carat
color
clarity

Disappointed with my ring :(

Yekutiel

Shiny_Rock
Re: Disappointed with IDJ :(

Hi AllieLuv83
So sorry to hear your not totally happy with the ring.
My advise is please don’t stress over it I will make sure you will end up happy. And with the regards to the shipping cost we will work it out. Eye Clean is a very sensitive topic for everyone see things differently. To be very honest had I known this diamond was being sold to a Pricescoper I would not have had it been shipped before I expressed myself to you on how I truly felt on how eye clean it is. Please have in mind as I read it was an SI1 clarity and ALSO certified by EGL. None the less, Our goal is to make you happy. On a side note I'm pleased you loved the setting and the prong work we did on the ring for you. So please cheer up and you will be smiling in no time.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

marygrace|1328241693|3118025 said:
winternight|1328241174|3118017 said:
Yeah, just had a messed up order with Nordstroms and they apologized. It is the normal thing to do if you want to keep a customer...

Coach messed up a purchase and later sent me free wallet with a hand written apology from a VP.

I hope IDJ fixes the situation. So many emotions are tied to diamond purchases. Seeing such large inclusions must be disappointing.

I am not trying to harp on this, but people need to be careful not to make such exaggerated comments. The OP bought an SI1 from EGL. That means likely SI2 or I1 by GIA standards. Those are not "large inclusions" with that in mind! If it was a GIA VS1, fine, lets all get out the pitch forks, but this situation needs to be considered in context.

winternight what was the clarity grade of the diamond you bought from GOG?

And now I see IDJ posted. Allie, did you talk to them and tell them your feelings before coming here and posting a title like you did?

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry to hear you are so upset Allie, but do give IDJ a go at fixing this, they really will do their utmost to make you happy. It is a lovely ring, the prongs are beautiful!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Call Yekutiel as soon as you can and talk to him. I know he'll make it right for you.

JUST AS A NOTE TO ALL NEWBIES. Mistakes happen. You don't need to post every little mistake on here. You should always FIRST CONTACT THE VENDOR and see what they say and will do for you. PS vendors will almost always bend over backward to make things right.

POSTING ON THIS FORUM IS A LAST RESORT. Or an FYI after the matter has been attended to. SO if you have a problem with something from a vendor PLEASE-- FIRST CONTACT THE VENDOR FIRST AND GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO CORRECT THE ISSUE.

I have had 'flubs' for every vendor (except Steven, but I've only dealt with him the one time) I've dealt with. If I were to come complain on the boards for every little error, it would be crazy. And I would burn my bridges in the process. The minute there is any issue I simply get the vendor on the phone and before I know it everything is fixed.

Please contact the vendor first. Then once there is a solution if you want to post an FYI post letting people know what happened and how it was handled and how you felt, that's fine. And it's valuable feedback.

marygrace

Shiny_Rock

Dreamer_D|1328243199|3118045 said:
I hope IDJ fixes the situation. So many emotions are tied to diamond purchases. Seeing such large inclusions must be disappointing.

I am not trying to harp on this, but people need to be careful not to make such exaggerated comments. The OP bought an SI1 from EGL. That means likely SI2 or I1 by GIA standards. Those are not "large inclusions" with that in mind! If it was a GIA VS1, fine, lets all get out the pitch forks, but this situation needs to be considered in context.

I do not believe IDJ did anything wrong. It seems like a miscommunication about what "eye clean" is. The OP thought she was getting a diamond with no visible inclusions to the naked eye. As her expectations were not met, disappointment is likely no matter how much was paid. I am sure the situation will work out, but for now, she's disappointed.

If I were to stare at this diamond everyday (as I probably would), I would see the inclusions. I do not know how lax EGL is compared to GIA or AGS. I have never examined an EGL graded stone. I would assume that if a vendor told me eye clean, graded SI1 that it is an eye clean, graded SI1 by my definition.

