shape
carat
color
clarity

DO not fear VERY strong fluorescence (because it''s beautiful)!

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock
OK, I'd just finished a solitaire necklace project before I found Pricescope. Then I joined the forum, read a lot, and decided I wanted a fluoro stone in a warmer color. But I could find few photos of what VERY STRONG FLUORESCENCE looked like (although many were labeled as "strong"). I didn't know if GIA strong vs VERY strong looked that different. Well, I specifically asked Whiteflash to find me a stone around 1.3 to 1.5 cts, I color, GIA-graded VERY STRONG. And what an amazing job they did! In shade, indoors, 99% of the time you see no blue. 99% of the time it faces up white as can be, and the gemologist at WF says it faces up like and H. But in bright sun, you do see some baby blue (you would have to be looking for blue, most people just think it looks blue-white, which is a banned term but I'm not selling).. LOOK AT HOW MUCH BRIGHTER IT LOOKS THAN THE SAME SIZE J-COLOR STONE NEXT TO IT.

So to me, the lesson is, do not fear STRONG BLUE and VERY STRONG BLUE FLUROESCENCE as long as you have a good vendor who can check the stone for whether it's overblue (which is rare anyway).

I'm glad I can share this with others on PS.

P.S. It happened to cost 19% less than an equivalent non-fluro stone on WF but that's not why I bought it. But it was a plus!

P.P.S. Excuse any typos, I am way excited about this stone.

fluor vs none side by side.JPG

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock
Another attachment, this is what WF sent me on this stone. WF is completely awesome.

29april2010.JPG

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock
P.P.S It is not easy to find STRONG AND VERY STRONG BLUE FLUORESCENT STONES (and I should have specifiied mine was graded VERY STRONG BLUE as opposed to other colors that diamonds can sometimes fluoresce). In the Blue Nile inventory of 6070 round brilliant well-cut diamonds (ideal and signature ideal) of size 0.75 to 2.00 cts (which is probably the size of most engagement stones to 2 standard deviations I would think), in ANY color, in ANY clarity, there are only 19 RBs that are STRONG OR VERY STRONG BLUE . Drop that to VERY STRONG BLUE, and there are only 4 stones. 4 stones in the whole Blue Nile inventory! That's it! Enjoy these beauties only if you can find them!

Yes, I understand it's because fluro has gotten a bad rap.

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock
And one more pic, under a UV light pointed a ways away, during the day. Sorry it''s a bit blurry. WF was right, it is not cloudy/milky at all even with the UV shining on it

SinatraUnderUV.JPG

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the excellent pics TotalNewbie, I''m glad you''re happy with your new pet rock
2.gif
- it''s a gorgeous stone.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Great photos! It''s wonderful that you are able to compare two stones so close in color (I and J) to demonstrate the effect. Very helpful.

I, too, am a lover of blue fluorescence in diamonds. My diamond is an I color with strong blue fluorescence, and I love how it looks in the sun. I also have noticed that it looks very bright and white under fluorescent light -- whiter than I would expect an I color, even a well-cut I, to look. Have you noticed a similar effect in your stone under fluorescent lights?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TotalNewbie, thanks for these great photos, I will add this thread to our Helpful Threads archive.

kristalulu

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Awesome!!! I love fluor in diamonds, it gives them so much more personality and dimention! Yours is beautiful!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone once described vsb to me as the only way she was ever going to get a natural blue diamond
5.gif

That stuck with me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I don''t know if fluorescence has gotten a "bad rap" as much as it is a preference. I am glad you are enjoying your stone, and I admire the pictures.

cheers--Sharon

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies!

sarap333 - you have one too??? Let''s start a club! (kidding, but that''s great!) and YES I have noticed it is very white under fluorescent lighting at work!

Lorelei - glad to contribute the photos and I hope it helps some folks down the line

LAST photo. Keep doing your thing, little blue diamond!

crazydiamond2.JPG

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yes we should make a thread on SMTR for all of the blue fluorescent stones!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Very cool, thanks for sharing! I am a definite fan of fluoro.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love fluor too! I wish my diamond had it.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
It''s great to see that more people are not afraid of fluor! I have a very strong blue fluor cushion and I love it too!

