shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you wear/bring your rings on vacation?

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock
In the past, I've worn my rings on vacations to Maui and we also go to Cabo San Lucas 2x a year. I never bring my rings only because of all the bad stories I've heard about Mexico. Although, where we go, about 40% of the people we run into are from OC and LA and yes, they wear their blings. While we're there, we're mostly in the water (pool, beach, fishing, snorkeling) and I'm constantly putting sunscreen on. But when we dress up for the evening, I've always wish that I had my rings. I've thought about bringing just maybe my eternity ring, keep it in the room safe during the day then wear it night. Any thoughts?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear it when I vacation in Canada or the US, but anywhere else I don't think I would bring it. Mostly because I have been in situations in unfamiliar neighbourhoods where I felt unsafe wearing such an expensive piece. And I would not feel safe leaving it in a safe. I don't even like leaving it at home!

I think a travel ring is a good idea to wear at night when you are out. If I was going to Mexico or another place I think I would get a travel ring (i.e. not real diamonds, slightly smaller "carat").

mdmc

Shiny_Rock
Premium
No. I have very believable CZ's I wear especially if I am out side of the US. We are active and like to swim snorkel and zip line. I don't want to worry about my rings, I want to enjoy myself.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Good question! I'm going on a cruise next month to Jamaica and I think I'll leave them at home. Between pools, the ocean, lotion, and the fact that I'm going with my friend and not DH who is big and scary, I think it's best they hang out at home.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
No. I leave them at home and wear a plain band. And bring some cheap bling to feel dressed up.

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Actually, I do. My situation sounds to be the opposite - I live in the developing world, so my jewelry usually lives in the massive safe with the rest of the stuff that we don't want to have to replace. We usually holiday in places were the local folks are wearing much more bling than I ever am, so I'm comfortable wearing my rings out and about.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
lknvrb4|1361445532|3386269 said:
I bring mine, I don't pay insurance premiums for nothing!

That is actaully a really good point! :bigsmile:

I typically don't bring mine just because when we travel we are always doing things that would make me worry about them (being in the water, snorkeling etc), so I used to wear a small halo sapphire set that was still blingy but not my diamond set.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends where I am going, much like Dreamer above. US/Canada - sure! Caribbean... not so much. I will wear a pair of studs but not my diamond necklace (I pop on a cheapy CZ3 stone that looks pretty cool!) and for rings, I just wear my original YG plain band and a coloured stone ring or two. Mainly silver jewelry so if it is lost/damaged, it was not the same investment that other pieces were.

And... kind of a magpie here... but I love to buy new stuff when I'm away, so if my fingers are already loaded down... it ruins my rationale to DH about why I need a new ring RIGHT NOW :lol: ;))

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
We went to Jamaica for our honeymoon and I wore my rings. When I took them off (to hit the beach), they were in the room safe. We were on a resort and being 2 days into being married, there was no way I was going to leave my new lovelies at home!! If you're staying at a resort, I don't see a problem with wearing jewelry, even if you're in a not so fabulous country. Maybe just take them off during the traveling portion (to and from resort) and you'll be good to go.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought this is why you have insurance so there is no worry about it getting damaged, lost or stolen? I self insure so I do not wear my rings to lessen the risk when I am vacationing. It sits waiting for me in the bank vault until I come home.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I wear them ALL the time.. cooking, cleaning, showering, working, travelling. i had mine at home in the past for fear of ppl thinking that i am too wealthy that i could wear diamonds.... and was burgled and vowed never to leave home without them again. So, while it is on me, i can still get burgled, but at least i have the final say before it goes.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine stay home in the safe. I wear a cz ring and earrings but even that stays in the room most of the time as I find wearing jewelry at the beach uncomfortable.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
It depends on the kind of vacation, and where the vacation is. When we go to Maui or Kauai, we're doing active things, and I don't see the point of taking things along that are mostly going to be living in the safe. I usually take along my pink spinel JKT band to wear when we go to dinner, and silver earring to wear during the day, but aside from that, I don't wear any jewelry.