I view inclusions as birthmarks, markers of identity -- kinda cute, really. For the right price, I would snatch this diamond. The setting is really pretty too. But, The OP was expecting something else, and she thought she did all she could to avoid this situation.

I see that IDJ posted. They seem really nice.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I really can't see anything much so I personally would have been fine with the stone and would consider it eye clean. IDJ probably thought the same--some people just aren't picky about inclusions. I'm sure IDJ will make things right.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

On my computer screen that diamond is about on inch in diameter.

Is it that large in real life?
No.

So it's it unfair to say, since the inclusions can see it in the pic, it's not eyeclean.
Eyeclean means live without any magnification.
One inch across is LOTS of magnification.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So, blown up on my computer, I knew there had to be an inclusion, so I looked for it.

It took me more than a casual look. So I would call it eye-clean.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JulieN|1328249287|3118100 said:
So, blown up on my computer, I knew there had to be an inclusion, so I looked for it.

It took me more than a casual look. So I would call it eye-clean.

I don't think anyone can say unless they see it live.
Even then they may not see it till 3 days later when the light strikes it just so.

Plus, another person in the same situation may never see it since people's vision, and visual acuity, vary.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Laila619|1328246771|3118080 said:
I really can't see anything much so I personally would have been fine with the stone and would consider it eye clean. IDJ probably thought the same--some people just aren't picky about inclusions. I'm sure IDJ will make things right.

I think picky-ness is quite separate from whether a person can or cannot see it live without magnification.

Better vision, or visual acuity, does not mean a person is more picky.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

I wasn't trying to burn any bridges and maybe I jumped the gun by posting, it was not to attain some sort of leverage over the matter it was simply to say that I was disappointed and maybe to correct if I was misunderstanding something. Obviously I was and that eye cleanliness varies from person to person. This was my first time buying online. I know this is comparing apples to oranges but my GIA si2 is eye clean in all lighting conditions, no matter how closely I look or what type of magnified picture I take. Maybe I was foolish to think that lighting could strike twice and I found another eye clean stone. My price point was not quite 5000 but it was not 15000 either. I have no doubts that IDJ will make this right I was just bummed and looking for some guidance. Maybe it was not the most diplomatic thing to do to post the name of vendor and I will definitely update once I have my resolution.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Allie, it's ok... I understand you were dissapointed and I am sure IDJ will fix it for you and you will be happy in no time! We are very lucky to have vendors that care so much about their customers.

Gypsy, no offense but if "the NEWBIES" want to post a complaint/sadness/whatever, they will... I agree with you that you should try to contact the vendor first, but sometimes people just want some support because they feel let down, and we all know that buying an ering is a very emotional process for most people and perhaps they don't have anyone in RL that understands what they are "going through".

winternight

Brilliant_Rock

Dreamer_D|1328243199|3118045 said:
winternight|1328241174|3118017 said:
Yeah, just had a messed up order with Nordstroms and they apologized. It is the normal thing to do if you want to keep a customer...

Coach messed up a purchase and later sent me free wallet with a hand written apology from a VP.

winternight what was the clarity grade of the diamond you bought from GOG?

And now I see IDJ posted. Allie, did you talk to them and tell them your feelings before coming here and posting a title like you did?
It was an I so I was expecting inclusions from some distance but what upset me was not being told about a feather on the table that made the diamond looked scratched when I asked more than once for a description of all inclusions and seeing flaws at over 12 inches on the table --- not some side view --- when I was told eye clean at 3 inches. I'm over it now but it was the sort of thing I'd expect from an eBay vendor.

dani13

Ideal_Rock

I'm very sorry for this experience, Allie. Its kind of a let down and annoying to have to deal with, I know. Rest assured though, that Yekutiel will make things right for you. IDJ really does have awesome customer service, especially for PS-ers!!!! I can't wait to see your new ring!!! :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

