shape
carat
color
clarity

Does your eternity band spin? 3/4 vs full eternity

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
I'm getting BGD to make me an eternity band---woooot!

But I have to decided if I want 3/4 eternity or full.

With 3/4 eternity:

-from the top, will appear as a full eternity band as stones will go below where fingers touch each other with fingers together
-I won't worry about hitting the stones on the underside of the band and won't have to baby it
BUT, if the ring spins, it'll reveal that its not full eternity.
-also, won't cost as much as full eternity

With full eternity:

-if it spins, it'll always look like an eternity band
-but I might be afraid to damage the stones on the under side of the ring and will be paranoid about babying it
-will cost more :shock:

So, for those with an eternity ring...does it spin a lot?

For those with 3/4 eternity.....are there ever times where you see the plain metal part and wish you had gotten full eternity?

Thanks.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My rings really don't spin, I guess because my knuckles aren't really bigger than my lower fingers which lets my rings fit well. So I can wear half diamond bands fine. But it all depends on YOUR fingers!

This is tough. You'd have to be super careful not to grasp things, which I have to do when wearing my Tiffany Legacy band.

I will say though, I kind of prefer half diamonds or full diamonds. Three quarters just doesn't appeal to me as much.

Good luck with your decision! It isn't an easy one!

Sparkly_Girl

Rough_Rock
My eternity band spins all the time... and it bothers me! My knuckles are bigger than my finger, though, so my ring doesn't stay put.

We are having my ering designed with sizing beads in it so that it won't spin...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd do full eternity just because I prefer how it looks and if it spins it doesn't matter. Youre still going to have to baby a 3/4 eternity a bit so I'd say go ahead and get the full or get a half like DS suggested.

shanhoops

Rough_Rock
I have a 3/4 uprong eternity (see my avatar) and I have found that it actually doesn't spin much at all. I am surprised, because I had to get it a 1/2 size larger than usual, due to an injury to my hand which has caused the knuckle on that finger to be slightly bigger!

My wedding ring, on the other hand, is a 1/2 eternity channel set band, and it spins a lot! I wonder if the difference is because of the surface of the inside of the ring - the channel set band is quite smooth, whilst the eternity curves up and down because of the u shape of the setting.

In terms of having to baby a 3/4 eternity, with mine you can see 1 diamond on each side of the sizing bar on the underside of my hand - so I do have to be a little careful, but I'm not obsessive about it.

Price was a consideration with me too, and I'm completely satisfied with my decision to go with the 3/4.

Good luck with making your decision :twirl:

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm. Not sure if my knuckles are bigger than my finger. On my ring finger, not so much I'd have to say.
So I gues that means less spinning?

Its hard for me to tell if my rings spin bc they are a 1/4 size too big as-is. So BGD is also going to re-size them. So its hard to tell if they spin right now just bc they are too big or if its also bc my knuckles are a wee bit bigger than my finger.

I grab stuff and pick stuff up a lot with my hands (I'm rough on my hands) so that would be my biggest worry.

Also RE: 1/2 vs 3/4 eternity...I guess the 3/4 provides more finger side-to-side coverage so that I'd be sure that it would always look like an eternity band formt he top as the stones would go completely across my finger. Whether its 1/2 or 3/4 eternity, I figure no one else would be able to tell unless the ring was off (or it spun--in which case full eternity is the only solution).

I also forgot to add that a plus with 3/4 eternity is that it can be sized, if ever the need arises.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes my half eternity rings spin. I can't see how a 3/4 eternity would be very different. I do have big knuckles though.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a 3/4 eternity from WF. It spins. I wish I bought the full eternity. I have bony fingers and all my rings spin. Some day I might sell the 3/4 eternity because it really bothers me to look down at my ring and see plain metal when I paid for diamonds. As far as damaging the full-eternity---well, my stones end up in my palm anyway.

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
Maybe you could compromise by going for a channel set rather than a prong set ring? Just thinking that would a nice way to get the full eternity without having to worry so much about damaging the stones. All depends on what carat weight you're looking at though.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely go for the full eternity. I got a 3/4 channel eternity from Facets for my wedding band and I am adjusting it multiple times a day because the metal works its way around to the front. The only reason I didn't go with a full eternity is that even if I upgrade or change my e-ring, I will always keep this same wedding band for sentimental reasons, so I wanted to be able to size it.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I have a half channel set ring from Tiffany and it doesn't spin at all. I wanted to get a sizable ring for sentimental reasons.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Mine is large compared to the finger--if I wear it on my LHS. Spins and I don't mind: all sparkle=all good!

