|3607706 said:
I would send it in to GIA. Even if it doesn't get the OEC designation, people can still see that it's an old cut. I rather know exactly what the other grades are!
+1

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
yennyfire|1391534447|3607717 said:
+1

+2!

If I already know myself it's an old cut, I don't especially care if it's written on a piece of paper or not. But what I do want to know is the right color and clarity, and a good plot of inclusions. I'd definitely send to GIA (and I have several times in the past, though I always paid double to get their 1-day service, I couldn't stand to wait for over a month to have my stone back).

SB621

Ideal_Rock
GemFever|1391539954|3607760 said:
+1

+2!

If I already know myself it's an old cut, I don't especially care if it's written on a piece of paper or not. But what I do want to know is the right color and clarity, and a good plot of inclusions. I'd definitely send to GIA (and I have several times in the past, though I always paid double to get their 1-day service, I couldn't stand to wait for over a month to have my stone back).

Gem send to the NYC office. I have never waited more then a week though it always says 4-6 weeks.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SB621|1391540435|3607765 said:
+1

+2!

Gem send to the NYC office. I have never waited more then a week though it always says 4-6 weeks.
I just got back a stone this morning, February 4. I sent it in for a client on November 14.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
denverappraiser|1391541436|3607773 said:
SB621|1391540435|3607765 said:
+1

+2!

I just got back a stone this morning, February 4. I sent it in for a client on November 14.

Really I sent 1 in on Oct and it took longer to get there (love registered mail :rolleyes: ) then it took for them to grade. I had the report number within 5 business days. I have always found them very speedy.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, maybe it's just me. I have another one sent in November 20 that isn't back yet.
I ship these things out overnight and get the returns by registered mail because of the way my insurance works.
NYC to Denver is about 5 days.

We're talking GIA, right? EGL-USA is MUCH faster.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
denverappraiser|1391543570|3607791 said:
Well, maybe it's just me. I have another one sent in November 20 that isn't back yet.
I ship these things out overnight and get the returns by registered mail because of the way my insurance works.
NYC to Denver is about 5 days.

We're talking GIA, right? EGL-USA is MUCH faster.

I just sent in a stone in the second week of January to the LA lab. Just got the results back today so they are going to print and ship since I agreed with the paper. It was a pear shaped F-IF that had been worn for years, still an IF, so I guess my ciient's mom really was easy on her hands.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results