carat
color
clarity

Disappointed with my ring :(

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Disappointed with IDJ :(

Christina...|1328464060|3119574 said:
Well Dreamer, then it would appear that you already knew what her budget was, and thus the question was unnecessary.

I did not know her budget. She corrected my assumption about what it was, stating she did not pay what I thought, and then I asked my question, which you then called rude. I think price is totally germane to the question at hand, as I explained in my subsequent posts. I feel for Allie, but my posts are not directed only at her but at the hunderds of lurkers who read PS for education.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

thing2of2|1328481232|3119740 said:
Christina...|1328464425|3119579 said:
Dreamer_D|1328460441|3119547 said:
winternight|1328457948|3119532 said:
And why do people who post an opinion of a bargain bought on eBay never get an flack about their opinion of cut, clarity, etc?

I am not sure *exactly* what you are saying here, but if you are asking why people don't get lots of opinions about ebay diamonds, I think they do here in RT when they ask.

But this does return to the point I made in my previous post -- diamonds are evaluated partly in light of their price relative to market norms. If you spend $800 on a .85ct diamond, then of course it will not be up to the standards of a diamond that is the same weight, has a GIA report, and cost $5000, unless you are very very lucky I suppose.

Allie Yes, my response to your issues would have been different if you spent $10000 on this stone. Not because it is *better* to have spent that amount, or it would make you more worthy, or any of those things that it seems that you or some others think that sliding scale of evaluation in relation to budget would imply; but because you should expect more at that carat weight for $10000 than for half that amount (for example). As a consumer I like to get good value for my money, and I like other consumers to get the same *no matter their budget*. This diamond looks like pretty good value *if* it was $5000 or even perhaps $7000, to me, even with the inclusions visible on close inspection, though for me the scales of value would start to tip at the upper end of that scale, and certainly I would not consider it good value for more.
'

Just for 'clarity' ;-) sake, are you implying that if I ask a vendor if a $800 .85ct stone is eye clean, then their definition is what 'eye clean' is will change due to the 'bargain' of the stone at that price point?

Of course that's not what dreamer is implying. She's saying (and I agree 100%) that you generally get what you pay for. So if the 1.5 carat is $5-7k and has some slightly visible inclusions, but is well cut and performs well, it might be worth it to keep it. If the 1.5 carat was $9k with some slightly visible inclusions, it's most likely not worth keeping, as it would only take a little more $ to find an eye clean stone.

Actually I agreed with you guys in theory until I thought about it some more. I do think standards are different for a $800 d.85 diamond with no grading vs one that is $5000 with a GIA report. However, for the most part if I were told that a EGL SI1 with X stats was eyeclean by a vendor who (I assumed) knows what PSers are like, I would anticipate that stone being eyeclean whether it was $5000 or $10000. It's been a long time since I've looked at MRB's, but isn't it the stats that largely drive the price? A X color SI1 for EGL for X carat weight with X stats wouldn't have a THAT wide range of price, would it?

I could be faulty in my thinking, of course. ::)

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Twinning wisps, IMO, are some of the best inclusions to "hide." Since you've had them before and found them tolerable, I would try to get another SI stone where the primary inclusions are twinning wisps, for sure.

Unrelated, I also think the ring you're selling is a stunner. I've actually recommended it to a couple friends who are looking, but both are looking for larger centers. If it's still on the market in a few months, a friend of mine who will be working in Wilmington and is looking to be engaged soon may just get pressured into sending you a message :Up_to_something:

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks :) it is a stunner! I am still waiting to hear where these apparent inclusions are :)
Yuketiel actually commented that twinning wisps are the easiest to hide, he hopes to find me one with the same inclusions if possible.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that's a great call. If you know a certain inclusion type doesn't bother you, it makes sense to seek it out again.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

happybear|1328485027|3119771 said:
Christina...|1328482971|3119752 said:
My point is, that the critera of judging it's eye cleaniless shouldn't change based on the cost of the stone. If I am assessing a $1k 1 ct and a $6k 1ct, I am going to go about it the same way. It's either eye clean to my standards or it isn't.

I too am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. However that does NOT change a persons definition of what EYE CLEAN means, and I think that is ultimately the point here. IMO Alley should consider keeping the stone, however Yuketiel has assured her that he believes he can do better for her, and I think that I would trust that assurance as she evidently has decided to do.

+1

The fact is Allie has owned an eye-clean SI2 and many have mentioned that an eye-clean SI2 or even I-1 stones exist, although rare.
Criteria for being eye-clean shouldn't change based on its cost or clarity grade stated. The definition of eye-clean shouldn't be more lax or taken lightly if the stone costs less or is graded SI2 or even I-1 for that matter.

