shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond prices in south africa & buying advice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkie621

Rough_Rock
I may be traveling to cape town this summer!
I''m a poor student but would like to splurge and buy a souveneir.
I''m sure the cut/clarity/color might not be great, seems like a tourist trap. any advice/experience?
Keep in mind I''ll be buying it more for the sentimental value than the quality.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
pinkie, I used to live in Botswana, next door to SA, and I remember that even though I wanted to buy a small local diamond as a souvenir, I was unable to because all loose stones were sent to London or Antwerp and nothing could be sold in country (this was several years ago). I also have passed through SA many times and I've perused the diamond offerings at the Joberg airport. There's alot of selection, but I dont know if the stones you'd see there actually come from their either, or if they're a "deal". I know in the last few years, Debswana (the Govt of Botswana & DeBeers joint venture) is now allowing cutting of a small number of stones to be done in country and for sale in country (I think they started to understand the appeal of tourists wanting to purchase an actual Botswana-mined diamond when they were there for holiday). However, I am under the impression its a small number. If I were you, I'd start looking online for diamond dealers in Joberg, then email them directly until you find someone who will tell you if the stones in SA are actually from SA or if they are coming in from outside. It's just not clear. Please let us know what you find out! I'm curious...

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 11:43:36 PM
Author:pinkie621
I may be traveling to cape town this summer!
I''m a poor student but would like to splurge and buy a souveneir.
I''m sure the cut/clarity/color might not be great, seems like a tourist trap. any advice/experience?
Keep in mind I''ll be buying it more for the sentimental value than the quality.
Pinkie,
I''ve been to Cape Town a couple times on Holiday. One of my favorite places in the world.
The first time I was there, I bought a couple items for souvinirs. Very small diamond studs and a teen tiny ring (at the time it didn''t seem so small
emsmile.gif
). I am really not sure how the industry works, but I do think most diamonds are sent to out of country for cutting. At the time, I found prices very reasonable (bettr exhange rate?)... but because I didn''t know much about diamonds, I didn''t feel comfortable making a big purchase.

The good thing is that you have time to do some research. Learn as much as you can about the four C''s (expecially cut) and go informed. It is fun just visiting the shops.
I am sure some shops are tourist traps... the good thing is you can claim back VAT at departure.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results