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock
OOOOH! Do you have photos of your Very Strong Blue cushion on PS? If so, could you please send me the thread? Sounds niiiiice!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2010 9:34:06 AM
Author: TotalNewbie
P.P.S It is not easy to find STRONG AND VERY STRONG BLUE FLUORESCENT STONES (and I should have specifiied mine was graded VERY STRONG BLUE as opposed to other colors that diamonds can sometimes fluoresce). In the Blue Nile inventory of 6070 round brilliant well-cut diamonds (ideal and signature ideal) of size 0.75 to 2.00 cts (which is probably the size of most engagement stones to 2 standard deviations I would think), in ANY color, in ANY clarity, there are only 19 RBs that are STRONG OR VERY STRONG BLUE . Drop that to VERY STRONG BLUE, and there are only 4 stones. 4 stones in the whole Blue Nile inventory! That's it! Enjoy these beauties only if you can find them!

Yes, I understand it's because fluro has gotten a bad rap.

I have a pear that has a very strong blue fluorescence that is over 2CT. I love it... I think it give it a little chameleon edge ;-) Your pics are areally awesome! I think people have the fear that maybe a strong blue fluorescance might make the stone hazy in certain lighting conditions. I have not noticed that with my stone, I just love it the way she is, its the way nature made her!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it - wish I had it in mine... I did see a stone once at a pawn shop that had a TON of it - the thing looked like it was in fog. It was the strangest thing but really cool to see. Unfortunately it''s not really what you want to see when you look at your stone. I did go back thinking I might buy it as an oddity but it was gone. In a stone that severely fluorescent you don''t notice the diamond as much as you do the effect. But still, the effect was interesting.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
The ultimate colorless diamonds to me are the Golaconda Type IIa D color "Blue White diamonds" . Not the type we usually see which have fluorescence caused by Boron in the lattice but stones of the IIa type with gaps in the crystal lattice. These diamonds like the Regent are some of the most highly sought after, rare, and most expensive colorless diamonds available.

golacondaregent.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
CCL, I agree with you 100% -- that stone is incredible. Is this the type of stone that holds its blue color across different lighting conditions (as compared with the fluoro more typically seen that fades once out of black light or sunlight)?

zhuzhu, I didn''t know your stone had fluorescence! That must look wonderful with the blue sapphires surrounding your stone!

TotalNewbie, thanks for starting this thread -- yes, my stone has fluorescence. It''s also an eye-clean I1, so it''s really a "natural wonder"! I''d like to upgrade in size someday, but this stone will be very difficult to give up...

A photo:

Agghhh, PS is not allowing me to upload photos!

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock
sarap333 - LOVE your ring. very, very pretty and I remember seeing it in another thread now. that is some blue indeed!!!!!

zhuzhu - thanks for sharing. love the pics and it's so good to see so many pther fluoro fans.

Cehrabehra - hmmm...fog? Interesting. Like emanating outward around the ring? Do you remember how much it was? Gosh I feel like scouring pawnshops with a UV penlight now.

Chunkycushionlover - that is one droolworthy pic. I want! But will settle for admiring from afar.

all -- look for another thread from me when this pretty pet rock is mounted. Cannot wait!

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/29/2010 9:14:07 AM
Author:TotalNewbie
do not fear STRONG BLUE and VERY STRONG BLUE FLUROESCENCE as long as you have a good vendor who can check the stone for whether it''s overblue (which is rare anyway).
Thank you for for this thread, it''s really helpful to my research!I ''m quite new on PS and am searching for a nice upgrade. I too seem to be leaning towards a fluro stone, I''m love that blue-white color and the price will allow a larger stone. I just have a couple of questions for all you fluro lovers.

1) is it hard to find non-milky fluros and if they look milky, is it only in certain lighting or would it be milky in general?
2) I noticed that the stones mentioned are in the I-J color, what do you think about fluro in colorless stones (D/F or G)? As I know that the fluro helps whiten the appearance of lower colors, would it have negative effects on a higher color or not have any effect?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
The picture above - which I think is wink''s ring - is kinda what I mean, but it''s hard to explain and I bet really hard to capture because it''s 3D and in motion... it''s a haze, it''s cool to see, but you''d have to want something very atypical.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results