If we're taking a more city-oriented vacation in the US or Canada, I take along a few pieces as long as the hotel has a safe, but only what I can carry in a travel jewelry case in my purse.

My DH and I are thinking about getting Cartier trinity bands so that we'll have nice bands to wear when we travel without the liability of worrying about the more valuable pieces.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well it depends.
If we go on a cruise, my wife brings all the jewelery she wants to wear, there is a safe in each room, she never wears any jewelry on shore excursions, only back on the ship in the evening.
We just got back from Puerto Rico, she left the ER home, but took the wedding band and right hand ring, left necklaces home.
I do insure all the stuff, just got it re-appraised.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re insurance. Check your policy for loss incurred abroad. I had to get a special rider to insure my ER when I lived in Japan for one year. I never wear my jewelry on vacationand stoe valuables in a bank vault . We usually travel to developing countries and I do not want to be a target. Even wearing CZ would possibly risk a robbery. Also as I like to shop-wearing bling can impair price negotiations as the seller may think I have a lot of money to spend. Finally, having no jewelery it is an excuse to buy something . I never trust room safes.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1361452801|3386328 said:
I thought this is why you have insurance so there is no worry about it getting damaged, lost or stolen? I self insure so I do not wear my rings to lessen the risk when I am vacationing. It sits waiting for me in the bank vault until I come home.

This is a good point. I suppose for me, I would not bring my insured ring because I would be concerned about violence to my person if theft happened! And because I don't want to feel uncomfortable when I am out and about if my ring is too luxurious looking. I am also very active on vacation and don't wear my rings when I am active.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
If traveling in North America, then yes I wear/bring my bling with me.

Otherwise I leave it at home, and usually just wear my wedding band.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
It depends on where I go. When I want to look low-key with no blinginess, I wear favorite sterling silver pieces, and white gold bracelets and rings which are plain or have semi-precious gemstones - they look like silver. ;-)

gemtastic

Shiny_Rock
Depends where I am traveling, and whether or not hubby is with me vs. girlfriends--not that he could defend me if we were being robbed!! He would always prefer I leave the bling at home, lest my earlobes be chopped off.....his thoughts, not mine :(
The least developed place we have ever traveled (Nevis) is where we actually were married--so the bling had to come with! Have never felt unsafe wearing my jewelry in the Caribean.
I did take a girls trip to Puerto RIco last year, and the bling stayed home per his request. Again, never felt unsafe there, but am not naive to think that women traveling in any resort locale may be more of a target. We will return to PR this summer for my brothers wedding--so of course I will wear the bling!

LetItShine

Shiny_Rock
Yes. I travel quite frequently and always wear my wedding ring. If I have a particularly active day planned, I will lock it in a room safe. Otherwise, I wear it wherever I go. I avoid destinations known to target tourists and am very careful of where I go. That said, things happen and that's why I have insurance.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bring my jewelry unless visiting very poor nation and don't want to offend (went to Africa a couple of months ago). I usually wear my stuff and never take it off, so it's with me. I have used room safe too. It's all insured.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Travelling in the US, yes. Any other country- NO. I've had a 22k gold bracelet stolen in Rome. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: When I travel abroad I wear a plain 22k wedding band and $5 earrings from Walmart but I miss my bling terribly.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lknvrb4|1361445532|3386269 said:
I bring mine, I don't pay insurance premiums for nothing!

Insurance won't help if you are hurt or even killed for your bling.

I'm not saying don't wear jewelry on vacation.
I'm just saying you may lose much more than your insured jewelry since it makes you a target for crime.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear my 1.5 halo..sits in a vault. I look forward to vacations because I can choose another set to wear on my left hand. I have a .60 carat old mine solitaire with one of my several bands. I always get compliments on it too!

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies and suggestions, I guess I can live without my rings for 7 days.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results