AllieLuv83|1328256388|3118147 said:
I wasn't trying to burn any bridges and maybe I jumped the gun by posting, it was not to attain some sort of leverage over the matter it was simply to say that I was disappointed and maybe to correct if I was misunderstanding something. Obviously I was and that eye cleanliness varies from person to person. This was my first time buying online. I know this is comparing apples to oranges but my GIA si2 is eye clean in all lighting conditions, no matter how closely I look or what type of magnified picture I take. Maybe I was foolish to think that lighting could strike twice and I found another eye clean stone. My price point was not quite 5000 but it was not 15000 either. I have no doubts that IDJ will make this right I was just bummed and looking for some guidance. Maybe it was not the most diplomatic thing to do to post the name of vendor and I will definitely update once I have my resolution.

It makes me chuckle but apparently IDJ have "PS standards" and standards for the rest of the known universe, and those are not the same thing ::) Makes sense to me, we are not your typical folk. Make sure you tell him who you are, eh?

You are lucky to have an SI2 like you do. It likely has less to do with GIA/EGL and more to do with your specific diamond compared to all other diamonds. Finding a truly eye clean SI2 like you have is rare, I think more common are ones that are eye clean at 10 inches if you don't hunt for the inclusions. You bought in person which is really lucky when looking for deals. When buying online you have to kiss more frogs.

Nothing wrong with posting your concerns here. But always talk to your vendor, too. Usually, they are more than willing to help.

winternight Maybe they have changed their way of communicating with consumers since you had that experience. I hope so. When I was looking at AVRs and AVCs last summer, they were very up front about the inclusions and how easily they could be seen. Maybe too much even 8)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1328242904|3118041 said:
This is a better image to ask if we see it ;))

And I too think it is subtle. What was the price? I am going to assume you paid around $5k, which was your budget? For a 1.5ct rock? This little bittle spec might be what you accept. As I said, your budget is about 1/3 what it would typically need to be for a daimond that size. Cut looks nice too.

Yes, to DD, Deco and SCG, et al.

cheers--Sharon

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yekutiel|1328243061|3118043 said:
Hi AllieLuv83
So sorry to hear your not totally happy with the ring.
My advise is please don’t stress over it I will make sure you will end up happy. And with the regards to the shipping cost we will work it out. Eye Clean is a very sensitive topic for everyone see things differently. To be very honest had I known this diamond was being sold to a Pricescoper I would not have had it been shipped before I expressed myself to you on how I truly felt on how eye clean it is. Please have in mind as I read it was an SI1 clarity and ALSO certified by EGL. None the less, Our goal is to make you happy. On a side note I'm pleased you loved the setting and the prong work we did on the ring for you. So please cheer up and you will be smiling in no time.

This is the kind of vendors I want to keep going back to. The vendor shows clear understanding of customer needs/expectations (that vary from person to person) and sincere willingness to work with customers. His aim is true customer satisfaction and continuing return business.

AllieLuv83 - I understand very well your initial disappointment and frustration. Although I am a little more senior than you in terms of buying diamond jewelry from PS vendors, I, too, encounter similar problems with new (first time to me) vendors. Old timers here sometimes forget that most ordinary or newbies do not know the do's/don'ts about diamond buying and assume that it is COMMON knowledge about EGL spec, meaning of "eye-clean" diamonds, and etc.. If the responses here "enlighten" you to the point that you feel you should have known, don't. Instead, your feelings/expectations are very common and normal. I thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts, so others can learn from your experience. The way I see the outcome of this thread is that it is win-win. Hopefully, you end up getting exactly what you want, and the vendor gains your trust and return business, and more importantly, respect and furture business from other PSers like myself.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

Dreamer_D|1328280555|3118231 said:
It makes me chuckle but apparently IDJ have "PS standards" and standards for the rest of the known universe, and those are not the same thing ::) Makes sense to me, we are not your typical folk. Make sure you tell him who you are, eh

Nothing wrong with posting your concerns here. But always talk to your vendor, too. Usually, they are more than willing to help.