Where did anyone say that the definition of eye clean changes with budget? I certainly did not say any such thing.

From what I can see, this stone is "eye clean" by most vendors, and likely most consumers (non-PS) standards: No visible inclusions in normal/natural lighting at 10 inches for someone with normal vision. Allie herself said that you cannot see inclusions except at about 6 iches and in some lighting. So this stone is eye clean. No monkey business based on budget.

What this stone is NOT is clean enough for Allie. And that is fine! No one is saying she should keep a stone that is not making her happy. But that is where expectations and budget might diverge -- wanting a stone that is clean to *her* definition may or may not be possible at that carat weight when color and/or clarity must be compromised below one's "ideal world" preferences. There is no shame in wanting a bargain or wanting to spend less than market norms. But we need to be realistic as consumers.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think Yuketiel would have told me that he would find me something that would make me happy if he didn't really think he could accomplish that? I am wondering if I am setting myself up.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal|1328488691|3119804 said:
Actually I agreed with you guys in theory until I thought about it some more. I do think standards are different for a $800 d.85 diamond with no grading vs one that is $5000 with a GIA report. However, for the most part if I were told that a EGL SI1 with X stats was eyeclean by a vendor who (I assumed) knows what PSers are like, I would anticipate that stone being eyeclean whether it was $5000 or $10000. It's been a long time since I've looked at MRB's, but isn't it the stats that largely drive the price? A X color SI1 for EGL for X carat weight with X stats wouldn't have a THAT wide range of price, would it?

See my previous post: I too expect a stone to be eye clean regardless of price and report if the vendor tells me it is eye clean. This stone appears to be eye clean by the typical standards used by vendors, so the argument is moot for this stone. If I want *better* than that, if I want my own personal definition of eye clean to be met, then I might need to acknowledge it is not possible to meet at some clarities and by extension, some budgets (assuming budget is driving one to look at SI2 or I1 stones).

Re: pricing. Supposedly eye clean does not matter, but apparently in practice is does ;)) Wholesalers price GIA SI2 stones with "better" inclusions higher than ones with "worse" inclusions. A stone that is technically an SI2 with a big black booger under the table visible in every lighting will cost less, maybe a lot less if the stone sits around for ages and ages and ages.

KTIceRN is an interesting example where she fully admits she wanted a needle in a haystack, super duper louper eye clean AGS SI2. She waited I think 8 months for Brian to find her one! And I bet she paid more for her SI2 than would have been charged for another SI2 that was not eye clean (not to mention her stringent cut criteria).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
AllieLuv83|1328490248|3119818 said:
Do you think Yuketiel would have told me that he would find me something that would make me happy if he didn't really think he could accomplish that? I am wondering if I am setting myself up.

I don't think so. I think what you want exists it is just really really uncommon. You might also have to see one or two more in person before one meets your personal standards for eye clean. Talk to him in person on the phone, I have heard he is really easy to talk to. As I mentioned in my reply to TGal, it could take a long time, though, when you want that one in a million diamond.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1328490680|3119821 said:
AllieLuv83|1328490248|3119818 said:

I don't think so. I think what you want exists it is just really really uncommon. You might also have to see one or two more in person before one meets your personal standards for eye clean. Talk to him in person on the phone, I have heard he is really easy to talk to. As I mentioned in my reply to TGal, it could take a long time, though, when you want that one in a million diamond.

Absolutely not. He will figure out a way to make you happy. I've dealt with him several times and when he says he will make you happy he really means it.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't mind an inclusion on the periphery of the diamond, and possibly one that can be hidden by a prong. What I didn't like was how this one just jumped out at me.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
so would you think my stone is that needle in a haystack, because honestly I can't see anything with my naked eye.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
AllieLuv83|1328491082|3119825 said:
I wouldn't mind an inclusion on the periphery of the diamond, and possibly one that can be hidden by a prong. What I didn't like was how this one just jumped out at me.

Just talk to him, honey. It'll be fine. I know how tense you are and anxious but you are in good hands-- just remember that good communication is very important and keep talking to him. It'll work out. :wink2:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
AllieLuv83|1328491170|3119826 said:
so would you think my stone is that needle in a haystack, because honestly I can't see anything with my naked eye.

