shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond ring size for a professional women

Menominee

Rough_Rock
I have a dilemma and was hoping to get some feedback from all.
I am a professional woman who works full time. I have a diamond ring 1.36 Ct GIA H-VS1-XXX. It is very sparkly however I always thought it was too small. I also didn't get the vintage setting I liked instead I got a simple half bezel setting. Now 10 years ago our combined household income was 150K so I guess a 1.36ct was reasonable. Most my friends have on average 2.5 ct center stone. It will be our 10 year anniversary soon and I have wanted an upgrade for a while. I am considering a 3.5-4 Ct cushion cut center stone that we have budgeted for about 30K. Keep in mind our household income is now 350K so that was reasonable to my husband. However I do have a dilemma, I am a working girl and feel wearing a 4Ct diamond to work and around mommy and me classes is flashy, and I would like to wear my diamond everyday. I could just change the setting to a beautiful tacori and be able to wear it everyday, but I might then still be envious of most the ladies around me who will still have bigger stones than I do. OR I can spend the 30K and just wear the ring on weekends and to parties and keep it simple at work with my original wedding band. Not sure what to do. I would appreciate your comments.

BeachGirlG

Shiny_Rock
If most of the women in your social circle wear 2.5+ carat diamonds, then I think you'd be fine wearing a larger diamond all the time, not just on weekends. And even if they didn't, I still think you should wear what you love.

Would you purchase a certain car based on what your friends, coworkers, or neighbors drive? Probably not...yet we seem to do this with jewelry.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Well first of all, Congrats on your upcoming 10-year Anniv. :appl:
I see your dilemma. Maybe meet in the middle and get a 3ct cushion, set low, and wear IT all the time too. I think it would fit in everywhere. It would be a shame to only wear a gorgeous ring on special occasions.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I say go for tout 4ct. It won't be awkward after a few weeks and you will feel a lot better looking at It.

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock
Don't think twice go for the 3.5ct at minimum you will never regret it!! ;-)

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds to me that this is something you really want - including the vintage setting. If it's really in your heart, I'd embrace that and go out and wear it with confidence.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you say people around you have average 2.5, does that mean there are plenty of women around you with 3-4 ct rings, too? How often are you around these people? Do you work in an environment where women DON'T have large diamonds, too? Dangerous areas? All things to consider.

How about keep your original ring to wear when you're feeling modest, and new sparkly when you want the extra flash? Or are you using your original set as a trade-in?

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
If I had the money for a diamond that size and my social circle wore around 2.5cts then of course I would get an upgrade if that is what I wanted.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary!

I would get what you want because if you don't you might be dissatisfied and yearning for a change before too long. That's what happened to me (and several others here 8) ) and I kept changing my setting because it just wasn't the diamond (and setting) I truly wanted. When I realized what my dream ring really was and I got it I was finally at peace and happy regarding my ER.

So IMO save yourself a lot of money and time and heartache and do it right the first (well second) time. And as for what others are wearing and all that jazz you have to do what you feel comfortable doing. That wasn't a concern for me (and I'm a professional and work with many different types of people from all different backgrounds) because I was comfortable and confident with my choice. So my advice is get what you truly want if you can afford to and allow yourself to enjoy it without worrying about what other people will think. Someone here said it best- haters will always hate. Don't allow them to dictate your actions in life. Do what feels right for you and what will make you happy!

kathness

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations & happy anniversary.

I would suggest to try on as many different rings with different carats to see what you are most comfortable with.

4ct cushion would be sooooo amazing! What size is your finger OP?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your 10 years!!!!!!

I'm also a professional working woman and I have upgraded from a .76ct RB to a 2.04ct RB and for my 6th anniversary upgraded again to a 5.06ct antique cushion. It did take about 3 weeks to get used to the size but honestly I'm so glad I went for exactly what I wanted. I have 2 toddlers so I completely understand what you are talking about. Though your group of friends and social circle might have larger rings, alot of other people you interact with don't. For me it is really not a big deal and I barely notice wearing my cushion anymore.

You shold also know that cushions face up smaller then other cuts. So honestly a 5ct cushion won't be as stand out as a 5ct RB (have you seen Phoenix's Holly ring?). My advise is see if you can try on some rings with 5ct cushion centers and see how you feel about it. After having a 2ct RB I personally wouldn't go below a 3.5ct cushion. But that is just me.....

Do you mind me asking what specs you are looking for with the diamond. 30k seems like a lot, but when you jump the 3ct marker the prices really go up. Pending what color range you are looking for I'm concerned you would have to up your budget. If you don't mind dropping below J then 30k is definitely doable. For cushions in my own search I check out the following vendors.

Perry at leon mege
Grace at Jewels By Erican Grace
Adam at Old World Diamonds
Mark at Engagment Rings Direct

EDIT just did a quick diamond search using the tool on PS and for 30k you can get a 3ct ish J/K/I.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd certainly think a 3 ct cushion would be wearable all the time. But I'd also plan on raising the budget. Your income certainly appears to be able to support a more generous budget. If you're going to do it, get the best quality you can!

I don't know if you are limiting your search to true antique cushions, but if you'd be interested in a newly cut antique cushion with excellent light performance, you can look at stones like these:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9647/

They have set a lot of these in Tacori settings.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To quote some dude on the internet, you only YOLO once.

If you're worried about feeling self-conscious in a group of 2.5 carat ring wearers (I'm assuming most wear rounds), you shouldn't be: odds are good that a 3.5 carat cushion will face up in the same neighborhood ... a little bigger, but not ostentatiously so. It'll be a kind of private pleasure, knowing the rarity and value of what you've got. And for that matter, while we bling-lovers notice everything that shines, for most people it never seems to register: I have a 1.5 and a 2.5 that I wear pretty interchangeably, and I don't think anybody I know (including my husband) can tell the difference between them.