I did tell the sales person that I was working with that I was from pricescope, that's the thing! I also contacted them as soon as I received the ring knowing that they would either need to have me return the ring or remedy the problem some other way. I have no reservations that IDJ will right the situation, I was just feeling down in the dumps. I am fully aware that they inclusions are subtle, my husband had a hard time finding them at first, but then in dim light he was able to see them right away, it looks like a scratch on the table.

I am just waiting to hear back from them at this point. :)

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

AllieLuv83|1328286292|3118281 said:
I have no reservations that IDJ will right the situation, I was just feeling down in the dumps. I am fully aware that they inclusions are subtle, my husband had a hard time finding them at first, but then in dim light he was able to see them right away, it looks like a scratch on the table.

Please do not feel bad. Hugs to you.

If you can see the inclusions and that they bother you now, you will always be bugged by them. It does not matter how much money the diamond costs, whether $1000 or $100,000, the money is YOUR hard earned money, so you must be happy about the diamond you buy. Diamonds are luxury items that supposedly make you happy, so do not settle and get exactly what you want (you may need to increase your budget or decrease your spec such as size though).

jrich

Shiny_Rock

I want to start by saying I think it is great they are going to do the right thing to get you a new stone and fix it. But what if the situation were different?? I don't know if Allie upgraded, or picked out her ring and got to see it first before it is stored away for her bf to eventually present to her as an ering, or if she just got to pick her ring and plop it right on to her hot little finger or what. But what if she picked this ring and then wouldn't see it IRL until the moment of the proposal? Talk about a ruined moment. I know an engagement isn't supposed to be about the diamond, but now that we are all here on PS, there is no way around the fact that we will care about the ring. And if I then told my bf I could majorly see an inclusion and I wasn't happy with it, it would both break his heart and he'd not be happy with me about it. To the point I couldn't do that to him- I'd have to live with the ring I picked. I can't imagine I'm the only one who feels this way or the only one who be in the same situation if that were to happen. I just hope our vendors can be reminded that for many of us, this is the moment a lot of us will never get back, to see that ring for the first time while being proposed to, and that they can fully and accurately ensure buyers' expectations match up completely with what they are told they are getting.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock

AllieLuv, sorry the stone didn't make you happy. Personally, it looks very very pretty to me! I am sure IDJ will make it right - they have always done their best to make me super happy. IDJ's customer service is amazing so I am sure you will be very happy soon! That being said, an EGL SI stone being "eye clean" would be something I would take with a grain of salt. With the pic blown up, but on the hand? Looks pretty eye clean to me! :twirl: I wouldn't have expected it to be PS eye clean for an SI stone, especially an EGL SI stone grade. I, too, have had issues with a different vendor over an "eye clean" stone - I think this is common and you need to be very upfront about your eagle eyes and PS maniacal standards (which we all have!) before they ship it out.

Still...looks like a very pretty stone for a steal!!! :love: I would wear it... :naughty: Send it over!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

AllieLuv83|1328286292|3118281 said:
Dreamer_D|1328280555|3118231 said:
It makes me chuckle but apparently IDJ have "PS standards" and standards for the rest of the known universe, and those are not the same thing ::) Makes sense to me, we are not your typical folk. Make sure you tell him who you are, eh

I did tell the sales person that I was working with that I was from pricescope, that's the thing! I also contacted them as soon as I received the ring knowing that they would either need to have me return the ring or remedy the problem some other way. I have no reservations that IDJ will right the situation, I was just feeling down in the dumps. I am fully aware that they inclusions are subtle, my husband had a hard time finding them at first, but then in dim light he was able to see them right away, it looks like a scratch on the table.