Yes, absolutely. It's a great find. I've seen maybe 3 others as nice in my time here on the boards.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes. It is also a GIA stone and vendors pick and choose where they send diamonds. The wholesaler likely looked at your diamond and thought, "hmmm looks good, great color and cut, inclusions are hard to see, will get a firm SI2 from GIA, or maybe an SI1, I'll shoot it over there!" Actually, he might have even thought it would get an SI1! ETA: for resale you might even consider having it sent back to GIA for a regrade to get a cut grade and perhaps a better clarity grade. That is something you can consult a high quality appraiser about. It happens all the time that regrading results in better estimates on diamonds.

The wholesaler/owner of the diamond you just returned would have looked at it and thought, "Hmm, this will get an SI2 maybe even I1 from GIA, and color will be in the faint tint. I can make more money on it if I send it to EGL!" so there it went.

I do think ID will find you something. He found you the diamond you returned, which was pretty close. All it needs is different inclusion placement.

How did you feel about the size and color? What did Yuketeil think its true color per GIA would be? Can you have him look for GIA stones in your budget (they exist, they jus thave scary clarity and color grades, but remember they are the same or better than the EGL stone you sent back).

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
He said he thought it was a K. I would have to agree on that one. I would NOT want to go lower than a K. Actually I found the diamond that I returned in their inventory, it was one of two that I was interested in that were pulled for me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

A hundred apologies. I've not seen your lovely stone IRL--only you have and therefore I will take your definition of eye clean for what it is.

cheers--Sharon

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
you said they were very obvious, point them out, maybe I am missing something with my eagle eye. :confused:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1328490513|3119819 said:

See my previous post: I too expect a stone to be eye clean regardless of price and report if the vendor tells me it is eye clean. This stone appears to be eye clean by the typical standards used by vendors, so the argument is moot for this stone. If I want *better* than that, if I want my own personal definition of eye clean to be met, then I might need to acknowledge it is not possible to meet at some clarities and by extension, some budgets (assuming budget is driving one to look at SI2 or I1 stones).

Re: pricing. Supposedly eye clean does not matter, but apparently in practice is does ;)) Wholesalers price GIA SI2 stones with "better" inclusions higher than ones with "worse" inclusions. A stone that is technically an SI2 with a big black booger under the table visible in every lighting will cost less, maybe a lot less if the stone sits around for ages and ages and ages.

KTIceRN is an interesting example where she fully admits she wanted a needle in a haystack, super duper louper eye clean AGS SI2. She waited I think 8 months for Brian to find her one! And I bet she paid more for her SI2 than would have been charged for another SI2 that was not eye clean (not to mention her stringent cut criteria).

Thanks for responding Dreamer! And I think if I were a vendor keeping my eye out for a client for 8 months, you'd be paying the premium for my TIME. :cheeky:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal|1328492228|3119845 said:

Thanks for responding Dreamer! And I think if I were a vendor keeping my eye out for a client for 8 months, you'd be paying the premium for my TIME. :cheeky:

HA! I think it was more like Brian earmarked the next one he bought for her, since they buy stones for in house inventory and the stone she bought was a signature stone, not one from the virtual lists. That means it would have taken longer I assume. And been less work for Brian :lol:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
AllieLuv83|1328491621|3119836 said:
He said he thought it was a K. I would have to agree on that one. I would NOT want to go lower than a K. Actually I found the diamond that I returned in their inventory, it was one of two that I was interested in that were pulled for me.

Allie you can get a GIA stone K Si2 just under the 1.5ct mark for your budget or just under. I would recommend that route over looking for EGL stones just over the 1.5ct mark, since size-wise you won't be able to see the difference. It will be better value for you and better resale too if that comes up.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I actually looked up a few K SI2's on the diamond search but they all came up as dogs on the HCA.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
AllieLuv83|1328493082|3119853 said:
I actually looked up a few K SI2's on the diamond search but they all came up as dogs on the HCA.

Yuketeil will have access to many stones not likely to be in the search tool I suspect. ETA: Do you mean GIA Ex cuts that scored over 2? Not likely to be dogs. I think you should consider any GIA Ex cuts and also look for GIA VG cuts that got that cut grade because of symmetry or polish. Those are, once again, "compromises" I think make more sense than buying EGL. You can't really trust EGL proportions anyways or cut grades, so a GIA Ex will likely be a better cut, not matter its HCA score.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Allie, I just wanted to say I am sorry if I sounded too critical earlier. Dreamer is doing well at explaining my thoughts so I shouldn't have even said anything! I have never dealt with IDJ (other than I left 2 phone messages one week and no one ever returned my call) so I have no particular interest in protecting them other than to give them a break since I understand that a vendor's assessment of eyeclean may not equate with mine. I always assume a vendor's assessment might be a bit more optimistic than mine, since I am very particular and have to have good clarity. I think it is not uncommon for someone to receive an SI stone that they just can't live with. I do not blame you at all for being disappointed with the diamond. It just make a few tries to get what you want, but I really do hope you do!