- your friendly 2.5 carat wearer in an environment where most colleagues only wear bands, if that

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
This is between you and your husband and you can afford it. Forget about everyone else. I have a friend in my small community at mommy and me with her 6.7 carat pear and no one stares. enjoy be happy you have a good marriage (most don't) a successful career (most don't) children (and ably to go to there classes)

Go for the 3.-4 carat and wear it proudly.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely go for it, if that's what makes your heart sing!

Congratulations on your anniversary and upgrade!

diamondloveaffair

Shiny_Rock
bigger is better if you are comfortable with it. You might even start the trend of big stones in your community.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
100% your choice; do what makes you comfortable and happy. As an aside, I know many highly paid working professional women earning around what you are making wear absolutely no jewellery or very small ones. It is all about what is important to each individual.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you should get what you want and wear it proudly.

If I had the opportunity to buy a 3 or 4 ct, I'd be all over it and I'd wear it all the time. (I work in a professional environment)

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
I'd get a 2.75-3.50 cushion, beautiful if imperfect cut if you can find a great old one or an excellent new one, no lower than L, and put it in a fine Steven Kirsch, Leon Mege, Sebastien Barier or Single Stone setting. Again as noted above, a private pleasure to enjoy the quality of your setting. Don't look at strict carat numbers. Look at mm across on your finger. Large yet elegant. What's your finger size? Pics of what you have now? Yay for your tenth :appl:
And congrats to you and your spouse for keeping the economy going ; )

Menominee

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all your replies.
I was looking at a 3.5-4Ct I color SI clarity Excellent Cut and that is around 30K and I was goingto use my current ring ro pay for the antique setting.
What's interesting is that when I look up my current diamond which is GIA 1.36 H VS1 XXX at pricescope the reatil is around 11K but when I inquire about selling it I have been quoted 5K from vendors. :confused:

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I had your household income I would wear anything I wanted! Congrats on your upcoming anniversary!

kathness

Shiny_Rock
Hi OP - unfortunately reselling your ring to a retailer will not give you the value that you would expect.

I would suggest listing it here on pricescope or posting it somewhere like loupetroop.com and see if you get any bites... otherwise ebay?

You can also go through the consignment way...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Menominee|1368811345|3449101 said:
What's interesting is that when I look up my current diamond which is GIA 1.36 H VS1 XXX at pricescope the reatil is around 11K but when I inquire about selling it I have been quoted 5K from vendors. :confused:

That is the nature of diamond sales. Everyone buys at retail but sells back at wholesale pricing. To recoup at 50% is actually very good. You will get better pricing by selling it yourself but it takes more time and there is the element of risk (large sum of money, personal safety, private information, etc).

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Menominee|1368811345|3449101 said:
Thank you for all your replies.
I was looking at a 3.5-4Ct I color SI clarity Excellent Cut and that is around 30K and I was goingto use my current ring ro pay for the antique setting.

The fact that you got back almost half of what you paid is actually not bad at all. Diamonds are a luxury good but they don't hold value. Think of them like a car. Once you walk out of the store they immediately depreciate.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1368815423|3449150 said:
That is the nature of diamond sales. Everyone buys at retail but sells back at wholesale pricing. To recoup at 50% is actually very good.
That has to be far, far below wholesale, or else we have been lied to here. I am definitely not picking a fight with you, Chrono. But we have been told on PS for years that diamonds sold online here have only a 15%-20% markup, or maybe 25% at worst. So if "wholesale" really is $5000 and online retail is $11,000 and even presuming the vendor had to spend $350 out of pocket to "refurbish," take photographs, and list a stone, that is a full 100% markup on the diamond, and the vendor also gets the mounting that will be most likely refurbished and resold for more than enough to recoup the processing costs for relisting the diamond.

So, I think anyone would be crayzee to sell a diamond back to a PS vendor at that kind of ridiculously lowball price.

The diamond I traded back when I bought my upgrade had never been set and had never been worn. It sat in a safe in a ringholder the entire 3 years. Other than get a new report on it, that vendor had to do nothing except take pictures and list it. It was priced a good 20% higher when they relisted it, and that was in a trough in 2009 before the really big price hikes happened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TC,
I did not mean that literally; it just feels like that. :loopy: The gist of message is that a consumer buys very high but sells very low. In the coloured stone world, I have private trade inside info that wholesale pricing is around 50% of retail and no retailer is going to admit this to a consumer willingly. That said, not all of it goes to line the vendor's pocket and there are reasons why such a markup is necessary.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the "go for what you love" camp! Don't let the opinion of others hold you back from something that would make you and your DH happy , and you have the budget for , and its in the 'norm' for your social world... you'll only feel unsatisfied in a short time because you 'settled'.

Life is too short to settle - do what brings you joy and go for what you dream about!

Life is too short to wear bad bling, or compromised bling, or bad juju bling, or something you just don't *like*!

Life is also too short to drink bad wine----but that's a whole 'nuther thread!! :lol:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(Almost) all PS threads lead back to wine!

To the OP: Another in the camp of "wear what makes YOU happy!" It sounds like you have the ability to purchase something that will please YOU every time YOU look at it, so I say rock on!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1368801482|3448978 said:
100% your choice; do what makes you comfortable and happy. As an aside, I know many highly paid working professional women earning around what you are making wear absolutely no jewellery or very small ones. It is all about what is important to each individual.

+1

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results