I am just waiting to hear back from them at this point. :)

Allie think long and hard before you send this one back. Maybe have an honest conversation with Yuketeil about pricing. As we discussed in your other threads, EGL is risky, and you are stretching the dollar pretty far. If you can only see the inclusion in dim lighting if you look for it -- honey that is eye clean! The table inclusion on my SI2 was like that, and I sent it back. Should I have done that? Now I sort of think maybe not... it had other qualities that were really nice.

Fancydiamond Allie has posted about EGL a few times before this and this meany old timer has tried to help educate her in those threads and here, too.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you for all of your feedback. I spoke with IDJ and Yekuteil said that he will find a fantastic diamond for me. It seems for now that the crisis has been solved. Now I sit back and wait for a diamond to come around. It really is a beautifully cut diamond, and a pretty setting.

and I keep looking back on the ring hoping that the inclusions will disappear...

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock

Don't worry, Yekutiel will find a perfect stone for you.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

ditto DD and the others re the inclusion. I also was 'looking' for it and had to look pretty hard. But I am not very picky re inclusions at all esp now that I am into old stones. I liked DD's 'real life representation' image of what it looks like. Also, I've noticed certain lighting has a hand in whether or not I see inclusions. And once your eye is drawn there, it's hard to forget what you've seen!

I really hope that you find a stone that sings to you, Allie. And given the interactions with IDJ that PS'ers and myself have personally had, I am sure that you'll end up with something great. Best of luck.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

There is a blog or something written about eye clean. I think it depends on each person; it is very subjective! I think something can be eye clean to one person and someone else has eagle eyes. Let me see if I can find the blog/tutorial?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here is the tutorial on eye clean. https://www.pricescope.com/journal/what_eye_clean_diamond
I don't think I would fault the vendor, some people have eagle eyes and some don't; I think it is super subjective. If you want something eye clean go with VS2; just speaking in general.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Skippy|1328310163|3118557 said:
Here is the tutorial on eye clean. https://www.pricescope.com/journal/what_eye_clean_diamond
I don't think I would fault the vendor, some people have eagle eyes and some don't; I think it is super subjective. If you want something eye clean go with VS2; just speaking in general.
One thing that bothers me about this advice is that the rare VS2 is NOT eye clean, so consumers should not assume it will be. They may find themselves disappointed. I recommend people learn to read inclusion plots so they'll have an idea of where and what types of inclusions bother them.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

I thought the diamond looked nice!

It's funny that IDJ wouldn't have sent it to a PSer. Well, I must be the anti-PSer...I realized that inclusions don't bother me mostly because I can't see them. I mean yeah, if I hold it still under certain lighting and stare, sure. My ering is a SI1 black booger under the table, which I can never see in regular lighting conditions. The brooch that I got has two big feathers that I didn't even see until I louped it, and even then had a hard time, and it's SI2.

I read the info that skippy posted. I think the key to me is "unaided eye". Basically can I see it if no one is telling me where it is? I also liked Richard Sherwood's definition:

I define a stone as eye clean when you cannot spot the inclusions face up while rocking the stone under adequate lighting at a distance of about 12 inches. This is with the caveat that you have not louped the diamond first to locate any inclusions and unfairly "hone in" on them, nor do you have intense transmitted light coming in through the side of the diamond to "light up" inclusions. Just normal viewing faceup with an alert naked eye search.

This would be with a person having normal 20/20 vision. Some people have astigmatism which gives a slight natural magnification to their eyesight. They might be able to see an inclusion in a stone, which most people would consider eyeclean.

Fluorescent lighting or north daylight coming in through a window would work for "adequate lighting".

I think it's fair to have the diamond moving, doing it's magic, etc and to see if you can see it then. Even if it's a decent distance away, if you're holding it dead still and staring at it for inclusions, then to me that's not "normal" viewing conditions.

Btw, loved Leon's curt and oh-not so helpful answer. "VS2 or higher." :rolleyes:

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

I don't think I can see it from 12 inches away unless I really look. From about 6 inches it is pretty obvious. I tried the adequate light and moving the ring, and I can still see it. I am very torn!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results