winternight, I will admit that what actually upset me on this thread was your very direct statement accusing people at GOG of lying and deliberately misleading you. I have known Jonathan for almost 6 years now, and I know that there is nothing further from the truth. He doesn't do business that way because that is not who he is. I am sure he isn't perfect and can make a mistake like the rest of us. But he is as honest as they come and it did really make me upset to read what you wrote because I am sure it hurt him (and no, I did not alert him to this thread if that is what you're thinking). It would not have bothered me for you to say that you got a stone one time from GOG that was I1, and they told you it was eyeclean to them but it was not to you, and you were unhappy to have the inconvenience of returning it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1328494729|3119867 said:

Yuketeil will have access to many stones not likely to be in the search tool I suspect. ETA: Do you mean GIA Ex cuts that scored over 2? Not likely to be dogs. I think you should consider any GIA Ex cuts and also look for GIA VG cuts that got that cut grade because of symmetry or polish. Those are, once again, "compromises" I think make more sense than buying EGL. You can't really trust EGL proportions anyways or cut grades, so a GIA Ex will likely be a better cut, not matter its HCA score.

Dreamer, I just want to be sure of what you mean in the bolded part. With AGS, an excellent on polish will reduce the cut grade to Excellent from Ideal. But a GIA stone can have very good polish and still have the excellent cut grade. That is why I don't recommend GIA very good cut because it has to be something else causing it to miss the ex cut grade. Am I misunderstanding you here?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

happybear

Shiny_Rock

Dreamer_D|1328490010|3119816 said:
happybear|1328485027|3119771 said:
Christina...|1328482971|3119752 said:
My point is, that the critera of judging it's eye cleaniless shouldn't change based on the cost of the stone. If I am assessing a $1k 1 ct and a $6k 1ct, I am going to go about it the same way. It's either eye clean to my standards or it isn't.

I too am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. However that does NOT change a persons definition of what EYE CLEAN means, and I think that is ultimately the point here. IMO Alley should consider keeping the stone, however Yuketiel has assured her that he believes he can do better for her, and I think that I would trust that assurance as she evidently has decided to do.

+1

The fact is Allie has owned an eye-clean SI2 and many have mentioned that an eye-clean SI2 or even I-1 stones exist, although rare.
Criteria for being eye-clean shouldn't change based on its cost or clarity grade stated. The definition of eye-clean shouldn't be more lax or taken lightly if the stone costs less or is graded SI2 or even I-1 for that matter.

Where did anyone say that the definition of eye clean changes with budget? I certainly did not say any such thing.

From what I can see, this stone is "eye clean" by most vendors, and likely most consumers (non-PS) standards: No visible inclusions in normal/natural lighting at 10 inches for someone with normal vision. Allie herself said that you cannot see inclusions except at about 6 iches and in some lighting. So this stone is eye clean. No monkey business based on budget.

What this stone is NOT is clean enough for Allie. And that is fine! No one is saying she should keep a stone that is not making her happy. But that is where expectations and budget might diverge -- wanting a stone that is clean to *her* definition may or may not be possible at that carat weight when color and/or clarity must be compromised below one's "ideal world" preferences. There is no shame in wanting a bargain or wanting to spend less than market norms. But we need to be realistic as consumers.

Dreamer, glad we all agree that budget has nothing to do with the definition of eye-clean. Forgive me for implying you said otherwise. Like Christina, your emphasis on Allie's budget led me to think that just because she has a lower budget, a vendor can claim a diamond as eye-clean even if it is not so. In her case, it may just be a misunderstanding of what eye-clean should be. In BGD website, they stated their definition of eye-clean as 'no visible inclusions to the naked eye when viewed in the face-up position from no closer than 6" to 12".'. I'm not sure of IDJ's as they did not state their definition in their website.

Allie, hope this whole episode will have a happy ending soon!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1328495585|3119876 said:
MissStepcut|1328494986|3119870 said:
Did you see this? http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1452942.asp

Excellent find! :appl: Has strong fluorescence which may be a big bonus in a K if there are no negative effects!

Allie, you can see if IDJ can call this stone in if you are interested.
And that GIA VS2 looks eye and mind clean to me. If Allie revealed her budget, I missed it, but this looks like a winner to me.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just out of curiosity, how do you know the pricing of eye clean SI2's versus non eye clean SI2's? Makes sense but did a wholesaler tell you?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results