shape
carat
color
clarity

Down to two square cushion H&As -- help help!

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
Dear PSers!

You guys know a lot. I know very little, but I'm learning slowly. :read: Unfortunately, it's time to make some real choices, so we humbly turn to the experts for some guidance! Some ideas! Some creative thinking! Please?

We made a pilgrimage to GOG and weeded through lots and lots of shapes, until we hit on the square cushion H&As -- so pretty. But, so fancy! How do you evaluate which candidate is better? By better, I just want a diamond that will be better "cut" (this is the most important of my Cs, see I did learn something so far) -- but this is something that I can't evaluate at all, particularly for a fancy cut like this one.

Here's a summary of the 4C's:
Candidate 1 Candidate 2 Difference (in favor of Candidate 1)
Carat 1.11 1.45 -0.34
Color G J + 3 grades
Clarity VS2 SI1 + 1 grade
Cut ??? ??? ???
Price difference + $500

Does this make sense? 3 color grades doesn't seem like a lot to lose to get an additional 0.34 carats (and $500 back in the pocket) in Candidate 2! So I'm thinking there must be something in the cut (but the symmetry and polish get the same scores), so what should we look for, or ask the appraiser about?

Candidate 1: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6372/
For reference, we asked that GOG perform a Brilliantscope on the stone, and it got
Brilliance: Very High (just above the borderline with high)
Fire: Very High Plus
Sparkle: Very High (touching the borderline with high)

Candidate 2: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5769/
GOG has a Brilliantscope on this one (not online), but Marie read the values over the phone to me. It scores:
Brilliance: Very High Plus
Fire: Very High Plus
Sparkle: Borderline High / Very High

Both stones also have DiamXrays and ASETs though the links. There are also Helium reports for both -- I don't even know which angles to pull out. Ergh.

Help help! Thanks in advance!

--- antelope1, formerly known as antelope, before the PW reset meltdown ---

slg47

Ideal_Rock
As far as I know the square cushion H&As that GOG carries are cut pretty precisely...ASETs on both look good. The color can really affect the price. Are you OK with J color? If so I would get the larger J (if you have verified eye-clean). If not...get the G :D

have you seen any diamonds in person? that can help you decide on the G vs J...

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cut is equal. Eye clean is eye clean. So size and color are the question.

I have owned RBs in G and J color. I opted to go larger and drop to a J with my recent upgrade and was happy with my choice. The G was crisper white and the J is softer white, but it is much larger and I like that a lot. The size difference between the stones you are considering will be noticable. Not mind blowing, but obvious I think.

My advice about color is A) go see some GIA EX or AGS0 cut grade diamonds in different colors to determine your own tastes; and B) Ask yourself the following questions: do your or the intented wearer have strong preconceived feelings about diamond color? Do your family or friends? Are you or your family or friends knowledgable about diamonds? If the answer to these questions is "no" then I personally think that you will be just fine with a perfectly cut J color stone.

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
Looking at the ASETs, they do look good -- but! I saw the J IRL and it looked a little "clear" if that makes sense. Particularly compared to the jubliee next to it at the time. I would have thought that the ASET would have had a lot more light leakage from what I saw at GOG. This is why I don't know what to look for in cut with these fancies. Is there a HCA for fancies?

We saw the J in person (we'll see both side by side with an appraiser later this week). I personally do not mind a J color. I would have even gone for one of GOG's AVRs way down the color scale. But...my boyfriend does seem to favor whiter stones (or keeps on saying "you should get something with a better color").

Btw, I wear a 5 and have really short fingers (I've met 12 year olds with bigger hands). Is there such a thing as too big? :razz:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
no HCA for fancies...but ASET trumps HCA anyway. I wouldn't worry about leakage with these, maybe the 'clear' was something else? you can always go back and ask Jon about it? If you saw the J in person and liked it I would get it, it is bigger! and not too big for a size 5, unless YOU think so :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ETA if you like the jubilee better get that?

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
Ergh! We just had that conversation this morning! We definitely like this Mark Patterson setting (prgablady's ring: download/file.php?id=53338) with a cushion. I was just concerned that a Square H&A cushion might be too square. A Jubilee would be less square, but perhaps too rounded. Then, with this setting, a square stone will look like an EW setting...as he says, I'm constitutionally unable to make up my mind.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results