If I wear it on my RHS , that finger is bigger so it is stationary. So far no chips and I've had the thing a few years. My Mom had a 3/4 eternity and chipped the end stones--I vote for a full eternity.

cheers--Sharon

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327460790|3111060 said:
My rings really don't spin, I guess because my knuckles aren't really bigger than my lower fingers which lets my rings fit well. So I can wear half diamond bands fine. But it all depends on YOUR fingers!

This is tough. You'd have to be super careful not to grasp things, which I have to do when wearing my Tiffany Legacy band.

I will say though, I kind of prefer half diamonds or full diamonds. Three quarters just doesn't appeal to me as much.

Good luck with your decision! It isn't an easy one!
Same here. I think if you are paying for 3/4, might as well do the full eternity since you would have to be careful with 3/4 anyway. Sounds like a great project!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I have a 3/4 eternity and I'm satisfied with it. It does spin occasionally, mainly when my hands are really cold, but I just correct it...it's never seemed that big a deal for me. I do find it rarely stays perfectly centered -- the sizing bar is usually skewed a bit to one side or the other, so the last couple diamonds face my palm, but it's not very often that the sizing bar shows above my fingers. If I was doing it over, I might have gotten another stone on each side so the sizing bar would be a bit smaller (more like 7/8 than 3/4, I guess?) but it was important to me to have the option of sizing it a bit, so I still wouldn't have gone for a full eternity.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the replies!

But now I'm more torn than before because people have 'voted' storngly either way. I'll see what BGD has to say....

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Octavia said:
I have a 3/4 eternity and I'm satisfied with it. It does spin occasionally, mainly when my hands are really cold, but I just correct it...it's never seemed that big a deal for me. I do find it rarely stays perfectly centered -- the sizing bar is usually skewed a bit to one side or the other, so the last couple diamonds face my palm, but it's not very often that the sizing bar shows above my fingers. If I was doing it over, I might have gotten another stone on each side so the sizing bar would be a bit smaller (more like 7/8 than 3/4, I guess?) but it was important to me to have the option of sizing it a bit, so I still wouldn't have gone for a full eternity.

This is a good suggestion - maybe get it so there is just a very small sizing bar but still more diamonds than there would be in a full eternity. I wish I would have gone that route.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I have a 3/4 eternity and it never spins. DH and I were just talking last night because I'm getting ready to purchase an eternity and we decided to go with the 3/4 because mine never spins, I've never looked down and seen anything but diamonds.

Full eternitys scare me a bit, not just because you need to baby them more, but because they can't be sized in the future. My fingers go up and down 1/2 size between summer and winter, and sometimes a whole size morning to night. I'd be sad if I got pregnant and couldn't wear my rings, or had an injury or whatever.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't speak from experience because I do not have either one, but in considering a purchase, I've been looking at 1/2 - 3/4 rings only because I dont want to risk damaging the bottom stones nor do i want to pay for stones I can't see. I don't walk with my palms up (!!!) so I'd prefer to have, as they say in regards to the mullet hair cut - "party in the front, business in the back". :D

My fingers fluctuate in size during the day and during the seasons, so it just means I'll have to re adjust the ring when it spins. I don't think that's going to be something that will bother me too much, as I do it now with most rings, depending on weather, etc.

When you started your journey, you had a ring design in mind (full or 3/4 eternity) and if you purchased one vs the other, would you feel disappointed with the choice you made? don't regret the decision you make - do what will make you the most comfortable and happiest. :))

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
^^Like you, in my mind it doesn't make sense to pay for stone that you don't see ie the stones that would extend down below and on the underside of my finger. I've always been thinking 3/4 eternity for practicality's sake ie dont' have to worry about the bottom getting banged up and why pay for what you dont' see??

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both and have experienced all the pluses and minuses laid out in this post. An idea I've seen lately is the 3/4 with the sizing bar - BUT the sizing bar is engraved, so as to resemble the pattern of the diamonds on the band - it's not nearly as noticeable as a plain sizing bar, which would make me crazy!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I have a half-eternity pave wedding band that matches the pave on my engagement ring. While it's a little different from a normal eternity band, I too debated back and forth whether to go half or full for all the reasons you mentioned, but for financial reasons went half. Turns out it (1) sometime spins and (2) doesn't bother me at all. I usually catch it before it does too far around (yes, I may spend too much time looking at my ring...) and kind of enjoy lining it up perfectly with my e-ring (which also spins, so there is plenty of adjusting to go around)!

In the not-too-distant future I hope to get a second matching band to stack on top of my e-ring, and when I do, it will also be a half.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results